220K 1/2 Watt Resistor - Is this right?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by CloneTone, Dec 6, 2018.

1. CloneTone

CloneTone Member

Hi guys,

I've been trying to get a 220K 1/2 Watt Metal Film resistor, for over a month now.

Over the last month, I've been sent a 22K ohm resistor, a 220K ohm Metal Oxide resistor, and now after another two weeks, I have the correct value, the correct film type, but look how small this thing is, is this really 1/2 Watt?:

[​IMG]

I want to place the correct resistor, between the reverb Pedal and the reverb input, of a '65 Princeton clone.

2. Kyle B

Kyle B Supporting Member

They're fine. There are new resistor materials on the market which can handle more heat in a smaller package - you got one of them. I got caught off guard by that when I ordered those same resistors from Mouser a couple years ago.

If you really want to be sure, go to the MOUSER website and punch in their part number. That'll get you a link to the manufacturers datasheet. The datasheet will give you a physical size as well as rated power dissipation for the exact resistor you have in your hand. Though reading the datasheet might make you dizzy... (You'll see....)

HotBluePlates and CloneTone like this.
  3. CloneTone

CloneTone Member

Thanks, Kyle. It's good to know I'm finally going in the right direction.

Kyle B likes this.
  4. gldtp99

gldtp99 Member

If you want modern Metal Film resistors that are similar in size to the old Carbon Comp/Carbon Film 1/2 watt resistors then order the modern 2 watt Metal film resistors.