2nd amp or more pedals?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by murraythek, Feb 5, 2015.

1. murraythek

murraythek Member

Currently own a Princeton Reverb and an Excelsior. I rarely use the Excelsior since the novelty wore off and will be selling it tomorrow. Trying to decide if I should replace it with a 2nd amp, an EL34 based amp like a Vox AC15, or add more pedals to my arsenal. I'm having some major gas for a Blue Sky or POG2. Anyone else been in the same boat? Is 2 amps more important than adding more effects? I have my dirt/fuzz/delay bases covered, but no modulation/octave/reverb.

2. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

3. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Blue sky would be much nicer in stereo, just throwing that out there.

4. 8len8

8len8 Member

Do you play out? A 2nd amp is good for a backup.

5. elicxirmixer

elicxirmixer Member

This.
    Even if you don't play out, it's good to have a backup. Or run in stereo, etc.

6. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    If you play at home, 2 amps is not going to give you the fun of messing with a new time-based foot toy, since you have a great amp now and the saturation pedals to make you happy.
    This being said, getting a second amp is a really good thing to do once you are happy with your complete one amp setup.
    A Vox AC15 with EL84's (not EL-34's) will be a great second amp to go with the Princeton.

Once you have the time-based effects you are satisfied with, the second amp will really make you smile, as then you will have your effects capable of running in stereo.

7. murraythek

murraythek Member

I will add that yes I am a home based player.

8. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

More than one amp is a good choice. Let's just say you have a reason to drop you amp off at the tech and then get a call for a gig.
    Let's say you have 2 gigs scheduled on the same day with sound checks spaced out over town.

9. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

I find amps much more satisfying than pedals, but others like a basic amp platform with interesting pedals. If you exclusively play low volume, pedals may be more useful.

Nice to have a backup.

10. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

Right now, in the living room ( rectangular shaped room, hardwood floor) I have a Marshall Class 5 head/cab in one end, and a Vox AC4C1-Pl at the other end of the room.

I set up pedals in the middle of the room, and run things in stereo.
    It is great fun.

Get a differently voiced second amp, and try it - you will have a good time :)

11. jerryfan6

jerryfan6 Silver Supporting Member

I am fine owning more than one amp, but I've struggled to make a two amp setup work. i find myself having to fiddle with my pedalboard a lot, to get the pedals to work with both amps.

So, for me, I'm going one amp and a handful of "character" pedals, to get the different sounds I want.

Another bonus is that pedals are easy to sell and ship, when I get tired of them.

12. murraythek

murraythek Member

Very good points. Amps can be difficult to unload.

13. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

OP..
    add those two pedals to the mix.
    Pog2 is very cool.

14. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

I'd think the excelsior and PR would be a perfect pairing for dual amp goodness. What is it you don't like about excelsior? Maybe $$$ would be better spent on a speaker and preamp tube upgrade for it.

15. guitarnut_1

guitarnut_1 Member

Second amp. Pedals and **** like that will NEVER sound like a completely different platform (e.g. an EL34 based amp)
    I've been confronted with the same question, and decided if I don't have the cash to buy the amp now, I would wait until I have it. Just my 2ct

A good amp, possibly a good Tubescreamer and a good guitar is all I normally need. Nothing more.

16. jerryfan6

jerryfan6 Silver Supporting Member

I beg to differ. Watch a video with Andy from Pro Guitar Shop demoing a Wampler Tweed 57 through a Fender Deluxe Reverb. I bet you'd say it sounds pretty much like a Tweed amp.

17. guitarnut_1

guitarnut_1 Member

sure, you can always tweak things.... but I am kind of a purist

I generally don't like many pedals at all. On a Fender amp I ALWAYS use a tube screamer which can sound nearly clean. Either as a booster or as an overdrive.

On Marshalls I'd use a delay or hall pedal. Possibly a TS-9 as well, depending on the marshall (if non Mastervolume)

And if I play clean jazzy stuff I really like a Chorus (possibly a Boss). This is my pedal "arsenal" :)

18. David Garner

David Garner Member

I've found that having a couple of great amps is way better than having one great amp and a ton of pedals. That's my $0.02, but I'd get another amp.

19. JackStraw12

JackStraw12 Supporting Member

Two amps for sure. Variety is the spice of life!

20. JeffHaddad

JeffHaddad Supporting Member

You've got the reverb and modulation (the amp's tremolo) covered with the Princeton Reverb. I say another amp - but I'm an amp junkie.