2x10 speaker wattage match?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Keifer, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Keifer

Keifer Silver Supporting Member

I was wondering how close the watts need to be in a 2x10 cab. I have an Alltone 10-40 40 watts 97db spl and a WGS G10-a 75 watts, also with a 97db spl.....It's hard to hear if the WGS is louder but it has more low end than the Alltone

2. J M Fahey

J M Fahey Member

No need to match wattage, as long as the lower one handles 1/2 head power out, plus, say, 30% to 50% extra for safety.

Matching SPL is more important but you already did that ;)

3. pdf64

pdf64 Member

The sensitivity rating is what determines how loud a speaker is (for a given power).
    The wattage rating is how much power it can cope with.
    So I'd expect two 97dB/m speakers fed with the same power to be fairly close in volume, assuming they're both the same nominal impedance, eg 8 ohms.
    The max power rating of the cab is around twice that of the lowest rated speaker, so 80 watts in this case.
    It's best to limit the rated power of the amp used to around half that of the cab, eg so no more that a 50 watt amp.
    Because when cranked, an amp may put out about 50% more than it's rated power.

4. Keifer

Keifer Silver Supporting Member

Thank you! The amp is putting out 40 Watts so it sounds like I'm good