2555X Head shell build

Geeze

Santa & CL hooked me up with a 2555X. Not a big fan of tolex nor of the silver variety. So I started a thread on which woods and which cab style and padauk won out as the body wood with walnut corners in a JCM style design - a big thank you to all who gave input!

Screwing off today and visited a wood distributor who is only open during the week. I was looking for OH HOLY CRAP I GOTTA HAVE THAT! wood. I didn't find any of the usual suspects - khaya, curly maple or [more] padauk. I did find some canary wood [new to me] that called my name looked like it would play well with the padauk and walnut. With a one inch round the yellows, oranges and reds should be spectacular. I have enough to build a matching 1936 as well.

DSC_0555_zpsacvmd5sk.jpg

I'll use the canary as a trim similar to this cab

DSC_0460_zpsv79jmdia.jpg

Off to rough out the pieces.

Russ

Geeze

Cut the padauk to size and finger jointed. Got smart - amazing ideas pop up when supersonic bits of wood are whacking me in the crotch - put a wood shield over the dado slot cut on the sled.

DSC_0556_zpsnfezwbt0.jpg

Ripped the canary [sounds like a punk rock song] to width and rough length.

DSC_0557_zpsuodjfsni.jpg

Now milling the stock down to .760" in a drum sander - boring but necessary.

DSC_0558_zpsukle6qak.jpg

Coffee break then back at it. I want to glue the padauk up tonight.

Russ

Hulakatt

Has done terrible things for a klondike bar
Gold Supporting Member
Please inscribe "Ripped The Canary" somewhere in the head shell!

BTW, are you gonna attempt a veneer faceplate ala Trainwreck?

Geeze

Please inscribe "Ripped The Canary" somewhere in the head shell!

BTW, are you gonna attempt a veneer faceplate ala Trainwreck?

Not sure what a veneer face plate is? I'm probably going to use a chunk of padauk with an inlaid stripe of canary beneath the logo like a JMP. Like this one but with a larger logo and no edge piping.

DSC_0057_zpsztuba6fk.jpg

Russ

Hulakatt

Has done terrible things for a klondike bar
Gold Supporting Member
Not sure what a veneer face plate is?

It's just a piece of wood cut to the same dimensions (HxWxD) as a regular plexiglass face place, usually matching the front of the headshell. Looks like this finished.

3396_p44519.jpg

Geeze

OH HELL NO! I only have a few hairs left on me head and I want to keep them for a bit longer. Thanks for the suggestion! I went with the padauk as it will be a good contrast to the mirror bright steel face plate.

Mocked up with canary and walnut

DSC_0559_zpsuiaz0p7z.jpg

Russ

Last edited:

Geeze

Took a day off yesterday to visit Marshall heaven and play REAL LOUD.

If you ever wonder what to get a woodworker - CLAMPS. Nobody has too many clamps! Canary wood trim glued up

DSC_0560_zpsbmmibril.jpg

The bottom is cut and fitted.

DSC_0561_zpso9mgvzuk.jpg

The 'fake' fingers cut to fit

DSC_0562_zpsrjhpolrk.jpg

Then glued in. Clamps not shown.

DSC_0563_zpsbrhlzjnn.jpg

Russ

Geeze

Movement and error! I am a ready, fire.... aim! Kinda guy as I figure out the design by doing and have learned a lot about fixing along the way. After gluing the fascia on I had a thought... how big is this chassis anyhow? Naturally it was bigger than my design so I had to notch out to get it to fit.

DSC_0570_zpsesgbzq6w.jpg

All the trim and corner blocks were glued up last night.

DSC_0566_zpsbggnzpmv.jpg

Here it is before first sand with 60 grit

DSC_0569_zps3skcrawy.jpg

After sanding

DSC_0571_zpsive0shpx.jpg

The bottom

DSC_0572_zpsbgruhrcu.jpg

The face plate. There are subtle 'flames' above the logo I hope will reveal during the slurry sand

DSC_0568_zpswihwcg0j.jpg

Epoxy gaps and move on to the corner rounds!

Russ

Geeze

Finished rounding the edges. Epoxy the rest of the gaps and begin the finish sand.

DSC_0578_zpsqofai1fw.jpg

DSC_0579_zpsv9nth976.jpg

Russ

rstites

Looks great. I only own boring old tolexed amps, but always love the nice solid wood ones.

Geeze

Couldn't stand it - finish sanded and started the slurry sand. Got the ends done and then noticed a gap on top that required CA. So here are some 'previews'. The padauk colored the canary more toward the red side.

DSC_0581_zpsqv0jse0g.jpg

DSC_0580_zpszijxs0lw.jpg

Patience was never my strong suit.

Russ

Geeze

First slurry coat done

DSC_0583_zpsfg7u6lqr.jpg

Now to dry while I work on the face plate
DSC_0584_zpss8tt8e2x.jpg

Rather than put the fugly plastic vent on top I'm leaning toward drilling in holes and building some sort of 'grill' inserts for the holes like I did on this amp. There will be air intake slots cut on the backside of the face plate to pull cool air from a 'lower' area and get some circulation going. I suspect I'll put in an aluminum plate on underside where the handle will be for support.

DSC_0816_zps14461595.jpg

Russ

Trending Topics

Top Bottom