25 year wedding anniversary his n hers Warmoths.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SiloScience, Jul 29, 2008.

1. SiloScience

SiloScience Member

Hello all. My wife Missi and I recently celebrated sharing over 25 years of our lives together. To commemorate this, we built each other a guitar.

They're a pair of Warmoths. Yeah yeah, I know .... "flamed maple chromed out session player stupidness". When we built these, neither one of us were concerned with current trends or what is or isn't cool today. We just wanted to mark the day with something that we both love doing (music) and with something special and nice.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tele (hers): It's hollow swamp ash body and maple top give it a sweet tone. It has both a belly relief and a forearm relief cut into the body. This is probably the most comfortable and lightweight Tele I've ever had the pleasure of playing. The Lace Chromedome neck and Bill Lawrence Vintage Black Label bridge pickups work well. (with reservations). Reversed ~blues style~ control plate, and ~custom~ pickguard. The nearly ~burl~ neck is a standard vintage Tele profile. Planet Waves tuners (very cool tuners). It's a pretty lightweight guitar, less strap it weighs right at 6 pounds on a US Postal scale.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Things we'd like to change....... The Gotoh bridge is so-so. The tone is fine, but the overall quality of the piece is lacking. It looks very MIC. As does the chrome control cavity cover plate. So .. any help on high quality chrome for these things? Better bridge and control plate?? Thicker material, better chrome??

EDIT: August 15th, 2008. I spoke to my supplier about the substandard finish on the Gotoh bridge shortly after this thread was posted, long made short .. he replaced the bridge with another and the new one had MUCH better chrome. It looks just totally better, much better quality etc... (Makes me wonder if Gotoh makes bridges for other companies for "econo" guitars as well as their good stuff?)

This new bridge fits the reputation very well. Excellent choice......

Strat (his): Another hollow swamp ash body with a flamed maple top. Lace Chromedomes and a Lace Chromedome Dually for pickups. "Clapton" wiring scheme (T2 controls only the bridge HB pu, T1 controls Neck and Middle), and control T2 is also a pull-to-switch that taps the bridge coil. Hardtail body, Hipshot bridge. Compound radii fretboard, Planet Waves tuners (machine #6 is purposely cockeyed .. just another odd thing I did), vintage type string trees. Weighs in right at 7 pounds on a US Postal scale. Resonant thing!!! Strings 4,5,6 will vibrate the axe against your chest when unplugged.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Things I'd like to change...... the pickups. These Lace's sound ~good~ but they tend to sound a little bit processed to me. The bridge is very "middy", either single or double coil. I'd like something more aggressive in the neck, much more tonal too. I'm a neck addict and I'm looking for more of that clarity. Trower/Hendrix with a good bit of SRV thrown in, as well as some Skunk Baxter too. (I'm using a JTM45 w/JJs and a 2x12 13 ply Birch closedback cab with Chinese Celestion Greenbacks stuffed in it @ 16ohms). So .. any help on this from you experienced (no pun intended) blues/rock Strat people?

We did all the drilling, mounting, wiring, setup, etc of everything. We completely coated the insides of the control and pickup cavities with metallic paint. That's sho-nuff some weird stuff!! Absolutely do NOT wipe any excess off of the guitar body with a rag .. it's literally ground up metal and it will swirl-scratch the piss out of your axe, We masked off the entire face of the guitars before we coated the cavities, but even a micro-small piece of that crud stuck to a rag will rip your finish a new one if you don't know the remnant is on the rag .. so use a disposable rag to touch up the insides a bit, then get rid of the darned thing!! and use a totally different one to wipe down your axe afterwards. But that's advice for other people, because I would NEVER do such a bonehead thing :jo (ahem). Routing the pickup wires through the drill holes within the two bodies was a certified sumbitch. The entire body is/are a sortof honeycomb setup, and the wire would wander off within the body cavity honeycombs as I tried to fish them through. Ended up feeding a small solid guitar string through from the wrong direction (it was much more stiff and "steerable") and then soldering the end of it to the electrical wire I wanted to fish through, and then pulling it on through the body that way.

They both play very nicely, and will certainly be wonderful milestone markers for our quarter-century wedding anniversary. They are a little bit cliche, I know, but in 5 years .. who knows. That sortof ~thing~ comes and goes with the wind .........

