24 frets and single coil pups?

cragginshred

Please bring me up to speed on the dynamics that change for a single coil neck pup when you have a 24 fret guitar.
Then I'm looking for suggestions for a single coil pup to match a humbucker in the bridge position for a 24 fret guitar. Also it would need to be pretty hot. The 'Injector' by Dimarzio was suggested but all the clips I've heard were not what I'm looking for.

Able to get creamy shred solos as well as 80's style cleans 'Alone again 'children of the sea' ect!

GMGM

I think TGP tends to overstate the importance of the "sweet spot" when it comes to a neck pickup on a 24 fret guitar.

In my opinion, just about any pickup can sound great. No need to overthink it.

If you're looking for something hot enough to compete with a bridge humbucker, you could look at the Quarterpounders from Duncan. I put in a quarterpounder tele neck pickup to match my tele's output and I really dig it. The bridge pickup is really hot, like as loud or louder than a humbucker.

This is one custom Jem-O-Strats (it's basically a copy of the Ibanez jem but disguised to look/sound like a strat with a hardtail bridge).

therhodeo

Please bring me up to speed on the dynamics that change for a single coil neck pup when you have a 24 fret guitar.
Then I'm looking for suggestions for a single coil pup to match a humbucker in the bridge position for a 24 fret guitar. Also it would need to be pretty hot. The 'Injector' by Dimarzio was suggested but all the clips I've heard were not what I'm looking for.

Able to get creamy shred solos as well as 80's style cleans 'Alone again 'children of the sea' ect!

Mincer

I've never heard a sweet spot for the neck pickup in a 24 fret guitar. There is no way it can sound the same. I've had good luck with a good sound with a Stra-Bro 90, which has the output of a P90. For noiseless, I have used an STK-S6, which is quiet and powerful.

Tri7/5

Hot rails in the neck if you need some stout output. Super creamy fluid leads and it does it very well. If that's too much you can always try a cool rails as well.

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
A single-coil neck pickup and 24 frets does't really work for me. And hard to balance if you have a humbucker that's hot.
I do think the DiMarzio Air Norton S would work great, hot enough to keep up with a JB, and is quite dynamic and sweet, and has some SC qualities even if it's a humbucker in SC form. I have one in a regular 21-fret strat now, but would have no issues using it with a 24-fretter.

T Dizz

I put a JB Jr in the neck of my LTD Lynch and I really like it. I would go with that or a blade for what you're looking for.

jvin248

This is what you are fighting when trying to get a 24 fret neck pickup to sound like a 22.
Image here I did a while back for some other stuff but you can imagine duplicating this on a Strat single coil pushed back.
In the humbucker world this is the tone shift in a LP vs SG.
For a regular style Strat you are essentially trying to make a middle pickup sound like a neck pickup. You can do it but it's more of a challenge. Like you need to add a little tone knob roll off.

I would start with lowering your 24 fret Strat neck pickup to the pickguard as well as the bridge pickup. Then only raise the bridge pickup enough to get volume parity between the neck and bridge.

Guitarwiz007

Gold Supporting Member
I think TGP tends to overstate the importance of the "sweet spot" when it comes to a neck pickup on a 24 fret guitar.

In my opinion, just about any pickup can sound great. No need to overthink it.
I tend to agree with this statement. While there is a slight difference, when you're wailing away on that neck pickup, especially in a live setting, you're not even going to think about it. I've played many 24 fret guitars with singles and it's just not a big deal. To me, getting a better output match with the humbucker is much more important.

cragginshred

Any love for the Dimarzio 'Injector' here? It was suggested for my PC-1 neck position, however the clips I've heard were dark and not what I'm looking for.

Guitarwiz007

Gold Supporting Member
Any love for the Dimarzio 'Injector' here? It was suggested for my PC-1 neck position, however the clips I've heard were dark and not what I'm looking for.
IIRC, the PC-1 uses the Super 3 in the bridge and an HS2 in the middle with the Sustainer at the neck. I'm assuming you removed the original Sustainer. Since there is an HS2 in the middle, I would probably try an HS4 in the neck. Should be brighter than an injector and balance with the HS2 better. If you're trying to balance the neck with the bridge HB, again, I would put in a Chopper. Just my two cents.

Trending Topics