2mm picks?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by josh_michael, Mar 5, 2015.

1. josh_michael

josh_michael Member

I've been using heavier picks lately .96-1.14. I'm really liking them. I noticed that some companies like Dunlop Gator grips have a 2mm pick. Any body out there using a thick pick like that? If so, think there's any advantage? I sort of just like the way a heavier pick feels in my hand and the greater control over dynamics.
    -Josh

2. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

3. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

I've been using 3.5mm and occasionally 5mm Wegens for about a year now. Tried em and was immediately hooked; nothing else feels as good since.

http://www.wegenpicks.com/

/rick

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  4. SirGilmour

SirGilmour Supporting Member

VPicks or Gravity Picks.

5. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I have a shredder friend and he uses a clear super thick diamond shaped pick. No clue on the brand but it's easily 5+ mils and he says it helps pick quickly. It feels like a rock in my hands and I sound like crap with it, but he loves the stability. It doesn't bend an iota no matter how hard you attack and that's why he uses it.

6. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

I play V-picks [I believe they are 2.5mm?] and I LOVE them - never going back to a regular pick.

7. scolfax

scolfax Member

I used 2mm Gator Grips for a while. Excellent.

8. OverdriveLover

OverdriveLover Supporting Member

I use Big Stubby 3mm picks. Have for over maybe 10 years or more

9. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

I've been using 3mm Gravity Picks (Big Mini Strikers) and just switched to 4mm for my electrics. I use 2mm Strikers for my acoustic. I like the way they feel in my hand and the way the thicker picks glide across the strings. I feel like they have a larger dynamic range, and at least with the Gravity picks, they seem to stay clearer when I pick lighter.

I have found that as I move to thicker picks, I also move up to larger sizes. I used to use .75mm picks that I would shape into a rounded triangle shape, but a Jazz III size. When I first switched to Gravity picks, I got the mini size and it worked on the thinner picks up to around 1.5mm. As I started liking the 3mm more and more, it felt kind of small. In the 2-3mm picks I needed to move up to the Gravity Big Mini. I tried a 4mm Big Mini, but it felt small for how thick it was, so I got a 4mm Standard in both Striker shape and Classic. For me, they are the perfect size for that thickness of picks.

10. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

2mm Stubby has the best feel and tone for me. I can't stand thin picks anymore, and thicker picks of 3mm and above just doesn't cut it for me.
    Purchased so many V-Picks but that didn't work out so back to them tiny stubs of awesome.

11. huw

huw Member

That's my choice as well.

A very precise feel, quick response, and lots of fundamental in the tone. I'll sometimes go back to a thinner pick for more 'strummy' parts, or on acoustic (the heavier strings don't seem to work well with the bigger pick for me), but for jazz, and more controlled picking, I haven't found anything better.

12. Hack Prophet

Hack Prophet vile mighty wretched Silver Supporting Member

3 mil small stubby was my main pick for a long time when I was playing only leads. You can cross pick really really fast and the tone is excellent with a light touch. then I started a band as the only guitarist, playing both rhythm and lead and the stubby didnt cut it anymore. Pick flexibility is essential for good rhythm tone when strumming chords that use 4+ strings and all I hear when trying to comp or play carter style with the 3mm is the clicking of plastic on steel. Settled on .94 and its a great compromise for me

13. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

There are the Adamas and Telefunken 2.0 Graphite picks. Very distinctive. Jerry Garcia was a famous user.
    You can get thin pick tone from a fat pick, but not vice versa.

14. Humancapo

Humancapo Member

Dunlop Jazztones 208 are sweet, don't let the name fool ya, they work for a wide variety of styles. Great tone.

15. Wolfboy1

Wolfboy1 Grandpa but...Not Yet Old! Silver Supporting Member

Yep, found VPicks and use the 2.75mm 3 corner ones. Never going back. Better harmonics, more dynamics, easier to play. The thicker picks (vPicks and Gravity picks) just work better on all levels, except cost, for me.

16. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

I'm a big stubby user too. I started on the 3mm but recently got a pack of the 2mm and I like them better. I really like the concave finger grip design. plus they have a sharp-ish tip with rounded edges. Works perfect for my playing. used to use the 1.4 mm yellow Duplops.. Ultex?? Those were good too but the Stubby is better

17. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

I've been using the 2.0 gators for at least 15 years now. I love them and a bonus is that nobody ever wants to borrow one so they don't accidentally disappear.

18. Benny

Benny Gold Supporting Member

I use the Dunlop Jazztone 207's and 208's - they work nicely for me on all my guitars (archtops, 335's, solid bodies, dobros) in a range of styles.

19. technomancer

technomancer Member

Gravity Picks 2mm, very precise and stable. I also use 1.5mm and 3mm from time to time.

20. JCJones

JCJones Member

My favorite Jazz pick is a JB Shell Sonic 2mm celluloid pick. Overpriced, but I really find it comfortable and it gives the sound I want for Jazz.