250k tone pot, No load vs normal tone

omfg51

I'm looking to rewire my telecaster, and I'm curious about the differences between these two pots. Would the no load pot be too bright? Or is the difference negligible between the two?

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
If I'm understanding your question correctly the no load pot is only no load on full (10). After that, the pot "kicks in." So, generally, I see no down side to a no load pot unless the guitar is already too bright so you'd never want to dime the pot.

dazco

It's pretty subtle, but it CAN be the difference between a guitar being a bit too dark and just right. It's a good way to go because you aren't losing anything, just gaining that bit of brightness if you need it. Then as soon as you begin to turn it down from there on it;s the exact same as if it weren't a no load.You can make yours into a no load easily enough.

Zexcoil

Vendor
The thing I find with pot loading is that it's not just high end you lose, it's presence and power as well.

As has been said, you can always kick it in, but the corollary is: if that stuff isn't there in the first place you can never get it.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
Yeah, it's not like you can't turn a no load down to where the normal pot would be.
that's the part i don't like; you can't!

you don't have the option of "250k on 10", as far as i can tell you only get "disconnected" or "250k on 9 or below".

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member

you don't have the option of "250k on 10", as far as i can tell you only get "disconnected" or "250k on 9 or below".
Didn't we already determine that the pot does nothing noticeable near the full on (off?) position anyway?

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
Didn't we already determine that the pot does nothing noticeable near the full on (off?) position anyway?
no, we figured out (and david collins nicely demonstrated) that the cap acts just like a straight piece of wire up there; the pot still matters, take a 500k audio tone down to about "7" and you'll hear a difference from "10", that's the spot where it's about 250k.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
no, we figured out (and david collins nicely demonstrated) that the cap acts just like a straight piece of wire up there; the pot still matters, take a 500k audio tone down to about "7" and you'll hear a difference from "10", that's the spot where it's about 250k.
That's half way, though.
I have a guitar with a noload that even I can hear a slight (slight) brightness increase with, as the pot switches off.
However, there is not much change in the 9-10 region.
I don't know if noloads offer 100% of their rated load as they just switch on, but it must be close.
Certainly so close that one may not hear anything change in live applications. 250k @9 is the same as 250@ 10, anyway.:confused:

dazco

The thing I find with pot loading is that it's not just high end you lose, it's presence and power as well.

As has been said, you can always kick it in, but the corollary is: if that stuff isn't there in the first place you can never get it.
agree 100%. In fact, i don't even have a single guitar with the tone pot even hooked up. I could use a no load, but i feel ANY removal of high end at the source is not a good thing. I'd rather do any EQ'ing at the amp end, preferably AFTER the distortion.

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
The one guitar of mine I put a no load pot on, the effect is at best subtle. If you REALLY want to increase your volume, treble, and presence, install a blower switch that allows you to run your PUPS' output directly out, bypassing all pots and switches.

fjs1962

Gold Supporting Member

+1 here. I've put no load pots in customers' guitars who love them but every time I've tried them in one of my guitars I didn't like that I couldn't just run the tone up quickly on stage without going to the thinner, brighter "no load" position. Maybe if someone came up with a pot with a click at the end of the travel I'd revisit the idea...

joelster

Silver Supporting Member
They do have a click but I see what you mean. A click to resist that position, not to hold it there.

I have a nl tone pot in my tele and it sounds great though I do have high output pups which are a little darker. I'm also that guys who leaves his knobs on 10 all the time.

Just try it. It's a cheap thing to do. If you don't like it you can take it out.

Trending Topics