2nd monitor source

speedemon

Hi,

building up my project (bedroom) studio next month, am pondering a few choices for a 2nd monitoring speaker;

1. better nearfields (eg more expensive) than I currently own
2. cheaper nearfields
3. Avantone mixcubes
4. computer/bookshelf speakers
5. Larger nearfields (7 or 8")
6. no 2nd monitoring speaker

acoustic treatment/room arrangement is in the works.

Any thoughts?

:beer

Crowder

Dang Twangler
Silver Supporting Member
Maybe something that would quickly let you check your mixes in mono?

oldhousescott

Gold Supporting Member
A nice set of headphones would be the best bet. They won't help with levels of various instruments/voices, but they would show any eq weirdness, eg. excess/insufficient low end, and any spurious noises. Just get to know the monitors you have by comparing your mixes to other commercial releases. My .02 anyway...

Julia343

If you can't find a pair of used NS-10s, the Avantone Mixcubes sound like absolute crap. If you have problems with bass not being heard on modern sound systems this is the speaker for you. You need something to address that issue because people listen to music through crap. You should check your mix through something like this

For your regular mix you should have something like a pair of Yamaha HS-8s. Something with some bottom and good response across the entire range, but you don't want a front ported monitor. IMO they give an artificial bass response.

Another option is the IK Media ARC2 system. It's a plugin you put on your main out. Once you've measured your listening area as directed, you have at your fingertips the NS-10, and several other craptastic speaker systems like the iDock1 and iDock2, a typical boombox, a crappy 90s speaker, a small television, and laptop computer speakers.

They are right. Get your mix sounding good on your main monitors, then select the NS-10s (the 80s white), and if you can get it sounding good on those, it'll sound good on anything.

Oh, don't forget to disable the plugin when you bounce the audio to your .wav file.

Also I highly recommend not composing any music in the key of D that uses a D1 bass note. It simply will not be heard unless you distort the bass and smash the living crap out of the bass line with a compressor - I'm talking 20:1. Yes, I used Rbass.

speedemon

I currently have Yamaha HS5s , and Sony 7506 phones. No amp for NS-10s at the moment.

So Avantone mix cubes, or bigger speaker?

The plugin sounds cool too!

Thanks for your replies!

speedemon

A nice set of headphones would be the best bet. They won't help with levels of various instruments/voices, but they would show any eq weirdness, eg. excess/insufficient low end, and any spurious noises. Just get to know the monitors you have by comparing your mixes to other commercial releases. My .02 anyway...

Yes, I picked the HS5s because they seemed to be the most revealing/flattest in the price range.

Going up, my picks would be Event 20/30, or Eve Audio SC205,
going down, some used Event 20/20 or Blue Sky 6.5

Julia343

The HS-5s are pretty close to the NS-10s. I had a pair. They have no bass to speak of. You should probably get something like a HS-8s and a Presonus Monitor Station. You should have something that reveals the bottom end. Subwoofers are very tricky to set up properly.

imaxeman69

Bed room studio? You're monitors are fine. Get the room as neutral as you can, and learn your monitors. That's why all studios have NS10s. They're brutally honest. Get the monitors away from the wall if you can. Google monitor placement.

You need to know how your mixes translate on everything. Listen to commercial releases. Really, really listen. Then compare to your mixes. Figure what's lacking. Listen to your mixes on as many sources as you can. Car, home, ear buds, whatever.

I've been mixing on a inexpensive set of Fostex monitors for the past 10 years. I have no problem getting my mixes to translate.

Rex Anderson

In a bedroom studio, the last thing I would want would be 2 sets of monitors. Get one good pair of the best speakers you can afford, do good acoustic treatment and learn how you monitors translate.

speedemon

Wow, I was hoping for some unanimity! lol ok not really.

Certainly, I am at the learning stage. My budget is what I want it to be, except silly. Acoustic treatment and placement is part of my plan, but of course, I am still figuring out how to get my speakers a few feet from a wall, or compensate for being unable to do so. In the equivalent of an apt. I have some limitations on the treatment, ceiling is prob out, unless somebody has a good idea I can try.

It appears there are several votes for 4., yes?

Rex Anderson

My vote would be for 1./5./6. You need one good pair of monitors that have an 8" woofer so you have good bass without the need for a subwoofer. I used to get by with Mackie HR-824's in a few of our studios where budget was not enough for more expensive monitors. And, if it helps my vote any, I was a professional recording engineer for over 30 years. Some of the monitor systems I used cost more than a car.

straticus

I've said before and I'll say it again. Focal Spirit Professional headphones!

I've had mine for a few months now and could not be happier. I've spent a lot of money on room treatment and monitors but the $350.00 I spent on the Focals in the best cash I've spent on my studio in a long time.

speedemon

That's a big endorsement for the Mackie! They are certainly cheap enough. I will look at some 8". My friend had a pair of JBLs he wants to sell, I think they are 8". There are a lot of large Event monitors for sale on the local classifieds, is that why nobody brings them up here?

Rex Anderson

The new Mackie HR824's don't sound as good as the old ones IMO.

What is your budget? When we know that, we can look at options in your price range.

loudboy

The new Mackie HR824's don't sound as good as the old ones IMO.

What is your budget? When we know that, we can look at options in your price range.

The old ones weren't anything to write home about, and I liked the Events even less.

I'd take the JBLs over either of them.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom