2K to Spend....What would you add?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by toddincharlotte, Mar 2, 2015.

1. toddincharlotte

toddincharlotte Member

So work bonuses are coming in a couple of weeks and I'm going to have a couple grand to spend on gear. I'm really trying to think in terms of what will improve my tone or my overall gig package. My main gig is leading worship [lead guitar/lead vocal] but I also do some classic rock stuff as well.

Right now my pedal board is:
    Keeley Compressor
    Peterson Turbo
    JHS Morning Glory [First stage]
    Timmy [Stage 2]
    TC Nova Delay
    Full Drive 3 Black [thinking of trading]

Amps:
    H+K Tubemeister [bedroom practice]
    1967 Fender Bassman AA864 [main gigging amp]
    Marshall DSL 50 [newly acquired]
    Crate Vintage Club 30

Guitars:
    1998 Les Paul Standard
    Classic Vibe Tele
    Epiphone Trad Pro with S-D Slash Alnico iis
    Gretsch Electromatic with Filtertrons
    Taylor 210e

I'm either looking to add a couple of pedals [volume maybe, modulation?] or a decent amp or a guitar. I'm actually pretty happy with my sound right now but have this bonus coming and always make a point to add at this time of year.

Considering a McCarty, recently played a really, really nice one but it got bought out from under me. Maybe do something with 57/08 or similar? Not really interested in single coils, i dig the classic vibe for that, could potentially upgrade those electronics i guess?

Also, liking what I am hearing from the new Taylor 600 series but the 210e sounds so good through the FOH that I always put something like that to the bottom of the list.

Would consider another head. I run Bad Cat Celestion cabinets. One here, one at the church in isolation [it's been very bad]. The Fender "does it" for me but I haven't really played any $1000+ amps so maybe that's the place to go?

Only considering used market at this point [except the taylor]. Would appreciate some suggestions. Hate to think of this as just feeding my GAS but hey, is what it is.

2. bayAreaDude

bayAreaDude Member

3. MONSTER ZERO

MONSTER ZERO Member

Certainly wouldnt buy one of these..

[​IMG]

4. toddincharlotte

toddincharlotte Member

Already tithing on it.

5. toddincharlotte

toddincharlotte Member

Not helping!

6. Hipfan49

Hipfan49 Member

If your thinking of a modulation pedal, I'd say go with the Moog 12 stage phaser. Best one out there, imho. P&W needs less delay, and more phase!

7. Sigmund Floyd

Sigmund Floyd Supporting Member

You have a nice Les Paul so you might be set there. You could upgrade the other guitars in a big way, maybe an awesome tele... and still have enough for (if you go used on both) an awesome head of some kind. A Vox, Orange, or any number of lower wattage hand wired heads. You'd get a 2 for 1 deal, add a great guitar and a killer amp. Pedals come and go, I don't worry about those too much. A great guitar through a great amp- that's where it's at.

8. kasperjensen

kasperjensen Member

I would suggest saving the money ;)

Looks like you are doing well on the gear front.

9. toddincharlotte

toddincharlotte Member

This was kind of where I was headed. I love the Les Paul. The bridge is actually a little hot. I like all the other guitars too but the Les Paul is the only "pro" guitar I own. The Classic Vibe borders on pro feel and sound as does the Gretsch but the Epi is kind of a toy. Unfortunately, the one I'm really pining after is a McCarty because of that "one that got away". That won't really help me to add more dimension since the McCarty is Les Paul [really McCarty] inspired.

I've had a Vox and though it had outstanding cleans I just couldn't get it to work with ODs. All my drives sounded less than stellar through the AC15. I have been listening to the Orange stuff and while there is some really cool sounding things out there [TH30H] it starts sounding a little marshally so I think if it was going to be an amp it would be more something in the Bad Cat, Dr. Z, 65 category.

10. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I would buy a Goodsell amp.
    I notice you don't have a 12 string. Or a Strymon Timeline.
    Do you use IEM- if so, do you already have nice earbuds?
    Wireless unit(s)?

Your arsenal could use a Strat or a Semi-hollow or an offset like a JazzMaster.

I'm surprised you don't have a nice reverb. Do you have a solid pedalboard with a good power supply?

11. great-case.com

great-case.com a.k.a. "Mitch"

It's a buyers market, tons of used gear piled up everywhere. Some good ideas are floating in ^ above me but my advice is to buy real estate in Greece, or for $2K you could buy Detroit.

12. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

he's playing in a church hall! that's the greatest reverb of them all!

13. mikebat

mikebat Member

Gigrig G2 and a Mexican Strat.

14. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

So many of us church guitarists are not playing in an old cathedral. And most of the material we play feature very specific reverb voices.

15. Moby Dick

Moby Dick Member

I would want a nice used strat and a vox ac30.

16. toddincharlotte

toddincharlotte Member

HA!.....yeah, our "church hall" looks more like a movie theater :). We're actually looking for ways to kill the reverberant field with some acoustic treatment.

Hey guys, sorry about the approach to this, maybe a better way to say this would have been "Can you all look at my gear and tell me what I'm lacking?" I appreciate the feedback for sure. I have always been a big fan of TGP and have learned A LOT about guitar tone from lurking/posting here. Without getting to religious, I really believe the band's overall sound it's a huge piece in the overall success or failure of our worship. Tone matters, regardless of what music or venue you're playing.

17. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

I dunno man, you seem pretty stacked with gear. You don't have much modulation/time based effects. I mean, how are you playing P&W without at least 1 Strymon pedal. They should really revoke your membership.

A nice Strat would be a good addition. You say you aren't crazy for Singles, but don't judge until you play a nice strat with good electronics.

18. Probos

Probos Gold Supporting Member

You seem to have enough gear. Save the $$$.

19. toddincharlotte

toddincharlotte Member

So yeah man....I definitely lack a good reverb and power supply, using an iSpot right now and I think it under powers the TC Nova and the Fulltone. I had a Timeline and just didn't bond with it. Every time I sat down to learn the features I always ended up just playing......funny thing is I never really considered myself ADHD or whatever, just love to play and if there is a guitar in the room and an instruction manual, the guitar will inevitably get picked up and played before I've scratched the surface on the other.

We don't use IEMs yet but may down the line. Single coil stuff just doesn't do it for me, maybe down the line I'll consider it but there are a few things in front of a pro single coil guitar. I have been looking at a hollow body though.

This one in particular is within driving distance:

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/msg/4879904442.html

20. Neopolitian

Neopolitian Member

Why would you buy anything unless you really wanted it?

You have more money than GAS. Just save the $$, that's wjwd.