25" scale conversion neck for Strat??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RvChevron, May 23, 2008.

1. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

Probably a long shot.

Has anyone tried those?

Or has anyone tried a strat with shorter 25" scale??

Sounds good and still pretty much like a strat?

I'm seriously considering those. I'll probably go with denser body and neck woods (swamp ash and maple/maple).

:JAM

2. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

The first HM Strats with the different headstock logo and Kahler Spyder trem had a 25" scale. Nice necks. There have been 80s Contemporary Squiers with humbuckers that had shorter scales- don't recall if they were 24.75 or 25". Other rare shorter scale models as well, including some MIJ fenders.

3. Jagsound

Jagsound Member

Warmoth make a 24.75 conversion neck for a Strat or Tele.

4. Long2Play

Long2Play Member

No it will not still sound like a Strat. Scale length effects tone too......

5. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Not much. I've used this soapbox before, but, if you just stick a capo (one fret) on your Strat and detune you are using a shorter scale. Yes it is that simple.
    Tone effect...negligible, esp if you up the string gauge. Just try it!

Playing a C note on the G string and comparing the timbre to one played on the B string also indicates tonal difference in scale, and that is with a huge change, and yes it does sound different...still sounds like a Strat:mob:horse:agree :p

6. Gargloic

Gargloic Member

Since strings must be tighter on a longer scale, I suppose it must change the sound quite a bit.

I guess tuning a regular strat to Eb and putting a capo at first fret would be close to a short scale...

Never tried so I may be off...

Gargloic
    :cool:

7. soapbar-strat

soapbar-strat Member

Yes I have a usacg 25" conversion neck on mine and now it sounds like a PRS... No of course it sounds like a strat, just easier to bend on. I might go to 24.75 sometime though to complete my turning to the dark side.
    Actually it really pisses me off about Fender, they come up with 5000 variations on the strat and really never mess with scale length much(strat special doesn't count). I also once had a short scale strat from japan that was 24" and had a neck like a toothpick. I imagine they'll come out with a good one for cheap right after I get done spending a small fortune on my partscaster again.

8. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

USACG's 25" conversion! That's what I've been considering.

Mind telling me more about yours?

Rw board or maple?

What body wood?

Pickups?

Does it look much different than a stock 25-1/2" neck when mounted to the stock body? I was curious if they move the nut closer to the bridge.

Does it sound just as snappy and crisp?

Are the wound strings defined and percussive?

Thanks!

9. soapbar-strat

soapbar-strat Member

Hi, mine has a rosewood board and its on an alder american standard body. I have BL 280/200/280 pickups so its clear and snappy. I didn't replace a 25 1/2 neck on it, just bought the body on ebay and the neck and parts later so I can't say how it changes or not on this body but it sounds like a strat to me. Maybe you could tell it apart next to another with a 25 1/2 scale but even if so I think it would matter even less when playing with a band.
    The end of the board is squared off like a tele, otherwise it looks the same (usacg headstock of course). One thing I can tell you is that the neck is a little shorter for the conversion and the heel tends to be a PITA on the upper frets sometimes, so if I was to do it again I'd get a body from them too with a contoured heel.

10. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

Thank you for the answers and thoughts!!!

11. Garrett Bagby

Garrett Bagby Member

I have the USACG version, mated with a semi-hollow body from them. It doesn't sound exactly like a usual Strat, but there's no doubt that it has a Strat tone to it. I think the difference is more due to the body in my case, though.

The strings are a bit slinkier, just like a PRS or Carvin.

It doesn't really look any different until you line it up next to a normal Strat. The conversion neck is half an inch shorter.

12. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

Thanks Garrett!

Easier bending and less stretching from one fret to another are the main reasons I want a 25" scale.

I would bet the semi hollow body has a different tone than solid alder or swamp ash.

13. Garrett Bagby

Garrett Bagby Member

Yeah, the body has its own thing going, for sure. To further mix it up, it's alder with an ash top. But I bet if you build an otherwise typical Strat, no one would even notice the shorter scale unless you tell them.