2X12 cabs: Avatar, Sourmash, Marshall... who makes a good one for a fair price?

Reckedtrek

I've always been a 4X12 guy, but as age creeps in, I'm beginning to realize that having a 2X12 cab around might be a smart move.

I've got two 12" speakers that I'd like to use (WGS Vet30 and WGS ET65), so ideally the cab can be empty. I'd like an open back or a convertible back to help spread the sound a bit, even though it will sound less like a 4X12. I'm thinking around $300, and it looks like Avatar and Sourmash make empty cabs in that price range.

I'd use it with one of a Marshall DSL100 or JCM800, a Carvin x100b, or a Laney GH100L. I use whichever depending on the actual band and my mood that day. I play 70's -90's hard rock and I'm in a 90's alt rock band now (AiC, Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, that sort of stuff) just to give you an idea of how I'll use the cab at practice, and smaller gigs with tight stages.

So what do you recommend? What's good, what's junk? I'm good with new or used. Thanks in advance!

sleewell

avatar and whitebox, own them both and love them. great American companies to support.

Gnarlly

I have an Avatar traditional 2x12 cab with WGS ET-65s that I use with a Marshall 2204 (also as an extension for my 4104 and DRRI).

It's open back (oval port on back), but I also created a removable back panel that I can insert to cover the hole from the inside that attaches via velcro. It closes the back up completely (I attached two "pull tabs" to pull it back against the velcro), and gives the cab more thump when needed, but there is plenty of thump with the open back (plus more sound spread and airy highs). Installs and removes in seconds, and with the panel removed, no one can see the velcro attached to the edge of the inside of the oval port (I'll have to post some pics).

It is a fantastic cab, and compares nicely with more expensive cabs. I have owned Marshall 2x12s (1936: cheap plastic hardware and materials), a Mesa 2x12 (solidly built, but weighed a ton), and a few others, and the Avatar is just as good IMO. I chose the Traditional as it is significantly less heavy and bulky compared to their Vintage and Contemporary cabs, and does not sound as "boomy." Good wood, solid metal hardware, great prices, and comes in the tolex/grillcloth of your choice (I chose white tolex and black grillcloth and hardware to match my white 20th anniversary 4104 and 2204).

ledzep618

I don't care for sourmash at all - not nearly as impressed as others with their quality. Depending on what size you are looking for you really cannot beat Mojotones for build quality and ease of customer service. In fact, Mojo builds that cabs for a ton of boutique builders and Mojo cab blanks are what Avatar receives for finishing.

Mojo offers so many more colors schemes, styles, and options, I would just go straight to the source.

naveed211

Sometimes you can find a used Budda for pretty cheap. I personally love the Budda Phat speakers, though many don't.

smallbutmighty

Silver Supporting Member
I don't care for sourmash at all - not nearly as impressed as others with their quality. Depending on what size you are looking for you really cannot beat Mojotones for build quality and ease of customer service. In fact, Mojo builds that cabs for a ton of boutique builders and Mojo cab blanks are what Avatar receives for finishing.

Mojo offers so many more colors schemes, styles, and options, I would just go straight to the source.
Wow...I think this is the first time I've seen anyone criticize Sourmash! I just got a Sourmash 2x12 a few months ago.... his 1936, but customized to my own dimensions, with my choice of speakers, tolex color, grille cloth, input configuration, amp skids, corners, casters, etc. The process was super easy and fast, and it came out exactly how I spec'ed it. It is top shelf quality. I would buy from Bob again without hesitation.

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
I have an Avatar traditional 2x12 cab with WGS ET-65s that I use with a Marshall 2204 (also as an extension for my 4104 and DRRI).

It's open back (oval port on back), but I also created a removable back panel that I can insert to cover the hole from the inside that attaches via velcro. It closes the back up completely (I attached two "pull tabs" to pull it back against the velcro), and gives the cab more thump when needed, but there is plenty of thump with the open back (plus more sound spread and airy highs). Installs and removes in seconds, and with the panel removed, no one can see the velcro attached to the edge of the inside of the oval port (I'll have to post some pics).

