• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

2x12 cab for Marshall

dmbandtimmy

I just purchased a marshall JMP from a forum member. Any recommendations for a good 2x12 cabinet with greenbacks to purchase for it?

I'd love a 4x12, but it would live in the house if I bought one of those. The days of hauling my 4x12 traditional mesa cab out are long gone.

I did do a search and found some ideas, but I'd like to hear what you guys would pair with the JMP.

Shades of Blue

Silver Supporting Member
I bought the 2x12 vertical Origin cabinet and put Greenbacks in it. All in for pretty dang cheap after selling the Seventy 80s. LOVE the cab, though people hate on it for being MDF.

Dunno...but I'd look into Sourmash for a 1936 clone; I have one for my DSL50 and it's...well, a 1936 lol. Marshall may have switched back away from mdf for their own 1936 cabs again and probably have a variant stock with greenbacks.

BMX

Silver Supporting Member
I‘d just get the avatar vintage cab. It’s cheaper than others and sounds as good as any cab I’ve heard. You can whatever speakers you want. I‘d personally get creambacks instead of Greenbacks but a lot of people like greenbacks So that’s a good choice too.

AA864

I like 2x12 vertical cabs. I have a 2061CX and a Mesa Recto with a V30/12H30 mix in each. With a full size Marshall head, you prob want a horizontal 2x12 cab. As cool as the Marshall cab looks, the Mesa is a better built cab in every respect.

We can all recommend StoneAge, SourMash, MojoTone, Avatar etc and the like, but they are pricey new. I never buy any of these new, I just look on CL and pick up what's available that meets my needs.

Here's an example of a cheap 2x12 on CL (not mine, no affiliation)

if ya have deeper pockets, here's a V30 loaded Friedman 2x12. I'm sure it's better in every respect to the Cheap one above.

Only you can pick your price point.

Last edited:

dmbandtimmy

You guys rock. Thanks for the suggestions! Would you guys go slant or straight?

I’ll look into scumbacks too. Any recommendations on a place to order them from? A used cab loaded with scumbacks would be killer, but I don’t see any for sale.

Mark Robinson

Platinum Supporting Member
I would find one with a removable back, not a front loader. I happen to have two Guytron cabs, since I have a Guytron head. I use them with the Marshall head all the time, or an AC 30 head.

I didn't like open back, too diffuse, and super loud, irritated our drummer too. Didn't like closed back, super beamy, and I'd need to get way away to hear it. So I made slotted backs, imitating THD's design, about an inch open slot across the back, centered on the speakers, which added some thump, not as diffuse as open back and not as beamy as closed back. But that said, either Marshall 4 x 12" A or B, sounds 60% better, just more full, with the perfect footprint, and treble, middle, bass balance. My 2 x 12" are easier to move, that's nice, but that is it. Sonically, four speakers is a huge improvement. Just is.

Speakers are a subjective thing. Mixing I shied away from forever, but I've embraced it. I like a mix of an alnico for fullness and a bright ceramic to deliver the cut. I have also enjoyed the Jensen Tornado, nice balance, clarity and lightweight and you don't have to worry about blowing it. 25 watt Celestions sound great, but can be blown pretty easy in a 2X, higher power ratings are safer, Scumbacks will do it, Fane Alnicos, Fane Ceramics, I have I think the F-70 in one of my cabs, with a Celestion Gold, good sound. A well broken in V-30 is good, but should be combined with something with more bass. I didn't like the V-30 with G 12 T75. There are knobs on the amp and knobs on the guitar, turn them every which way, get happy, have fun!

Last edited:

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Marshall Silver Jube reissue 2x12 that was really nice. Marshall G12 black speakers which I guess are V30 style?
I ended up installing NEO creambacks and getting the Marshall casters, KILLER cabinet that sounded great with anything and weight in less then 50lbs.

71strat

Ask Pete if he would build one one of these. He will know what it is.

I had him build a 1966 Marshall JTM45/100 TVB replica cabinet 5 years ago, and the work, and materials are as good as it gets.

1603324812164.png

Heres a cabinet Mather built for me 1603325533470.png

Last edited:

Trending Topics