1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

2550 Jubilee bias settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by guitarjb44, Mar 1, 2012.

1. guitarjb44

guitarjb44 Supporting Member

My recently acquired Marshall Silver Jubilee 50-watt head (2550 model) sounded great when I got it a few weeks ago. Last week, after a few rehearsals, I decided to check the bias. I don't remember what the exact reading was, but it was very high- somewhere around 50mV or maybe higher.

I checked the plate voltage at the HT fuse, and it read 470vdc. Based on this reading, and using a Bias Probe, I tried adjusting the bias to 37.23 mV (70% of 25 watts per tube EL34 tube).

My problem is:
    At the lowest setting, the bias on the amp only takes it down to 41mV. The tubes are not perfectly matched; the other tube reads around 45mV at the lowest bias setting.

But even more important:
    Rehearsal earlier tonight is the first time I played it at volume after lowering the bias reading- and it sounded weak, lifeless, and had too much treble. I don't know how old the tubes are, but as I mentioned: before I messed with the bias setting the amp sounded great.

So...am I doing something wrong? Are my calculations off? Or are the tubes toast and just happened to sound good at a too-high bias setting because they are about to go south entirely?

Next time I am at the rehearsal space, I will just try a different pair of tubes (new ones which are perfectly matched). But I thought I would throw this out there, ask if anyone thinks I am overlooking something.

Thank you in advance for any opinions or advice.

-Joe

2. guitarjb44

3. zenas

zenas Member

Were the tubes redplating at the higher setting? If not I'd just run it that way.

4. guitarjb44

Yeah: I guess if there is no red-plating, it shouldn't be a problem with adjusting the bias by what sounds best.

Thanks for the advice.

Joe

5. Buckeyedog

Buckeyedog Supporting Member

Tubes prob have been running real hard at those settings for a while. They most likely are worn out. So you could just prob keep running them hot, but be prepared for a new set soon I would imagine. So I'd probably get a new set, bias them correctly, then use the old set as a backup.

6. GearHeadFred

GearHeadFred Member

Something is not right. 50 ma @ 470 = 23.5 watts, or 94% @ idle.

Are you measuring the 470 with all tubes in, while the amp is running?
    I've never been inside a Jub.. Is the HT fuse really the plate voltage (no dropping inbetween)?

Lastly, how are you measuring the idle current? You use the term "Mv", so I assume you have 1 ohm resistors on the cathodes? Are they accurate?

7. guitarjb44

I am using a Groove Tubes Bias Probe to measure the idle current. I suppose it is possible the bias probe is faulty and no longer taking accurate readings. I will look into that as well.

I will also re-check the plate voltage at pin three.

-Joe

8. zenas

zenas Member

Shot in the dark here. Is the 50ma for two tubes?

9. wyatt

wyatt Member

Ideally, you don't want to exceed 80% of dissipation in a fixed-bias set-up. Red-plating starts around 160% of dissipation. That leaves a big "danger zone".

Measuring across the HT fuse gives you the B+ voltage. To measure the plate voltage, measure across pins 3 (anode) and 8 (cathode). IIRC, a 2550 plate voltage should be more like 430VDC.

10. guitarjb44

Well then it looks like that's where I blew it- reading at the HT fuse instead of pin 3. I'll check on that and try again. I thought I remember reading somewhere years ago that the HT fuse was reading from the HT fuse was sufficient. Oops...

-Joe

11. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I'd grab a new set of EL34s. My 2553 head (small box 50w - same as yours) usually runs about 450 on the plates. Easier to get a new set of tubes than change the bias resistor, IMO.

12. guitarjb44

Earlier tonight at rehearsal, I tried a new matched pair of EL-34s. Nothing changed: plate voltage measured from pin 3 is 470 to 473 volts, so bias for 70% should be set to 36 or 37mV. But the bias pot won't adjust that low.

As someone mentioned earlier- my Groove Tubes bias probe tool must be faulty. When I check he resistance between the plus of the bias probe, the reading is .5 ohms,. Shouldn't that be exactly 1ohm, or am I checking that wrong?

-Joe