24 hour countdown - necessary?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by kidmo, Jan 23, 2015.

1. kidmo

kidmo Member

Just got a guitar in from Chicago Music Exchange with the big tag that says Do Not Open for 24 Hours!! I know it's cold up there and I'm in Louisiana where it's 43. Anybody violate the 24 hour rule and suffer the consequences? Is it just the nitro they're worried about or will I envoke a neck twist from the gods? It's killin me :waiting

2. Synex7254

Synex7254 Member

Just open it. I've never waited that long after receiving a new guitar...not could I!

3. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

Take it out of the box, but leave it in the case. Put it in a cooler room. Wait a few hours. Open. Play.

4. kidmo

kidmo Member

That's what I was thinkin, just leave it in the case for a couple of hours. Maybe crack it open a couple times.

5. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I would leave it more than a couple of hours just to be extra safe, especially considering that it came from a colder climate. I agree with taking the case out of the box, but nitro finishes can be very sensitive to temp. changes, so I'd wait at least six hours or so. The most sensitive guitars are HB's and acoustic's though, so if that's the category, I'd be even more cautious.

6. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

+1 more; take it out of the box (removing it from the bubble of cold air inside the box) and leave it in the case in your house (no peeking, that first shock of temperature change is what does the damage!); 24hrs is excessive, though, if you get it in the morning, open it that night, if you get it at night, open it the next morning.

7. kidmo

kidmo Member

Finally!!, Cracked the lid this morning, did wait 12 hours, it was worth it
    [​IMG]

8. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I think the wait was fine. It would be a shame to open it up and watch that lovely finish spiderweb and crackle.
    Winter is just dreadful for guitar care and shipping
    HNGD

9. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

If you didn't wait the 24 hours and something happened, they wouldn't have to cover it. Of course, how would they know?

10. ItJustRocks

ItJustRocks Gold Supporting Member

Its not that cold in the midwest right now. I think you would be fine. If you're paranoid don't open it for a couple hours. If it went from -10 (and was in that temp for along time) to a 70 degree house than I might take more precaution, but 30-ish to 43 to your house, I say just open it.

11. kracdown

kracdown Custom User Title Gold Supporting Member

I had a nitro finished P bass delivered to me in Chicago when it was in the negatives with windchill a couple weeks ago. Brought it inside. Left in the box for a few hours. Took out the case, didn't open it, left a few more hours. Took out the bass and it was totally fine. 6 hours of waiting....

12. Mr God

Mr God Member

It would be impossible, unless of course someone posted it on the internet. ;)