24.75" Neck - What size frets won't make for a cramped neck?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by DanielT2, Jul 31, 2008.

1. DanielT2

DanielT2 Member

I'm ordering a 24.75" conversion neck for a strat and am wondering what's the biggest fret I can put on without getting a "cramped" feeling in the upper register? I am thinking of using stainless steel 6105's, 6100's or maybe a medium jumbo sized fret - I want something really easy to bend on due to tendonitis.

Any advice? Thanks!

2. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

#6105 is an overall nice fret. May take a bit to get use to if you like a wider wire.

3. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

6105 or I think the 6125 is cool and should be fine. I have played a many short scale with 6100 wire and did nt feel cramped. It is only a 3/4 inch over like 25" spread, I would get what you are normally comfortable with but 6105 would be a safe bet.

4. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Medium jumbo?

5. Soapbarstrat

Soapbarstrat Senior Member

I even owned a 24.75" scale neck guitar with .110" wide frets. Didn't think anything of it. The tips of a person's fingers have a very tight radius. So it's not like the whole width of you finger is fitting down between the frets.

Now 6100's on a Mandolin... might get a cramped feeling there (maybe more so from a bunch of bluegrass players jumping out of the woodwork !)

But the dual size frets on a neck has a cool factor. I used to be in more favor of it when I didn't mind if the 2 sizes had a height difference of a thou or two. But these days I would much prefer all the frets to have the *exact* same height "out of the box" to keep leveling/recrowning to the absolute minimum.

6. DanielT2

DanielT2 Member

Thanks for the responses guys.