Thanks for looking at our first builds ... er ... assemblies. Of the two, I personally think Missi did a wonderful job at color and finish choices. Her guitar (to me) looks much more classy and pretty than my abomination. She always has had better taste than me! The dark sortof flamed maple in Root Beer Brown goes well with the abbreviated pickguard and chrome appointments she picked out. And I really like the neck on hers too. My guitar is fine, it's just kinda funky and odd ... (just like me!) :hide

Any help/suggestions on the chrome stuff and the neck PU for the Tele and the PU's for the Strat would be GREATLY appreciated.

:BEER Cheers then ... Brian and Missi ....

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  2. straightblues

straightblues Member

Very nice enjoy them. Call Don Mare for pickups for those two. You will be happy you did.

3. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

Wow! Those look beautiful! Happy 25th!!!

What a wonderful thing to enjoy together! Here's to 25 more!

4. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

Awesome! Happy 25th Anniversary... Congratulations.

5. Drowned Rabbit

Drowned Rabbit Black Beauty Beats Burst

Sweetest thing I've ever heard.
    I wish you another happy quarter
    century together. :BEER

6. fretnot

fretnot Gold Supporting Member

If i got that for my girl, she would get his and her Louis Vuitton bags just to piss me off!

Congrats on 25 years!

7. rogue.guineapig

rogue.guineapig Member

so awesome!!

I love the translucent purple and flamed maple...totally cool!
    congrats on the big 2-5!

8. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

For the chrome stuff see Callaham. I think he uses stainless. Whatever it is,it's good stuff!

9. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

Those are two cool guitars.

10. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Happy 25th and may you have many more years together!!

Ya'll know how to live! Nice guitars.

11. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Very nice presentation, happy 25th to you both.

Thanks much for the tip on that Gotoh Tele bridge; I've been wonderin' about that part, does not sound like something I'd like once I got it on there.

Much obliged.

Bubbanov

12. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member

I didn't know the 25th is the "guitar" anniversary....
    I'll have to tell the wife....beats silver any date

13. SiloScience

SiloScience Member

Let's start a petition! :BEER

14. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Just beautiful ss!! Nice guitars too ;)

I cast a vote for a splittable lollar imperial for your strat br.

jon

15. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

I'm in!

16. SiloScience

SiloScience Member

Those look pretty nice. We'll do some more research and may go with them. I've heard Fralins are pretty nice too, but I have zero experience with them myself.

ANYTHING has got to be better than this .... this is totally Honda chrome on a Harley!

I was pretty surprised myself. There's a chance we got one that slipped by QC, so I don't know if this is std Gotoh quality or if we just got a dunsel. Tonally, it's great. The adjustment screws for the saddle height were pretty long and wore holes in her hand, so I had to shorten them so their heads were recessed into the saddles a tiny bit. A couple had to have approx. a 16th of an inch (.0625) buffed off before they'd flush-up. And she's not a ~flat action~ player either, so it's not like we had the saddles super low.

And Thank You to all that have wished us well. Missi deserves a medal for putting up with my crap for 29 years (we met in 79) .. she's my "lotto ticket" .. she is my big blessing, to be sure. Some folks get talent, some get fame, some get large families, others get financial wealth.

Well, I got to share my life with Missi. And I wouldn't trade any of those other things for the blessing I was given....:)

17. MartinC

MartinC Member

Great story!

My wife refers to my Suhr Classic as my wedding dress. I was totally understanding of her need to go beserk with her wedding dress. No limits. She returned the understanding when it came to me ordering my Suhr Classic.

18. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

:BEER

Happy 25th! Mucho Conga Rats!!!

[​IMG]

19. DonM

DonM Member

those "Chrome Dome Covers" will fit over "Mustang" style pickups _ I've done that here - It takes a heat gun to pull them off of the C-Domes - kills the chrome dome - but they probably deserve to DIE-- heheh! ( FWIW- I used to work at LACE- and I was never a Lace User - and that used to piss off the boss something fierce ! - funny watching him turn all red and smoke coming out from his ears! - )

reusing those covers is cool -- but they are pretty heavy brass and they will muffle and mud out a bit - so you need Alnico 5's and a bright wind - all 6ks

20. modeerf

modeerf Member

That's awesome, wish I had a girl that loved the guitar as much as me. The tele is particularly sick, your girl has fine taste as well. Congrats!