250k pots vs 500k pots?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by crazyneddie, Feb 15, 2015.

1. crazyneddie

crazyneddie Member

I recently had the pots in my ESP eclipse upgraded to some CTS 500k pots. I have a nice sweep and control with the new pots, but I find them very bright....too bright. Will 250k pots give me a warmer tone?

2. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

I have done this and it worked well (might be just what you need):

Add a 1 meg resistor wiper-to-ground to convert the 500k pot to a 333k pot.

To do the mod you take a 500k volume pot and add a 1 meg resistor soldered from the outside wiper (the one that is also connected to the pickup selector switch) to ground on the top of the pot case (where the pickups are also typically grounded).

That will effectively increase the resistance from 500k to 333k, or thereabouts depending on the true value of your 500k pot.

3. Barnzy

Barnzy Member

They would do that. Also, you could increase the value of the capacitor in your tone pots to roll off more highs. The simplest fix is to ride your existing tone pot lower to compensate, or reset your amp tone to do the same.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  4. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Slightly , but no difference when wide open.

5. David Collins

David Collins Member

Turn down your tone control. Seriously, anything from 3-10 will deliver the same effect as lowering pot values, is much simpler, and allows flexibility to brighten back up for special occasions.

For more details you can check these videos, but really all you should need to do is roll back your tone until you like it.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLO33g8sM_b8V2Z25rI2VPWFOb00X79wIn

6. crazyneddie

crazyneddie Member

Yeah I know I should just turn the tone knob down a little. Thanks for the sanity check DC!

7. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

i've never heard of an ESP eclipse that didn't already have 500k pots from the factory! (just not as good as cts, and often linear instead of audio taper).

what pickups?

oh, and +1 to @david collins' point, nudge the tone down to like "7" and the tone pot is right back at 250k.

+1 also to @9fingers' trick, i did just that with my tele, where the fralin 10k "high output" pickups were a bit too bright with all 500k pots; creating a 333k volume was exactly the right amount of loading so i could slam up all the knobs and get the sound i wanted.

8. crazyneddie

crazyneddie Member

When I bought it about 7-8 years ago it had EMG's in it and I had them swapped out to a set of SD 1959's.

9. Zexcoil

Zexcoil Gold Supporting Member Vendor

Incorrect.

You must be thinking about cap values, where the generally accepted conclusion is that (within limits at least) you're not going to hear the difference wide open.

You will absolutely hear the difference between a 250 and 500 k pot wide open.

10. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

oh man, don't tell me you'd been running it all this time with the duncan pickups through the EMG pots!? :eek:

if so, you've never heard the duncans the way they're supposed to sound! the EMG pots are 25k, which is at least ten times too low for passive pickups and chokes out most of the volume and clarity.