2nd Stage Drive

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ev5501, Apr 24, 2015.

1. ev5501

ev5501 Member

Hey All!

Need some seasoned advice....I'm looking for a second stage overdrive pedal.
    The First drive pedal is a JHS modded Soul Food. My amps are a Modded Blues JR and a Jackson Amps Newcastle 30.

Looking at the (Emerson Custom) Paramount, (Paul C) Timmy or (Walrus Audio) Voyager.
    Any thoughts? Any more pedals you could recommend?
    I'd like more of a transparent drive with some touch response.

THANK YOU!!!!

2. TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal Member

If your into jhs go for the double barrel. I would go for a KoT though

3. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Well if you need just light OD and boost can't rec' kingsley page enough.

[​IMG]

4. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

If "second stage" means more gain, don’t get the Timmy. Try a Rockbox Boiling Point in Boost mode (left toggle in middle position). ]“Transparent” (sounds like your amp cranked, use Bass Boost for lower gain settings), CRAZY dynamic. -E

5. Spencer1987

Spencer1987 Member

I use a Timmy with a Caroline Haymaker as my second stage. Love the combo. The haymaker has a toggle which can switch between a transparent drive, a boost, and a light fuzz sound.

6. andrew_cojo

andrew_cojo Member

i prefer the walrus audio mayflower. it's not as transparent as a timmy or a jhs morning glory but it still sounds wonderful

7. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

The Haymaker would be my second choice (“transparent” like the Boiling Point), but BP is a lot more dynamic and break up is more amp-like. If you’ve got a Haymaker I wouldn’t replace it (sonically, both are awesome and very close), but given OPs desire for touch sensitivity, BP is the clear winner between the two. -E

8. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

When you say 2nd stage do you mean something that goes on up to mid-gain and almost distortion?

9. ev5501

ev5501 Member

Spencer1987: I actually really really like the Haymaker after listening to some sound samples! May look into it down the road.

PurpleJesus: 2nd stage as in a heavy light or medium overdrive. Something I can stack during a Chorus while playing Rhythm to get a slightly grittier tone.

I also found a cool OD made by Mercy Seat Effects called the "Tree of Life"....

This is hard........Too many good pedals, too small of a paycheck.

10. jordane93

jordane93 Member

From your list I'd go with the Timmy. Place it after you Soul Food so you an take advantage of the Timmy's EQ.

11. meowmers

meowmers Member

The Timmy would give you "more" of the Soul Food in terms of gain and the powerful eq sculpting on board

12. bluflames

bluflames Member

If you want something to stack with the Soul food, maybe try a barber gain changer, just because it has some EQ options... I've had a hard time stacking other pedals with my MO, so I usually set it for the gain I would need for a solo and then play with my volume knob on the geetar.

13. elron hoover

elron hoover Member

I've never used a Soul Food, but the Timmy stacks well with my AF I Klone. I also stack a Wampler Ecstacy (now named Euphoria) with the AF I, which I like even better. It's also very transparent and has more gain on tap.

14. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

I would highly recommend the Paul C "Timmy" for what you want and have.

15. Trevorsnackson

Trevorsnackson Member

Thats what I use my timmy for, Gain around 2 oclock