1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

2290 v Eclipse v Eventide PCM92

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by merkaba22, May 17, 2011.

1. merkaba22

merkaba22 Member

My primary amp has an insert, Pre-amp Out/Power Amp In configuration -- I plan to add in a buffered device between the Pre-amp Out and the effects processor -- right now I am about to explore the Roddenberg FlexLoop 3D.

The 2290 looks great because it will create a parallel effects loop due to its dry signal pass-thru feature (AFAIK) and has a number of midi-switchable loop inserts so one could have another effects unit connected where any patch used for a 2290 preset would also control whether the second effects unit would be in the signal chain (I presume this would be serial to the 2290 effect engaged at the time).

Aside from this interesting feature, the Eclipse and PCM92 have ducked/dynamic delays as well as fairly nice reverbs, choruses, etc. -- are there any other feature considerations worth noting or actual use experiences that may shed some light on the decision which to purchase?

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  2. Dashface

Dashface Member

The 2290 is used by the big delay guys (The Edge, Gilmour, etc) for a reason. It is the best if you can find one, at least in my opinion :)

3. merkaba22

merkaba22 Member

While that is correct, there are piles of major players who have used Eventide's and Lexicon's units

4. sbr

sbr Member

Gilmour has also used a T Rex Replica in lieu of his Cornish / MXR delays so that must be half decent.

5. everglass

everglass Member

I have the 2290 and I HAD an Eclipse. PCM92 is another good option but it's a different sound. My personal fav is the 2290.

6. apoyando

apoyando Supporting Member

I have both 2290 and the Eclipse...the 2290 is unique tonally ,and subjectively just has some " mojo " to it that's hard to explain, but may be the result of its oversampling and actual " chips " versus software in its delay creation ( please correct me if I've misunderstood something about it's design) . It works great as a loop selector for other effects..effectively you get 4 mono loops and one stereo loop that can be switched via pedal, midi associated with preset, or via front panel..these loops will also allow you to change amp channels or control any function that uses a pull to ground fo0tswitch. It also ( due to the analog dry path) can sound quite good in front of an amp. The Eclipse is way more than a delay of course, excellent reverbs, the TimeFactor and Mod Factor pedals are included, and an excellent sound design tool..phaser, trems, choruses,etc ( though the TC will do trem/chorus instead of a
    " pure " delay "...you can use a line mixer to hook up the Eclipse in parallel to preserve the analog dry, though some effects will suffer of course

7. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've got an original H3000 d/se, have owned some lexicon stuff and still have a 2290. For delay alone, the 2290 is in a class of its own. The delays just sound great, sit perfectly and animate beautifully. You can get some really nice sounds from Eventide and Lexicon but if it's just delay, go for the 2290.

For the other stuff, I'd probably go Lexicon for reverb and Eventide for special effects...

8. scottl

scottl Member

2290 kills the others IMO. I have an Eclipse, and a couple newer TC units. The dry path of the 2290 is the KEY.

Running an Eclipse with a mixer or Suhr MiniMix woudl be up there! You'd sacrifice soem of the crazy wet effects but the Verbs and Delays would be stellar.

Keep the dry ANALOG. It works.

9. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

BTW, the 2290 switches presets INSTANTLY.

even the best Eventides and Lexicons have some lagtime.

I wouldn't trade my 2290 for anything. It just sounds perfect.

The only minus - It's tough to get them fixed if something breaks.