• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

2204 thru 2 Greenies?

guitarbilly74

Silver Supporting Member
It should be fine as long as you don't crank it. And be aware that the master volume at 4 or 5 is close to full power on a 2204. So I'd keep the volume between 1 and 3 to be safe. That said, I'd go with 65W Creambacks in a 2x12.

stilesg57

As mentioned a little earlier the WGS Invader is close but handles more power. They aren’t an exact match though. I slightly prefer them to Greenbacks but YMMV.

Another way to look at it is to think of speakers as a consumable part of your rig, like tubes or frets. You like that sound? Awesome: run it that way. Just be a little easier on the volume knob(s) and know there’s a higher risk that every couple years you have to pop for $200 in new Greenbacks to replace a blown set.

bigtone23

I run a 50 watt Bassman into a pair of Greenbacks and occasionally a 100-watt Marshall set to triode mode for half power. I like the way the greenbacks change their tone when you push them to the max.
It should be fine as long as you don't crank it. And be aware that the master volume at 4 or 5 is close to full power on a 2204. So I'd keep the volume between 1 and 3 to be safe. That said, I'd go with 65W Creambacks in a 2x12.
I had a Blonde 6G6B Bassman head and cab that I bought around 1992. The cab was loaded with a pair of 1972 Greenbacks, probably had been in there for at least 15 years. Worked perfectly.
I also used that cab with my 1984 2203 for home use. Master never over 2, home volume... No issues. Speakers were strong, not tired at all.

guitarbilly74

Silver Supporting Member
I had a Blonde 6G6B Bassman head and cab that I bought around 1992. The cab was loaded with a pair of 1972 Greenbacks, probably had been in there for at least 15 years. Worked perfectly.
I also used that cab with my 1984 2203 for home use. Master never over 2, home volume... No issues. Speakers were strong, not tired at all.
Yep. I completely agree with you. Just use a little common sense when dialing in the volume and you're good to go.

I mean techinically you could run a Marshall Major into a G12 as long as you set your gain accordingly. But would we be having this discussion if people did this and knew the exact amount of power being fed into the speaker(s)?

Part of the confusion here I believe is that speakers are rated differently and are made/ designed differently. In the US 'music program' was a prefered way of rating a speaker. There are actually examples of speakers that say "100W, 200W US" on the back. At least some of the 'twice the power' rule of thumb comes from this.

Then, as you know, amps can generate more power in overdrive than they are rated for clean + heats builds up faster at clipping.

Top Bottom