24 3/4" scale on a Tele-style guitar - thoughts/opinions..?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by erksin, Feb 4, 2006.

1. erksin

erksin Member

Guys -

I'm composing a guitar in my head right now and what I'm really after is a Gibson scale Tele w/3-barrel standard Tele bridge. My question to anyone who has one (or has played one):

Can you still get great Tele honk/twang/bite with this scale length?

My biggest concern is that it could sound flabby or mushy - I still want that nice big "BRRRANNNG" for chording. I use big strings (10-52) so this should help - but since I don't have the ability to play one myself before commiting, I'm seeking your advice...

Thanks in advance!

2. gitman

gitman Member

I built a Warmoth Tele with a conversion neck and it came out great. playability moved up 2 notches for me, tone is fat but still pure Tele. definitely a worthwile endeavor !

3. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

I had a Hollow Cobra with a 24 3/4" scale and I did get Fender type tones but with the three mini-humbuckers and hollow cavities, not a real Tele twang.

4. flicker180

flicker180 Member

i was going to say that my Anderson cobra (not hollow) did a great job of tele feel, but again, wrong pickups to get the twang.

dave

5. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Methinks that the Tele Jr's had the shorter scale. Wicked guitars, those Tele Jr's.

6. erksin

erksin Member

Thanks for the replies guys!

Sounds like the consensus is that it should still sound like a Tele. I'm not going for 100% authenticity, just want the general vibe. I'm thinking that between the bridge/saddles and the pickup I should be fine.

7. leoman57

leoman57 Guest

That's all I play, warmoth conversion necks on tele and strat bodies. It changes the sound a lot. I have tried a lot of different pickups and woods and had a few regular fender scale necks too. It seems to bring the focus of the guitar pitch up like the difference between a violin and a viola. Like the difference between a guitar tuned to Eb and E. It's hard to describe until you play them side by side. For instance you can't really do SRV with a strat and a conversion neck, it just doesn't sound right, I tried. The guitar has more bite to it and less whine. It changes the whole voice of the guitar. I personally like the sound of the longer scale but because of my short fingers I have to play the 24 3/4" scale. I have trouble playing chords in the G position as it is, like a I-IV-V Chuck Berry progression. After about 48 bars my hand cramps up. Of course the arthritic joints don't help.

8. analog orange

analog orange Member

On a strat or tele, 24 3/4 necks always sound a bit chunkier with a smoother high end. It doesn't mean that it can't be bright, but I'm pretty sure it shifts the harmonic center of the guitar. Less brittle to my ears. I prefer them. i haven't seen that much difference in playability. With 12-52 strings the tone is not going to get flabby or tubby. Just not gonna happen.

If you buy a conversion neck go through USA Custom. Tommy Rosamond is an incredibly generous man. See thread I just started.

9. MVrider

MVrider Member

Nope. 25.5" scale.

The longer scale length is a big part of the Fender sound. And the Martin sound and the sound of the Gibson archtops such as L-5's, ES-5's, Super 400's. Les Pauls are a shorter (24.75") scale but most of Les Paul's classic recordings were made on "The Log" which had a 25.5" scale neck from an Epiphone, not the shorter scale length of the mass-produced instruments.

Because of the greater mass of the string for a given string diameter and the higher tension required to achieve the same pitch, a longer scale is generally said to give more "piano-like" sound - richer bass, clearer trebles and better intonation on a fretted instrument.

10. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

Another option....I had USACG make a tele neck with 25.5 scale, 21 fret, 12" radius, soft V profile and 6105 frets. It plays and bends so darn nice you would swear it's a Gibson scale neck.