25" scale - a fad that's run it's course?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Dr Doom, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Dr Doom

Dr Doom Member

How popular are 25" scale guitars these days? I noticed that the new PRS models are going to be available in 24.5 scale almost across the board. Is this correct? It seems like all the boutique builders in the 90's/early 2000's were doing a PRS type vibe thing w/highly figured maple tops and exotic colors and 25" scale. Doesn't seem to be so much demand for these today. Is 25" going the way of the 7 string?

2. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

25" has always been a fraction of the market as compared to 24.75" (whichever variety of Gibson scale that gets referred to as 24.75", at least) and 25.5".

it's got it's place in the toolbox.

3. scott

scott Member

I dont think so, PRS just kind of made it popular. Dobro, archtops and some danelectros were and still are 25". benedeto uses that scale quite often. I think its a default scale for him. Ive used it quite a bit and it is a nice scale length. It sounds really nice on some guitars. Im not sure why PRS is using a 24.5" scale. The true gibson scale length is 24.625". 24.5 seems a little short for me. 1/8" doesnt seem like much but I can feel it in the shorter scales.

4. Kappy

Kappy Member

I've naturally gravitated away from that scale length. It just happened over the course of time. I wouldn't be closed to a guitar with that spec, but I'd have to try it first. I'll probably never buy another 25" scale guitar without playing it first.

5. XKnight

XKnight Member

I think it is a good middle ground between your typical Gibson and Fender. I like it!

6. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I think it's here to stay.

7. dantedayjob

dantedayjob Member

All the PRS SEs are still 25" (except the baritone Mushok), the Custom 24, McCarty and SC250 are 25", 2 of the 3 KLs are 25", Miras, Modern Eagles, the Smokeburst 22, Hollowbodies, DGT and all sigs except Santana and the afore mentioned Mushok.

The short scale PRSi are the Santana, 245, Starla, Mira X and one or two others... the 513 and 503 are 25 1/2...

Clearly, PRS is FAR from abandoning the 25" scale

8. Jazzydave

Jazzydave Seeker Silver Supporting Member

I liked the PRS I had with that scale quite a bit and would buy another one if I found one that talked to me.

9. msr13

msr13 Supporting Member

I really like the 25". Seems like all the folks who have all of those PRS (and other brands) do, too. I think the tipping point for have it as one of the standards available has happened.

10. Ed G.

Ed G. Senior Member

Some Carvins are also 25".

11. Link Ramone

Link Ramone Member

Danelectro's been doing it forever. It ain't going away.

12. GtrDr

GtrDr Member

I thought only the Santana had the 24.5" scale. The bulk of PRS & all of Carvin's neck thru's are 25". I have guitars with 24" (Brian May Burns) on up to 25 1/2" scale & it's nice having the variety.

13. kimock

kimock Member

The tipping point for standard was probably crossed for 25" in 1932 with the introduction of the first electric guitar, so you would have to think that it goes back quite a bit further.
    Gibson L5, 1928 24.9
    Martin 24.9
    etc.

Most manufacturers build with some variety of scale length, right?

14. msr13

msr13 Supporting Member

Very good point.

15. scmavl

scmavl Enjoyer Silver Supporting Member

+1.

16. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

it's a perfect compromise IMO ... been around too long to be a fad, but I don't think anyone ever thought it would take over the market ...

17. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

When I find that I need to fight my strat and hope that I don't need to stretch as much and be able to bend 3 steps using just my index finger alone, I look for shorter scale guitar.

Fad or not, it's about feel/comfort/tone, for me anyway.

18. David Collins

David Collins Member

Yeah, I have to say it seems like kind of an odd question. Modern guitars have hovered all over in the 22"-26" scale lengths over at least the last century, with 24.5" to 25.5" being the modern norm. There have been plenty of makers who've used 25" for their scale length over the last hundred years, and the fact that this arbitrary number was never chosen by Gibson or Fender doesn't qualify it as a "fad". Rather than that, I'd say it's about as average a scale length as you can get. No reason to think its a trend that has only appeared recently and is waiting to disappear.

19. c_mac

c_mac Member

You can feel an 1/8 of an inch spread out across an entire fretboard?

:nuts

Not buying that for a second, homey.

20. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

I enjoy 25". It's a perfectly reasonable compromise.