25.5" Scale Jaguar: not a Jag anymore?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by kinmike, Sep 19, 2012.

1. kinmike

kinmike Supporting Member

When I got my '65 back in '83 I wondered why people prefer Strats and Tele's. The Jag is much more complex sounding, complex in a good way. It has at least three awesome tones, bridge only, necl only and the showcase bridge and neck together (way better than a tele). I think it comes down to the short scale turning people off.

So the $1M dollar question is: why don't they make 25.5" scale Jaguars? It seems like a no brainer. Jazzmasters get you halfway (but only halfway) there with the neck scale, body and same bridge and trem. Is there something in the long scale that would degrade the sublime Jag tone?

Did someone bring this up in the long Johnny Marr Jag thread?

Mike

2. EtaCarinae

EtaCarinae Member

Well, besides the fact that it would mostly be a Jazzmaster at that point - I think it is the scale length that gives the Jaguar its particular brand of tone. To my ears, I would classify it as "harmonically rich".

To answer your question more directly, the longer the scale length gets, the more of the fundamental you get, and the less of the harmonics you get when the string is plucked. I am of the opinion that scale length is one of biggest factors that affect the tone of the guitar. I think it affects it more than the wood choices (although I go back and forth on that - so I imagine this point is somewhat controversial).

Bottom line - it would stop sounding like a Jaguar with a different scale length.

3. losergeek

losergeek Member

Sorry if this is obvious but what do you consider the defining quality of a jaguar if it's not the scale? It seems that both jags and jassmasters offer a variety of pickup options so what's missing on a jazzmaster that you want?

4. Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates Member

Short scale is a huge Jag selling point to me. It's been said already, and they're not entirely the same, but: if I wanted a longer scale Jag, I'd buy a Jazzmaster.

5. kinmike

The defining quality of any guitar is never the scale, it's the sound. Jazzmasters never sounded as good to me. This is just my opinion and I say it with good will and realize others certainly disagree.

I was just wondering if you can duplicate the sound of a Jag with a 25.5" scale, or is the scale integral to the sound? Perhaps Etacarinae above has the answer. But "mostly a Jazzmaster" wouldn't do it for me.

Mike

6. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

Scale length affects sound. It'd be interesting to swap the electronics and compare.

7. GreenKnight18

GreenKnight18 Member

I have what is essentially a custom build 25.5 guitar with Jaguar parts (pickups, trem, Mastery bridge, etc. ). It sounds like a cousin of the Jaguar-- close, but it's missing that extra zip that makes a Jaguar a Jaguar... in other words, the 24" scale is essential.

8. memiller

memiller Member

The two are inextricably linked.

No you can't. Yes it is. For the same reason that a 24.75" Strat won't sound quite like a Strat. This is physics, and you can't argue with physics. Altering the scale length necessarily changes things such as bridge and pickup placement on the guitar itself unless you're using a conversion neck in which case the pickups aren't going to be in the "right" spot.

9. Ron Kirn

Ron Kirn Gold Supporting Member

Ive done a few…. took a while to reconfigure the templates and and make a pickguard template that would work and have everything look correct, but…. it's been done and I love 'em….

Ron Kirn

10. kinmike

That's the kind of info I was looking for (also Ron Kirn's post). I wonder if someone like Lollar could custom wind some pickups specifically for a 25.5" Jag and generally mess with the electronics to close the gap? Probably could close it a bit but never get it all the way.

Thanks everyone,

Mike

11. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

I've often wondered the same thing myself. I love the Jag's looks and unique sound, but being 6'5" the shortness of the neck is just a bit too cramped for me. I think a 25.5" Jag with Filtertrons or Dynasonics (more chrome please!) would be killer, although probably not very Jag'y.

12. pocaloc

pocaloc Member

13. imonabuss

imonabuss Supporting Member

Ron,

You loved them (well all of your guitars I've played sound great), but do you think they still sounded like Jaguars? I had a 60's Jag for some time that sounded wonderful, but I could not get used to the short scale at the time. Sold it, but keep asking myself the same question as the OP.

14. Ron Kirn

Ron Kirn Gold Supporting Member

I put Lollars in 'em … couldn't ask for much better….. but I'm prejudiced… I never cared for the short scale either...

r

15. JollyGreenJaguar

JollyGreenJaguar Member

16. 909one

909one Member

The two major differences between the Jaguar and the Jazzmaster are the scale length and the pickups. When I had a Jaguar the only thing I couldn't stand about it was the scale length. I think it makes things sound a little flabbier on the low end and less piano like. I sold my Jag and built a Jazzmaster and the first thing I did was put a Jag pickup in the bridge of the Jazzmaster. I found Jazzmaster pickup covers with no holes and drilled holes to match the Jag pickup. It sounded really ****ing close to a Jaguar. I tried putting a real Jazzmaster pickup in the bridge to see which one I liked better and I actually decided to go with the Jazzmaster pickup because it was a little thicker sounding. All in all, if you want a long scale Jaguar, just get a Jazzmaster and put a Jag pickup in it. Or better yet, just get a MIJ one, those pickups are relatively close to Jag or Strat pickups anyway.