2x12: Avatar vs White Box?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ahcleinad, Mar 2, 2012.

1. ahcleinad

ahcleinad Member

So planning on getting a new 212 to replace the Bogner I just sold and was considering White Box until I remembered about Avatar. Just need something that'll sound big but not big physical.

Has anybody compared the 2 by any chance? I was looking to get the Avatar Contemporary and White Box Modern. Haven't heard much about White Box or seen much of them at all.

Or are there other 212 out there for under $500 with shipping?

2. Nork

Nork Member

have read some great things about the white box cabs. totally comparable.

3. cradlefish

cradlefish Member

i used to owned a vintage avatar...nice cab! Now I own a whitebox! Built sturdier and sounds bigger! Both are great cabs but I went with WB and have no regrets!

4. JYD

JYD Supporting Member

I am resurrecting this thread, because I am in the market for a good 2x12 that has a convertible back option.

Are there any further experiences from anyone with either of these cabs or both and how they compare?

Thanks!

5. germs

germs Member

i've been steady gigging my Avatar Contemporary (Orange clone) for a few years now. no complaints. probably the best value in guitar cabs out there, if you're one to know what you want in a speaker cab. plus you get all the cool things like tolex/piping/grille options.

6. Kindred_Spirits

Kindred_Spirits Member

Just placed an order for a WhiteBox 2x12 Modern in Fender Rough Blonde / Oxblood to go with my Supersonic head.

Haven't heard much talk about them on TGP... can't wait for it to come though.

7. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

The Traditional sounds pretty big.
    I did not like the vintage as much as the traditional with an open oval back