24 Bit Albums on Bandcamp

Discussion in 'Home Audio (Stereo Systems)' started by SolidGuitar, Sep 15, 2019.

1. SolidGuitar

SolidGuitar Member

I posted this in the Sound Hound Lounge and got no reply. I figured the hi-fi folks might have some thoughts...

Anyone know how to tell if an album on Bandcamp is 24 bit (WAV, FLAC, ALAC), before buying? I've downloaded some 24 ALAC albums, but some are just 16 bit. Reading the site, it seems as though it is up to the band/label whether they upload a 24 or 16 WAV to the site for later encoding.

It would nice to know in advance of paying, and the faq section doesn't help.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have! And feel free to list and albums, or labels that exclusively upload 24 bit albums.

2. Teal_66

Teal_66 Member

I would think that if the artist had a better-than-average format on Bandcamp, it would be mentioned and offered as an alternate to download. I do know that when I had my record mastered, we had an option to submit MFIT files to iTunes. Those files are definitely better quality, and incur extra expense, and you can only get that option on iTunes. I recall that the base bit rate was still 24, but a different process is utilized that is supposed to sound better. On iTunes, it's clearly shown with a blue label on the album's download page. I'm not an engineer, so I'm not qualified to speak to the technical sides of MFIT files.

SolidGuitar likes this.
  3. SolidGuitar

SolidGuitar Member

So, after some digging, it seems there is no way to tell in advance if the ALAC, FLAC, or WAV you're buying on Bandcamp is 24 bit. Looking at my collection, some are 24 bit and some are not.

I emailed a few labels and some said vague things like "we always upload the best quality audio we have".

That's a shame, because I'm guessing many people would want to buy high-res audio from Bandcamp given that it's often way cheaper than other sites.