24 3/4 Scale Strat - Warmoth or Custom Builder?

Gallery

Silver Supporting Member
I want a 24 3/4" scale Stratocaster. Yes I know it will no longer sound like or be a strat. I don't care. 25" scale is too long of a reach for my smaller hands for certain rhythm and lead parts. I love the comfort of a Strat body, but I need the Gibson scale.

I was thinking of building my own with Warmoth parts, but wanted to check in here if there are any builders who make these standard that I should also consider. I was a true vintage style strat body. Not a hard edged super strat.

Nutopian

No firsthand experience but I have been intrigued by GuitarsByDesign's Gibson scale necks and occasional complete builds pop up on eBay and reverb.

ledzep618

I have a Warmoth 24 3/4" conversion neck on my Strat. Build quality is impeccable and it is my # 1 guitar. And yes it sounds like a Strat. Don't listen to the mindless drones here that cry foul over the shorter scale or the double truss rod - I guarantee you that they've never even played a conversion Strat, they're just posting unfounded opinions. You could not pick mine out from a line up for not sounding like a Strat, and I have the recordings to prove it...

smallbutmighty

Silver Supporting Member
I want a 24 3/4" scale Stratocaster. Yes I know it will no longer sound like or be a strat. I don't care. 25" scale is too long of a reach for my smaller hands for certain rhythm and lead parts. I love the comfort of a Strat body, but I need the Gibson scale.

I was thinking of building my own with Warmoth parts, but wanted to check in here if there are any builders who make these standard that I should also consider. I was a true vintage style strat body. Not a hard edged super strat.
Don't be so sure. The scale length difference, in and of itself, has less effect on tone that a lot of other factors. I've played lots of conversion necks that sound plenty "Stratty". The biggest difference will be in the feel.

Gallery

Silver Supporting Member
Don't be so sure. The scale length difference, in and of itself, has less effect on tone that a lot of other factors. I've played lots of conversion necks that sound plenty "Stratty". The biggest difference will be in the feel.
Thanks, but I was really just trying cut off all the useless comments from the annoying people who would ignore my question and make comments on how it will no longer be a strat with a shorter scale. In reality this guitar will get humbuckers and a hardtail so my intention is not for it sound like a strat anyway. I really just want the strat body, which I find very comfortable.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
It won't sound like a Strat if you use hb pups.
The scale length has very little to do with it.
Just to add to the useless comments section.:D

swiveltung

I have been playing 24.75 conversion necks on strats for a while now. I think I have had 4 conversion necks and am finishing one right now. Easier on my old hands. It works pretty well.
Having said that, low notes on the Low E string are less robust for sure.... just doesn't sound the same. But is acceptable. Get's increasingly worse the further up you go on the low E string.
There are some Japanese short scale strats sold I think. For necks I would buy MusiKraft, USACG, maybe Best with a single truss rod.... or get Warmoth to make one that way. You wont find it in their ready made necks though (which are much better pricing than a custom build)
Have you ever tried capoing at fret #1 and tuning down to E?

Wildwind

I have three Warmoths and access to several others. Without exception, they are all great guitars. One of mine is h/h - long scale. And it still sounds pretty much like a Strat. It might even be my best-sounding guitar, and I have a few.

For a short-scale, I would not hesitate to go Warmoth. Quality exceeds current factory Fenders IMO (and I think Fender is making some great guitars these days). I've toyed with a conversion for a long time now, am getting close to pulling the trigger.

Gallery

Silver Supporting Member
I have been playing 24.75 conversion necks on strats for a while now. I think I have had 4 conversion necks and am finishing one right now. Easier on my old hands. It works pretty well.
Having said that, low notes on the Low E string are less robust for sure.... just doesn't sound the same. But is acceptable. Get's increasingly worse the further up you go on the low E string.
I find that to be true about any Strat. I don't actually like Strats. I just like the Strat body.

For necks I would buy MusiKraft, USACG, maybe Best with a single truss rod.... or get Warmoth to make one that way. You wont find it in their ready made necks though (which are much better pricing than a custom build)
I like fat necks. I'd be ordering the Warmoth with the Fatback profile in mahogany. So I'd think there'd be enough wood to counteract the issues that some people claim about the dual action truss rod.

Have you ever tried capoing at fret #1 and tuning down to E?
I have, but I would not want to do that permanently.

vltjd

Gold Supporting Member
Make sure to check their "in stock" necks. Some are quite nice and far cheaper than a custom build, if they suit your purpose.

Not a base player but needed a short scale bass. None available at the time suited my needs. Acquired a body and neck from Warmoth, and there it was, exactly as wanted.

westex

Disgruntled Optimist
Gold Supporting Member
I have a short scale HH strat bodied guitar; neck from USACG. Great feel, great neck; USACG is the best for necks in my book. Tom Anderson builds short scale stratty type guitars. They are also not too shabby. :) I actually prefer the longer scale guitars; I have big hands.

jgyn

There's a MIJ Strat at a nearby store that has a 24.75 neck, and the body is smaller by the same percentage.

RayBarbeeMusic

Gold Supporting Member
Yes I know it will no longer sound like or be a strat.
XXX

I had a 24&3/4" neck made for me back in '91. It's been on a strat body for 25 years. It *DOES* sound like a strat. 100%, no doubt. If I handed it to you and didn't tell you it was short scale, you'd never know. Or at least, no one else has ever made that call before being told. A lot of players have played it over the years, no one ever said "hey is that a short scale?" I had to tell them.

So it will sound like and be a "strat", just with a shorter scale.

I'd ditto on the USA Custom neck as the maker. Their fretboard planning seems to be better than Warmoth, they add (or try to add) some fallaway.

GaryMcT

Platinum Supporting Member
I believe Tom Anderson makes Gibson-scale strat-like guitars, if you are looking for something custom.

Nutopian

There's a MIJ Strat at a nearby store that has a 24.75 neck, and the body is smaller by the same percentage.
Just to add, Warmoth has a 7/8 size s-style body that will accept either their 24 fret Gibson scale non-conversion warhead neck or a 24inch short scale mustang/Jaguar neck.

swiveltung

I find that to be true about any Strat. I don't actually like Strats. I just like the Strat body.

I like fat necks. I'd be ordering the Warmoth with the Fatback profile in mahogany. So I'd think there'd be enough wood to counteract the issues that some people claim about the dual action truss rod.

I have, but I would not want to do that permanently.
I don't have a tone problem with dual truss rods, but I had two conversion necks here a couple months ago, one a Best single rod and one a Warmoth dual side adjust rod. Huge weight difference.... and the Best was heavier profile. Steel weighs a lot I guess!

Last edited:

rambleon

I have 2 warmoth builds- not 24-3/4" scale but still, the necks are stellar. Very well built and super resonant.

swiveltung

Make sure to check their "in stock" necks. Some are quite nice and far cheaper than a custom build, if they suit your purpose.

Not a base player but needed a short scale bass. None available at the time suited my needs. Acquired a body and neck from Warmoth, and there it was, exactly as wanted.
The problem with their in stock guitar necks is they are mostly all compound radius, all dual acting truss rods (side adjust). If that's what you want , great. You can custom order anything you want from Best ($168) or Musikraft for the same cheap price. If you custom order from WM, it'll be a lot more money. Nice necks though.

Trending Topics