24-7 Spyz anybody else check them out? Think I first saw them on Beavis and Butthead

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Jazzandmore, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

I think I saw this song one day while watching B&B. Really liked it so I went used CD store and found their album Strength in Numbers. Was surprised that I liked most of the songs a lot.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  2. big mike

big mike David Grissom Wannabee Gold Supporting Member

Found out about them due to a robin guitars flyer with the dude playing a machete I think

Killer band

musicnut24-7 and sahhas like this.
  3. fretless

fretless Supporting Member

The singer was from my hometown. Shared a few bills with him and the band he was in at the time. I played a few open mic nights as part of an improv band where he was the drummer. He was great behind the kit. A very good dude and very talented.

24-7 Spyz were a good band. I always thought they were just a hair before their time as shortly after they broke into the scene quite a few bands were similar to them style wise.

Billyzoom1, A-Bone and musicnut24-7 like this.
  4. Thevenin

Thevenin Member

They played at SIU-Carbondale student center back in 1989 with the "Harder than You" CD. Blew me away with the guitar work and energy of that band. Saw them many times after that in St. Louis. At the time, I was just learning to play and tried to pick up a couple songs. No chance with the solos. Jimi Hazel plays effortlessly. Wish they could have made it big in the industry.

5. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Cool band and good guitarist.

Jimi Hazel is a member here. @musicnut24-7

6. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

Really? That’s cool!

Shout out to @musicnut24-7 then.

7. Megatron

Megatron Member

Kind of ironic. I listened to 'Traveling Day' for the first time in a long, long time yesterday.

musicnut24-7, sahhas and Phil M like this.
  8. rnm14

rnm14 Member

Loved the album „Heavy Metal Soul by the Pound“ when it came out in 96 or so. As a matter of fact I‘m going to dig out the CD and listen to it thanks to this thread.

musicnut24-7, sahhas and Phil M like this.
  9. B Money

B Money Member

oh yeah, I loved the Spyz back in the day. I worked in a record store back then and we got promo copies of some of their stuff. Used to play it in the store all the time, but the "rural" folk where I lived were not into it. They wanted the latest Garth Brooks CD.
    I used to play Vinnie Moore in the store too. Hipped a couple local guitar players to his stuff, that was gratifying.

fretless, musicnut24-7 and sahhas like this.
  10. Kentano2000

Kentano2000 Member

I got into the Spyz with their debut release. Saw them at the 9:30 Club and at a tiny little venue at VA Tech. They played some great gigs with Egypt (local DC legends) back in the day as well. Great band!

11. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

I had their first album on CASSETTE!! I really liked it. the local "underground" music 'zine in our area gave it a great review.
    I also had their 2nd album too....and I thought it was a great album as well....they sort of came out a bit after Living Colour, but honestly they had some great material....
    always thought this was a cool album cover:
    [​IMG]

12. dansworld

dansworld Member

Man, that was a while ago. I got to see them at Summers on Fort Lauderdale Beach. I loved them!

While we're at it, don't forget (from the same era) "Psychofunkapus".

13. 9 is 6

9 is 6 Member

I saw Primus open for 24-7 Spyz, once. There were about 30 people in the room.

14. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

I don't think I knew he played Robins back in the day, here's a cool one:
    [​IMG]
    and this is a cool guitar:
    [​IMG]

15. wombat66

wombat66 Member

Great band!

musicnut24-7 and sahhas like this.
  16. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

They just released a new album which I’m totally digging.

17. musicnut24-7

musicnut24-7 Member

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  18. aliensporebomb

aliensporebomb Member

Super happy - the last record that was out was "Face the Day" which I liked a lot (I especially liked "Unknown Wellknown" where there was a mini Spyz history lesson in the lyrics).
    The whole record was great.

I will DEFINITELY check the new one out.

The other cool thing about Spyz is if they do cover material, they make it their own in a unique way. Stuff like Sponji Reggae, Stand! + Jungle Boogie and they would surprise with the occasional humorous track (Spyz on Piano!).

Great guitar playing and good songs and rocking production that bear repeated listening. I also am pretty sure there's some closet jazz influences in the band (tracks like Dude U Knew with the cool jazzy chords, Earth & Sky with the bells following the guitar melody has a bit of a 70s fusion vibe etc).

Ok, gotta check out the new Spyz release!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  19. soma

soma Member

Ah man I love 24-7 Spyz. Got into them through loving Living Colour and chasing other bands fusing rock with rap and funk.

'Harder than you' is a phenomenal album and @musicnut24-7 I just want to tell you how influential you were a young teenage white kid across the Atlantic. Can't wait to hear your new work!

20. SliderJeff

SliderJeff Member

Very cool! I have their EP, "This is 24-7 Spyz" and just dusted it off for the first time in ages this week! Super freaky to see a thread about them the same week. Glad to hear they are still alive and kicking!

Regs,
    Jeff

fretless and Kentano2000 like this.