It is a fantastic cab, and compares nicely with more expensive cabs. I have owned Marshall 2x12s (1936: cheap plastic hardware and materials), a Mesa 2x12 (solidly built, but weighed a ton), and a few others, and the Avatar is just as good IMO. I chose the Traditional as it is significantly less heavy and bulky compared to their Vintage and Contemporary cabs, and does not sound as "boomy." Good wood, solid metal hardware, great prices, and comes in the tolex/grillcloth of your choice (I chose white tolex and black grillcloth and hardware to match my white 20th anniversary 4104 and 2204).
I have the same cab and like it a lot.
I use it with Marshalls & Buddas.

Sometimes you can find a used Budda for pretty cheap. I personally love the Budda Phat speakers, though many don't.
I've got my eye out for a cheap used Budda cab since I've been using Budda amps lately.
I've seen them go for $200 on EBAY.

Lono

I was in the same boat as you a couple of years ago and made the change from 4x12's to 2x12's. I bought a used unloaded 2X12 Avatar traditional cab and installed a V30 and an Anniversary G12H and have never looked back. Now I have 3 others I purchased new from Avatar with a mix of Lynchbacks, Scumbacks and some old Mesa Black Shadows. I can mix and match as the mood suits me. They all sound great and work for me perfectly, plus my back is still thanking me.

lochry

Gold Supporting Member
Pete Mather -- Mather cabs in Music City.

Great to work with. Can do anything you want. Knows period details.

pharmacybear

Wow...I think this is the first time I've seen anyone criticize Sourmash! I just got a Sourmash 2x12 a few months ago.... his 1936, but customized to my own dimensions, with my choice of speakers, tolex color, grille cloth, input configuration, amp skids, corners, casters, etc. The process was super easy and fast, and it came out exactly how I spec'ed it. It is top shelf quality. I would buy from Bob again without hesitation.
I agree, Bob Forrester has been nothing but helpful with me, and he was very patient with all my nitpicking that I was doing. I've got a 2061CX Sourmash 2x12 cab. I wanted the sound of a 4x12, but the weight and practicality of a 2x12. I compared Mojotone, Avatar, as well as a couple others, but SourMash was the way to go. I also wanted it to have an open back and a particular grill cloth he didn't have in stock and he was able to accomodate (in this case, for not extra charge).

Wait time is two weeks, which most other places is much longer. And for the price of the unloaded cab, I think it bests most of the other brands as well. I'm very happy. I'm going to be ordering another one in the next year for my stereo set up.

ronmail65

Gold Supporting Member
Over the years, I have owned a few Avatar cabinets -- mostly Vintage style -- 1x12, 2x12, and 4x12s. All my experiences with Avatar have been great - no complaints. I think they have great prices and customer service.

The only other cabs I have owned have been Marshalls (various stock cabs - 1960s, 1965s, 1966s, 1936s), which IMO, didn't sound as good and were about twice the price. Needless to say, after my first Avatar purchase, I sold my remaining Marshall cabs and never went back.

tresspassor

Best deal if you want something stock = Used Avatar.
Best Deal if you want something custom = Sourmash.
I've got cabs from both and they are both good quality.

-analog-

For British style cabs = STONE AGE CABS

For D-Style, Check out amplifiednation.com Taylor will make your dreams come true.. Those V-Boutique cabs on ebay arent bad either! Dumble spec and run around $300...
Avatar cabs are great too but over the years their either too big or way to small to meet my needs - always boils down to 2" to short or a foot too long with their stuff.

just be careful with some of those ebay guys, I picked up a cab last year from a seller and it was supposed to be 3/4" PLY and it was 3/4" MDF they tried hiding this by tolexing the inside of the cab...

Just be mindful of "you get what you pay for!"...

SeeMoore

The Laney cub 212 sounds like a good deal for $200 loaded,
Rubber feet on two sides for horizontal or vertical setup.

Trending Topics