2204 in a 19” rackmount? Why yes...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by teofilrocks, Jun 3, 2019.

1. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Supporting Member

I’m moving my setup to a studio rack only, but also wanted a classic Marshall circuit amp. Can’t get one from Marshall in that size, so I had to get creative. It just so happens that when I reached out to Nik at Ceriatone, he makes the 2204 with a 17” chassis. That’s very convenient, because Mesa rackmount heads all use 17” wide chassis. I took a chance and ordered the 2204 build with the mounting tabs folded under so it’s a clean 17” wide, and also ordered a Mesa straight front rackmount frame.

The Mesa frame arrived the next week. The Ceriatone arrived 9 weeks later, lol. Which makes it today. Early test fitting shows a lot of promise.

Width-wise, it fits like a glove! The rackmount frame can be flipped upside down like this, that’s how the Triple Crown heads are mounted - they just flip the badge. I need to make new holes for the mounting screw locations is all. Time to remove the Mesa logo and find something more appropriate. There’s just a small gap above the faceplate, which I expected. Maybe some weatherstripping, or better yet, white piping. :)

Not that this is the best way to go about it. But if you ever wondered if something like this was possible ... it most certainly is.

Once I get my studio rack built, I’ll update with a completed photo. But I haven’t started on it, so.. One project at a time.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    MrMoose, mixn4him, HoboMan and 17 others like this.
  2. woof*

woof* Member

I want black grill/see thru grating...watch the tubes glue in the rack :)
    Pretty cool!

teofilrocks likes this.
  3. Bentayuk

Bentayuk Supporting Member

VERY NICE!! What's the weight like?

4. teofilrocks

Not too bad actually. Certainly not any heavier than my rackmount Mark III head that’s just out of frame.

If I can ever find my scale, I’ll weight it.

Bentayuk likes this.
  5. teofilrocks

@Jason_86_951 That red cable in the last photo is going to the fx return. On the other end is the Brunetti Mille CR I got from you last year. It finally breathes through this amp. :)

6. vicdeluca71

vicdeluca71 Member

Huh,who cares?? What does it sound like should be the question

7. teofilrocks

The answer is: it sounds great!

8. gtrbarbarian

gtrbarbarian Silver Supporting Member

Very creative and nicely done. Put a Fryette PS2 in the rack below it, and that's a pretty portable rig.

teofilrocks likes this.
  9. teofilrocks

After spending some more time with the amp, I’m appreciating the things I’ve heard others mention about the 2204.

No, not a high-gain amp by today’s description by any means. Obvious why so many had them modded back in the day. But I have a Mesa Mark III for high gain, and some pedals as well for boosting.

The guitar volume is now much more useable as a tool to get different tones. My Mesa Marks, comparatively, don’t really clean up the same without also losing an amount of tone. This 2204 allows a much larger range of guitar volume settings while remaining toneful and without loosing much speaker volume. It’s terrific.

I recorded a clip last night, but I’m fighting some real noise in my house that seems to come and go and is driving me crazy. Can’t get a clean recording to demonstrate the amp yet.

Oh, and I took the silly badge off.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    trower likes this.
  10. jaykay73

jaykay73 Member

Wow that is awesome. I have a 100W Yeti. Nik builds sensational amps. Can I ask, do you have any noise issues with the power transformer and output transformer situated fairly close to each other?

JK

teofilrocks likes this.
  11. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

Dang. That thing looks great. 2204 = my favorite circuit. Do you use the PPIMV at all? I had one on mine and eventually got rid of it. I don’t feel the amp needs the PPIMV.

Nik is building me another 2204 with one special feature. Still weeks away.

And sorry to be a grammar nazi, but it’s “losing” not “loosing” in your comments about the behavior of this amp and guitar volume.

:hide

teofilrocks likes this.
  12. teofilrocks

No noise issues that I can tell. The only customization to the chassis to make it fit in a rackmount frame was to bend the mounting tabs under the chassis instead of pointing outside. Otherwise, components are in the same place as Ceriatone’s stock 2204. Their JTM45 and 50W Plexi/JMP models have the transformers in the same place.

13. teofilrocks

Right now I’m not using the PPIMV. I have the front panel Master set to ~7 and the PPIMV full up. I ordered the amp with it more as a “just in case” feature. So far, the “case” has not presented itself.

Jawohl Kapitän! fixed

Sirloin likes this.
  14. Matteo11

Matteo11 Supporting Member

Curious what special feature are you adding?

15. cardinal

cardinal Member

I could only hit the like button once but I want to smash it over and over again! That is great. Absolutely love it.

teofilrocks likes this.
  16. teofilrocks

Haha, thanks man. Appreciate it. Just wish I had come up with this idea earlier..

17. Sirloin

Nothing crazy. Still stock circuit but and added feature that may make it more useful in a gigging situation. I don't want to jinx it at this point.

Matteo11 likes this.
  18. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

19. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Great Idea.
    Bet you could do similar with a rack shelf of some sort, but this probably looks better.

I'd leave the gap for air flow, couldn't hurt.

I tend to like old car badges as logos. Just a thought.
    I have a Shelby GT350 on one, mercury logo on another, and a TGP friend sent me a Malibu SS that will go on the third build when I get off my arse.

Decaf likes this.
  20. Sirloin

OP - do you have a pic of the bottom of the amp with the mounting nuts chassis tabs?

Curious to see that. Thanks!