2204 vertical vs horizontal inputs

mike361

ok I know I can search but there's a Marshall mk2 lead 50 watt head for $900. It has 2 side by side inputs and I have read the vertical input version is the one to get. But usually doesn't say why this is. So any opinions are welcome if this is a noticeable thing or what. Oh and I don't know what year it is.

The pots are attached directly to the circuit board on the horizontal input versions. The vertical input version has the pots connected to the board only via wires (flying leads). So, if a pot goes bad, it's much easier to change out the one on a vertical input version. There are probably other reasons as well - I'm sure.

illini

Depending on the year, Marshall changed the number of filter caps on the 100 watt models, so people like to stay away from them. It happened around the same time they switched from vertical inputs to horizontal. So it is a good visual identification for people. On the 50 watt models Marshall didn't change much outside of the inputs. Plug into it and see if it sounds good to you. $900 sounds a bit high to me, but I haven't looked in awhile.

Last edited:

rstites

Yeah, I've been watching to see if I can pick up an old JMP2203 (like the one I sold a decade ago). I don't see them under $1k. Heck, I don't see the JMP ones under $1300.

JCM800s go for a little less, and the horizontal inputs for even less, but i think everything is still north of $1k.

Don A

Gold Supporting Member
Around here, the vertical input JCM800s have skyrocketed in price with the horizontal input amps following closely behind!

big mike

Fixed Bias at 70%
Platinum Supporting Member
ok I know I can search but there's a Marshall mk2 lead 50 watt head for $900. It has 2 side by side inputs and I have read the vertical input version is the one to get. But usually doesn't say why this is. So any opinions are welcome if this is a noticeable thing or what. Oh and I don't know what year it is.

With the 100 watters, the vertical is a bit better. Because they changed filtering, etc.
With the 2204's there's no real difference other than pots and jacks are board mounted.

Don't buy the ********. If it sounds good, it is good.

mixn4him

Silver Supporting Member
Later 800's including the Vertical have higher voltages so a different feel and tone from earlier versions, still a great amp at that price...

big mike

Fixed Bias at 70%
Platinum Supporting Member
Later 800's including the Vertical have higher voltages so a different feel and tone from earlier versions, still a great amp at that price...

More higher voltages than JMP era, but again most of thechanges hit the 100 watts 2203s.

2204's were pretty static +/- 20 volts or so.

Tommy Biggs

Silver Supporting Member
900 is not a bad price, (depending on condition) up here in the ny York metro.
Totally worth it if you can deal with some volume. By that I mean that you aren't trying to get that 4x12 sound at "nighttime in an apartment building" volume.;)

JCM 800

The 100 watt differences aren't that huge, but the filtering is different. 50 watts are the same outside of the pcb mounted pots and jacks. Don't let the vertical vs horizontal sway you, they are both killer amps.

mike361

Great replies from everyone. The amp is actually in very good shape and I'me hoping to trade up for it. Have not heard it yet though. Hopefully this wknd. If it works out I'll either use a 2x12 with 1 wgs British lead and 1 wgs vet 30 in it, or a evh 4x12 with the heritage speakers.

Braciola

Gold Supporting Member
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.
Older Marshall of the same model, are inconsistent from one another.
Some are tone monsters, some are dogs......... you've got to play them.

Laurence

Gold Supporting Member
I've had both, and would buy either again given the chance (at a reasonable price). Master volume, okay. Duel channels, no. I'm not caring so much about the brand, and have been using Mig-60s for this purpose for well over ten years. Still love the basic Marshalls...

Geeze

Older Marshall of the same model, are inconsistent from one another.

This in a nutshell! I believe much of the 'model XX with the Y are bad/lame/suck' statements are based on ONE sample. Get back to me when you've tried 10-20 of the same model with the same results using the same guitar and speakers - otherwise the conclusion is flawed. I have a '78 [which needed some cap love] and '82 4210 [which I've been told suck in comparison to later versions - no one informed my amp of this...] and one of 'lame' 900 2500 MKIII's that all sound great to me through GB's and Scumbacks.

Play it if you love buy it!

Russ

Trending Topics

Top Bottom