2x12 cab - Eminence Governor & ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hector, Feb 27, 2009.

1. hector

hector Member

I'm planning to use a 2x12 cabinet with various 15-50 watt heads (Rebel 20, Blackheart Handsome Devil, Mesa Express, and Dr. Z Maz 18). I like the Eminence Governor and want to pair it with another Eminence Redcoat to get a classic, balanced sound for a rock cover band. In the past, I always looked for max clean headroom, but I must admit, I like the breakup of the Governor. I thought about adding another Gov. but figured it would be too mid-heavy. So, I'm considering the Red Fang, Wizard, Private Jack, or Tonkerlite. Actually, I tried the Gov/Wiz combo already. It was nice, but a little on the brighter side to me. I see people doing the Gov/PJ together too. But, thought it might be too bright? So what do you think? Governor mixed with an Eminence _____ (fill in the blank).

2. BPSUL

BPSUL Member

You've covered some of the best options already.

Maybe a Tonker?

Also - I've heard people have great results mixing some of the patriot series. Some of the patriot series still have a british flavor. Such as the C-Rex or the Swamp Thang.

3. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

Keep in mind that these Emi speakers take a long time to break in. Eventually, the brightness will subdue.

4. BPSUL

BPSUL Member

bwahhhahahah! I seriously just lauged out loud

5. ianb

ianb Member

I have had the best results mixing the Gov with a Celestion G12H Heritage, although that might be quite similiar to the Gov/Wiz mix. But I do like brilliant highs, punchy mids, and nice lows. This combination gives me all of that.

If you want to try mixing the Gov with a more subdued Emi, then the C Rex and Swamp Thang both have more subdued highs and a real big low end (might even be too much).

An Emi which is right in between those options is the Texas Heat, one of my favorites, very nicely balanced, not too brilliant, not too fat, nice mids, but not too forward like the Gov.

I haven't tried mixing a TH with the Gov though, I use it in a 1x12 combo.

Hope this helps a bit.

6. Steeltoe

Steeltoe Member

[​IMG]
    Gov/Wiz works well for me.

7. Stormbringer

Stormbringer Member

I have a Germino 2x12 Cab with a Governor and a Scumback H75. But I am running 50-watters through that. Sounds fantastic to me.

8. Metalheart

Metalheart Member

I have a Splawn 212 with Gov & Manowar x-pattern and love it! It realy sounds good. :) I think the Mano is close to the V30? :)

9. GearHeadFred

GearHeadFred Member

I have a Emi Swamp Thang paired with a Emi Governor in a closed-back Avatar 2x12.. Very nice combo.. The Swamp warms up the tone and adds richness to the low end. I play classic rock with a JTM45 head.

10. hector

hector Member

I have a Swamp Thang and will try it with the Gov. I'll put my Wizard in a 1x12 cab and continue to break it in. I may try it again with the Gov. in the future.

11. BPSUL

BPSUL Member

Please report back...

12. el34power

el34power Member

FWIW i think the red fang would sound amazing. I had a 4x12 with 2 GB RI and 2 fangs in an x pattern for my 2203. Really nice mix.

13. hector

hector Member

Has anyone tried two governors in a 2x12 cab? Maybe, too much mid-range?

14. joel98z

joel98z Member

+1 on the wizard / gov combo mentioned above.

15. jchan

jchan Member

The Red White and Blues is supposed to be a very mellow speaker related to the Governor. Maybe that's something to consider to balance the high end.

16. Mark dB

Mark dB Member

I have a Governor (kinda like a V30) paired with a ManO'War (kinda like a G12T75) in a home built 2x12 cabinet. I run a Tele through an 18watt style head, no FX, into the 2x12 and I am one happy camper. The ManO''War by itself (1x12) has the most beautiful breakup mode that I've had the pleasure to experience in a speaker.

17. bartmcartman

bartmcartman Supporting Member

18. III

III Member

Allright... some Man O War love. I like my MOW and RWB combo in my old 2X12. Tight low end from the RWB and essential British flavor from the MOW.

19. papersoul

papersoul Member

To me Emi speakers sound warm and smooth almost out of the box. I find Celestions take longer to break in. I am always shocked at how quick Emi's sound smooth and warm!

Emi recommends the Gov/CRex blend.

20. reverendfrankie

reverendfrankie Supporting Member

Another vote for the Gov/CRex combo. I tried it with the Red Fang and V30 - but the CRex compliments it perfectly. No loss of highs, both are similar in volume (i think even the same db rating) - and the overall result is just 'smooth'.
    Again, YMMV
    Rev