2X12 cabs: Avatar, Sourmash, Marshall... who makes a good one for a fair price?

Reckedtrek

An update: I've decided to give Avatar a try! I've ordered a G212H Premier Traditional Cab, Black on black w/white piping, open back with a conversion board so I can run it as a closed back if I choose to. It should be here in about a week. My WGS Vet30 and ET65 (@8ohms each) speakers are waiting to be installed!

Can't wait to hear this setup and will report back once it's together and roaring.

Thanks for everyone's input on this thread!

jakethesnake

An update: I've decided to give Avatar a try! I've ordered a G212H Premier Traditional Cab, Black on black w/white piping, open back with a conversion board so I can run it as a closed back if I choose to. It should be here in about a week. My WGS Vet30 and ET65 (@8ohms each) speakers are waiting to be installed!

Can't wait to hear this setup and will report back once it's together and roaring.

Thanks for everyone's input on this thread!

I also ordered an Avatar G212 Vintage yesterday. I found this picture on their facebook page and it's the color combo I went with:

I had a very good experience with them ordering. Can't wait until it arrives!

Reckedtrek

I also ordered an Avatar G212 Vintage yesterday. I found this picture on their facebook page and it's the color combo I went with:

I had a very good experience with them ordering. Can't wait until it arrives!
Awesome and congratulations! As we're both on the east coast, we'll likely be getting them on the same day +/- one. Happy New Year with your new cab!

dbeeman

Platinum Supporting Member
Dave at Avatar has great cabs at about the lowest price you can get with quality. The traditional port back cab is likely what the OP is looking for.

If you need something more customized Anthony at stagecraft is very hard to beat for quality, price and service

Swanson cabs are very well made but a bit moire pricey

The Mather cab I had with my Heritage amp was fine too.

I don't have first hand experience with

The Mojo 4 * 12 I had was nice and light (for a 4 * 12)

For something different Dave at Forte is great. Well built, and first class service

chetz

Bought my son an Avatar 2x12 to go with modified JTM45 clone I built. Loaded it with Scumbacks (an H and M) and it sounds fantastic. The amp is the best sounding JTM45 clone I've ever heard and the cab/speaker sealed the deal on the sound.

Reckedtrek

Bought my son an Avatar 2x12 to go with modified JTM45 clone I built. Loaded it with Scumbacks (an H and M) and it sounds fantastic. The amp is the best sounding JTM45 clone I've ever heard and the cab/speaker sealed the deal on the sound.
Sounds pretty sweet! Build me a JTM45 clone and I'll let you know how it sounds through the WGS speakers! It's a win-win! :)

jekylmeister

Raconteur Extraordinaire
Gold Supporting Member
I picked up a used Marshall 1936 2x12 for $260 recently on CL. Used along side my 1960 4x12 and my Marshall head, it really adds a lot of space and separation to my sound.
At home, I push it with my 20W Egnater Rebel and it rawks.
I know not of these Avatars, but you all have me curious.

Last edited:

jakethesnake

my cabinet came today, played using it for a couple hours, sounds really good! I'll try and post pictures tomorrow.

samdjr74

Silver Supporting Member
I had sourmash build me a diagonal 2x12 for my Orange TH30 head last year and I'm very happy with it. Nice fit, well made and not overly heavy

Reckedtrek

It's here, and it's loaded!

I put in the WGS ET65 and Vet30 the other day and I'm breaking them in now. It's open back, but I got the closed back conversion board in case. Pretty happy so far! Can't wait till the speakers are broken in! Helps make a nice portable, small but rockin' setup!

JumpMarine

Avatar is the best bang for your buck out there. I've been using a Vintage 1x12 for years and just got one of their over sized Signature Series 2x12 that is incredible. Oval open back and I also got the baffle to make it a closed back. The quality is shockingly good.

Maruuk

The shipping'll kill ya on one of those eBay jobs. Now the music stores have all gone to free shipping (and I use Amazon Prime as well) you get spoiled.

Not really. How much should they charge to send a 50 lb package across the country? $57 bux for me. That's comes in way below anything name brand. I still think it's way fair.

But you won't get internet street cred.. :D

Maruuk

Yeah, Avatar charges about $45 for a typical cab. I guess when you compare to Fender or Marshall it's an excellent deal. Only Behringer beats everybody price-wise with that sub-$200 2-12 stereo cab with free shipping and no tax in some states. But that's not to compare quality of course. Though lately I'm partial to 1-15" configs.

acwild

Yeah, Avatar charges about $45 for a typical cab. I guess when you compare to Fender or Marshall it's an excellent deal. Only Behringer beats everybody price-wise with that sub-$200 2-12 stereo cab with free shipping and no tax in some states. But that's not to compare quality of course. Though lately I'm partial to 1-15" configs.

Avatar has free shipping right now for most item except their 1x12 cabs. I ordered their Signature 2x12 in burgandy because I thought it looked great in their website picture. It slipped my mind that it's going to be paired with a Marshall head so I'm now wondering if it's going to look like a bad mis-match. :jo

Trending Topics