• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

2nd speaker for TopHat Club Royale 2x12 - suggestions?

MADasHELL

In my King Royale I replaced the G12H30 Anniversary speakers with a Scumback S75-PVC-65 and H75-30. There wasn’t anything wrong with the stock setup, but after experimenting I found that I prefer the Scumbacks

My Super Deluxe (1x12”) came stock with Creamback that I never bonded with. I replaced it with one of the G12H30s from the KR and it sounds lovely.

2L man

There are aleady five different 12" Jensen neodym loudspeakers which can back up other loudspeakers because they are great alone. If Tormado Stealth 100 is diffetent to Classic 100 other tham magnet cover then there are six different 12° Jensen Neos?

I have not heard N12K but it seems to have more mid range and less lows that others. NEO 12/100 is still manufactured although it does not exixt in Jensen pages. This is its crunchy sound sample and I like it more than Tornado 100 because it is bit brighter. I like neodym light weight as well.

Teleplayer

Moder8er
Staff member
Not to derail, but here is a pic of the beautiful MIE G12H30s that our brother @ericb sold me a few years ago - in my 2016 CR (not a great picture):

This is what the amp really looks like from the front:

Regarding @Scumback Speakers, I always need to throw Jim some love. Back in 2016, I also had Brian build me this amp. It's an Embassy that is based on the original run of about ten Embassy amps he made in 1997. Brian conjured up my amp as if he had been making twenty years of improvements and tweaks to the original Embassy. It is THE single best sounding amp I have heard (not just played through, but heard) in my 45 years of playing. A big component of that is the beautifully mismatched Scumback J75 and SC75 speakers that Jim recommended for this amp. I remember spending an hour on the phone with Jim sorting out the sound/tone I was after. Incredible sounding rig.

Again - sorry to go a bit off-topic here.

Teleplayer

Moder8er
Staff member
1606014470830.jpeg

1606014528728.jpeg

My former 2006 CR. Brian had just switched to an EZ81 recto, Heyboer transformers, and I decided on a Celestion Heritage G12H and Blue.

gslopez30

Snag some great NOS tubes and kick it up a notch.

Enjoy your new rig!
Hey Fred!

It was from the phone call we had earlier this year that helped me pull the trigger on the Club Royale! It sounded great immediately, can’t imagine how much better it will get as the speakers soften up. I know Celestions in MY experience take a loooong time to break in naturally. Def will go down the NOS tube rabbit hole next.

Teleplayer

Moder8er
Staff member
Hey Fred!

It was from the phone call we had earlier this year that helped me pull the trigger on the Club Royale! It sounded great immediately, can’t imagine how much better it will get as the speakers soften up. I know Celestions in MY experience take a loooong time to break in naturally. Def will go down the NOS tube rabbit hole next.
Great looking rig; great choice of speakers. Beautiful amp!!

We can DM and I’ll give you some thoughts on tubes if you are interested and/or want info. Definitely a great amp as is; great NOS tubes are an added sweetener.

56Tweed

Ge Fuzz-o-holic
Gold Supporting Member
I'm running the G12H30 anniversary model in my early 2000s Club Royale. Initially I wasn't sure about it and looked to replace it with a scumback m75 (greenback) but had a hell of a time trying to get the speaker out and gave up. Since then its really grown on me and gives me another flavor to try. I have a bunch of cabs with greenbacks and one with a weber alnico blue dog I have also played it through, but the G12H30 works great and will stay with that amp now.

sonicmessiah

lottsa good advice here. i'll add that the new celestion ruby alnico could work well if the cost is not too off-putting
seems like a mellow-er G12h30 to me.

Trending Topics