2555 Silver Jubilee vs. JCM Slash

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by derekmitts, Jan 25, 2006.

1. derekmitts

derekmitts Member

i was wondering if anyone here could shed some light on the differences between these 2 amps. i know the slash is supposed to be the "same" or "based on" the silver jubilee but, i know that the jubs have 3 caps i believe and i haven't seen too many jcm slash's but one that had sold a week or two ago on ebay, it looks as if it has 4 or 5 caps? can anyone confirm this or distinguish the difference in these 2?

thanks

2. derekmitts

derekmitts Member

3. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I've heard that the quality of the Slash amps isn't as good as the Jubilee's. I can't list specifics though.

4. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Well, I've owned both and ended up selling the 2 silver jubilee's I had and kept the slash model (still call it a jubilee though...lol, "Slash signature" just sounds too stupid)

The slash always had a much tighter bigger bass/low end than the silvers. The silvers also seemed to be a bit more spitty in the high end as well.

Now, one thing that may account for the difference is that the two amps are a decade apart, and we all know how time can hurt an amp. But from what I've heard in person, the slash sounded "stronger"...

5. derekmitts

derekmitts Member

thanks for the replies.

jubileeman,

just checked your clips out, man the jub sounds great, and great playing too!

i'm really torn between amps. i'm wanting to get rid of my xtc classic and get a marshall. i can't decide between a 2203 or a jubilee/slash. the only problem is, i've never played a jubilee. i've owned a jcm 800 and really liked it.

are your clips mainly of the lead channel? i was wondering what kind of gain sounds can you get out of the rythm channel with the clip engaged. what would you compare it to? i would love to have a 800'ish rhythm sound and then a hot rod'd 800 sound to it which i assume is where the jubilee lead channel comes in. any thoughts?

6. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

first off, thanks for the compliments, I appreciate it.

So you want to get rid of your XTC? and get a marshall? That seems like a pretty drastic switch. If anything you ought to keep the xtc and buy a marshall separately...

If you like a JCM800, you'll love the jubilee. many swear by the jcm800s, but more often than not they find that the jubilee offers up sounds that the jcm800 was lacking in.

But on the other hand, the jubilee's diode clipping distortion, though amazing, is STILL slightly 'fake' sounding to distortion purists, and is something you might consider. THe jcm800s are all preamp tube and powertube distortion.

In all honesty, I'd say get both! but realistically I know thats not an option. I then would simply recommend a Jubilee since its ability to sound steller at whisper volumes as well as cranked plus the channel switching make it a far more versitile amp.

about your rythum clip question: I would say its like the stones. It gives a girthy clean/distorto type sound thats really fun to play with. I used to pull it whenever we would play a stones tune, or any old school rock. VERY usable and cool. its BIG BIG downfall is its not footswitchable, which i think is a big foul on Marshall's part....

I have to go to bed now, but feel free to ask me more questions and I would LOVE to answer more questions about the Jubilees!

7. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

8. derekmitts

derekmitts Member

can anyone tell me how many caps are in a jcm slash?

9. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

10. Ironman

Ironman Member

I've been using Jubilee's and/or Slash's for years. I keep trying other amps but I always end up coming back to these babies for my dirt. Nothing out there sounds like them and I just love the beautiful fat growl they have.

I just sold my Slash to a friend and kept my Jubilee. If you're comparing the 2555 and 2555SL they're the same design. 3 LCR HV caps. I just recapped my Jubilee with F&T's which are very nice. The main difference I'd have to say are the Xformers. The Jub's had the Drakes and the Slash's have the Dagnell's. Sonically my most recent Slash had a touch more punch but my Jubilee has a sweeter high end. I've found very subtle differences from one amp to the other. All of the Jubilee's and Slash's I've owned were amazing sounding with the right tubes and proper maintenance.

Hey, I've gone the Bogner route too (Shiva & 101B). Sold 'em and am back to the Jubilee. I had a couple of JCM800's too in the past, I prefer the Jubilee to them as well. Best of luck on your choice!

11. Ironman

Ironman Member

I forgot to mention that a lot of Jubilees out there have their original HV caps which are overdue for a re-cap. If those electrolytic's are dried up you'll lose some low end and balls. I hate when that happens. Keep that in mind when checking out the Jubilee's.

12. derekmitts

derekmitts Member

thanks for all the replies.

man, i think i've just got and itch for a jub and i don't think i'll be satisfied 'til i get one.

ever since i was a kid and just started playing guitar, slash's tone has always been in my head and it is the pinnacle of marshall/lespaul tone to me in the era that i grew up.

so, there really is no difference in the 2555 and the 2555sl other than transformers? i'll have to look, there was an auction on ebay a couple of weeks ago for a jcm slash and i thought it had more than 3 caps.

it seems almost impossible to find a 2555 these days in good shape.

13. Ironman

Ironman Member

Be patient, I sniffed around for almost 2 years to find another Jub in excellent condition. I lucked out, it still had the plastic on the chrome panels! If you're dying for that tone and can't wait, which I can totally respect, try to score a Slash. You'll probably find one quicker that is in excellent condition. They're just more likely to be in better shape, physically and electronically. To get my Jub in great working condition I had to fix a couple of cold solder joints on my preamp sockets, resolder my input jack to the crkt board, replace the HV filter cans and retube it. You're less likely to have any issues with the Slash due to them being a decade younger. I really wish Marshall would just reissue the Jubilee as a regular production amp one of these days.

14. ukslinger

ukslinger Member

I've got the Slash and love it. I also have an early JCM800 and love it too. The 800 sounds more vintage and bassy. Some have said these are overly bright but I don't hear it. And mine hasn't had the bright clip mod.

The Slash is brighter and has more gain. Sill has balls but not near as loose as my 800. Probably more range too. It also sounds better with decent volume. Neither is the best bedroom amp but they do OK. I would think you'd be pretty close to either with the blue channel on the XTC. A 101b on blue can do a pretty good Marshall. Not the same but close. The effects loop on the Slash is also pretty good.

There's so many verisons of the 800. My early 2204 is awesome but more classic rock. The later ones seem more modern. So if your thinking about flipping the XTC I'd lean more to the Slash. Or at least a later 800.

The Slash is just a great, somewhat raw hardrock amp. I use it as a one channel high gain amp. It cleans up pretty well and I use the guitar volume to get nice cleans if needed.

15. lespaul6

lespaul6 Senior Member

:agree

16. matt3310

matt3310 Member

They are the same. I have both.

17. jp1977

jp1977 Member

I thought that there was a very minor change in the circuit from the silver jubilees to the black jubilees that came the following year and also the slash model later on? I remember hearing this anyway, and they supposedly sounded better with the later spec.

18. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I have read this too, but I am not sure the accuracy. I think the loop on the early ones was not the greatest as I remember reading.

Love my 2553, its one of the later ones.

19. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

20. ukslinger

ukslinger Member

I also think there are different trannis in the Slash. It has the Dragnals (sp?) while the Jubs had Drakes. But I have been told that Marshall had the Dragnals designed to mimic the earlier Drakes to minimize differences. Not sure if thats true or not. Read it somewhere on here a few years ago.