2x or 4x 12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Chance Terrill, Aug 20, 2019.

1. woof*

woof* Member

If you can’t have a 4x12... the next best thing is a 4x10.
    2x12 is at the bottom of the list.

2. Kostas

Kostas Member

It depends on a cabinet's dimensions, the small cabs I've tried sound boxy. These two cabs have the same dimensions, the Mesa sounds spacious but clear and way bigger than the THD. I had the cab for 10 years, it has great build quality and it's clever designed. For example, the metal inserts make it easier to change speakers so the wood won't ruined. It became my test cab, I tried several combinations and single speakers. Whenever it was working as a 2x12 it was uninspiring, not boxy but not huge sounding. The Mesa with the stock speaker sounds way bigger that's why I kept it and sold the THD. It has become my #2 cab, I still prefer my 4x12 but it doesn't move, it's strictly for home use. If I was gigging I would probably have no cab unless I had roadies.

[​IMG]

It also depends to a speakers sensitivity, 3db can make a difference no matter the number of speakers. What type of home are we talking, an apartment and a house with no neighbors close offer different options. If you want to turn up a tube amp in an apartment and have power amp distortion you need an attunator, if you have no neighbors close you can do whatever you want.

3. LaXu

LaXu Member

For me it's the opposite. I prefer my 4x10 to my 1x12 and feel the 4x10 sounds better when at the same volume as measured by a decibel meter. The difference in volume between 2x12 and 4x12 is 3 dB which is barely noticeable and amounts to something like being able to turn your amp up 0.5 to 1 notch to reach the same volume level when using the 2x12.

With a good master volume to me the difference isn't where on the knob's travel you reach that volume but what the actual volume is. My amps tend to start sounding great when above 90 dB @ 1m. Even if I use power scaling to knock down the volume so I can turn them up more the same thing applies.

Buy a decibel meter folks, it will give you a lot of insight into where your amps start sounding good, gives you a reference if neighbours complain about noise and allow you to try different amps at the same volume.

4. Chance Terrill

Chance Terrill Member

Wooster ohio

5. Buck Woodson

Buck Woodson Supporting Member

1x12 is good enough if an EVM12L works for you.

Though one 2x12 can't compare with a 4x12, two 2x12s can. Beware that many 2x12s are too heavy. I prefer Marshall 1936 or Orange Jim Root 2x12 cabs. They will shave off 10 lbs. @ cab compared to other Orange, Mesa or Bogner 2x12s.

6. bxlxaxkxe

bxlxaxkxe Member

Yes sorta. I can play as loud as I want. But I don’t WANT to play at ear splittingly painful levels, which is my 2204 turned up to 2.5 into a 2x12 with v30s. That same volume on the amp into a 1x12 with a v30 is more enjoyable to my ears. That couple of dB difference matters I guess is what I’m saying. And of course the amp matters. And your living situation as you said. Like everything with this hobby, it’s all personal preference.

7. Chance Terrill

Chance Terrill Member

I'm way too much of an ass to play at 2. 5. I don't have a 100 watt head either. But I run the master on my 40 watt Shirley at 6 most the time n sit on the ground so the speakers aimed right at me lol. I might just be deaf now

8. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

9. Chance Terrill

Chance Terrill Member

So what is my best bet for a 4x12 with greenies price wise?

10. b80

b80 Member

I'm currently using a Marshall 4x10. It's wonderful. Lightweight, super easy to move around. Fits in my car, no hassle.

However, I am currently bit by the 4x12 bug. Checking out the Marshall 1960A and Orange PPC412 cabs, specifically.

I don't think I'd go 2x12 over my 4x10. Unless I could raise it off of the ground about 12 inches. But them I'm carrying extra gear to lift my stand. Might as well just go 4x12!

Anyway, 4 speakers better.

11. Digidog

Digidog Member

Strictly according to physics, you get the best spreading of the sound with only one speaker. As soon as you add speakers, you get nodes and cancellations in the sound spread. There are also optimal sizes of the resonance area for each frequency, so a bigger speaker does not necessarily sound better than a small.

This is why I almost always play with a 1x12 combo, and I have half a mind on getting a 2x10 combo or cab for using in settings where nodes and cancellations can be used to the benefit - but haven't given it any serious thought yet.

12. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Member

The way I look at it is if a 4x12 works in a situation better than a 2x12 then I bring a 4x12. Last time I brought a 4x12 was an outdoor gig 2 years ago. If it's just for home playing go big.

13. Chance Terrill

Chance Terrill Member

I'll have to move it at least once a week

14. Calebz

Calebz Member

Sound for sound, a 4x12 is generally 'better'

For mobility and sound, the best compromise I've found is a vertical slant 2x12

15. rickcard71

rickcard71 Member

Depends on how you are using it.

16. Ryno1331

Ryno1331 Supporting Member

Pick what you like. As an owner of both a 4x12 marshall cab and a Dirty shirley 1x12 combo - that combo sounds huge even as a 1x12. That's the beauty of the Dirty Shirley - all the bottom end punch you want from whatever you pair it with.

17. 55hz

55hz Member

410 smokes a 212. And it’s lighter.

18. buddy7168

buddy7168 Supporting Member

4x12 sounds better to me, generally speaking. 2x12s are still cool though.

19. MESA/BUDDA

MESA/BUDDA Member

4x12 over a 2x12 for sure...and additionally, 2 x 1x12 cabs over 1 x 2x12 cab.

20. zwiefldraader

zwiefldraader Member

Still don't get, why BIG is such a fetish per se.
    There are so many situations in which a slimmer guitar sound sits way better in the mix without any frequency hassle with the bass player.
    I find smaller applications sounding way airier and more transparent.
    I wouldn't even like to think about how B.B.King would've sounded through a 412. I do prefer the Gallagher sound with his 212 AC30 compared to his 412 Marshall recordings (Rockpalast). Bigger ain't always better.

+1
    I'm totally in line with that.
    My experience is that 212s are very special dogs that, regarding frequency response, differ more from 412s than oversized 112s.
    I find two big 112s a better solution for rock than a 212.
    One closed back, one open could make for a big sounding pair with good dissipation on stage as well.

Chance Terrill likes this.