1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

2x12 cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by themusicboxstudios, May 12, 2005.

1. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

hi guys, i'm in an atl rock band that plays music to the likings of coldplay, ryan adams, engine down, and switchfoot ... i'm planning on getting an orange twin channel head ... and i wanted to know which 2x12 cab i should match it up with. How are the mesa cabs with the vintage 30's? can anyone explain to me the difference between most speakers or cabs.

thanks guys, jon

2. LordRiffenstein

LordRiffenstein Member

Why not get the matching Orange 2x12? Other than that, check out THD or Engl or Mesa or or or...:D

3. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

Get a 2x12 with g12h30's, by celestion. They seemed really mellow to me compared to vintage 30's. Also, a good deal can be had at www.avatarspeakers.com

4. skiltrip

skiltrip Guest

I just got an Avatar 2x12 G212H special cab for $207 on ebay. this thing is awesome. you can't make a much better cabinet. other manufacturers look fancy and all, but you can't improve much over a well made box with killer speakers in it.

if you want a killer 2x12, look at www.avatarspeakers.com , and look no further!

5. raz

raz Member

Avatar got the best prices. Swanson, Reason, and Burt got stunning construction. Dr. Z (Z-Best) and Rivera got the best bass response, IMHO.

I had a Mesa 2x12 vertical Recto cab with V-30's. It sounded fine, not exceptional.

R
    A
    Z

6. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

The Orange 2x12 with Vintage 30s sound fantastic and will work very well with your amp.

The Mesa recitifier cab with the V30s is also great and is a little shorter. It will sound great too...but it won't match as well with your Orange ;).

The other cabs mentioned (Avatar, Z Best, etc) are all good cabs. Nothing wrong with them. My favorite open back is the Bogner 2x12 Shiva cab, but for your amp and based on your influences, I think you'll want the Orange cab...

7. vinniek

vinniek Guest

I use a Trace Elliot 212 with a Marshall TSL100 head. Sounds Awesome. This 212 has celestion silver backs and is switchable to 4, 8, and 16 ohms. has 2 inputs on the back. Not sure but this, I would assume is for stereo.
    I have played this cabinet up against a 412 Sovtek and the trace blew it away. I think the sovtek has emminense:( speakers in it.

8. Gravity Orange

Gravity Orange Member

Might I suggest trying a 2X12 with (1) V30 and (1) greenback in it....or a g12h30 instead of the greenback. If it is a vertical cab put the greenback in the bottom. This I what I am planning on getting to go with my Shiva head (if I can even find one).

9. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

thanks for all the responses ... one more question ... i plan on eventually buying something like an fender bassman head or something and then a/b the heads for my clean and distortion but they'd be through the same cab. is this a bad idea? anything special i need in the cabs? these avatar cabs sound like a good choice ... especially since the orange cabs are at least twice as much. anyone else have a good experience with them?

-jon

10. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

THD makes one a helluva 2x12...

11. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Jenkins!

I had a standard 2X12 that I sold to my studio owner freind, he raves about it.

I now have a Highway 61 with a GB and G12H, love it to tears.

12. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

I have 2 Orange amps - Retro 50 head + 4x12 and AD30TC as a 2x12 combo. I've used both amps thru other cabs/speakers (2x12 Greenbacks, 2x12 Blues, 2x12 with 1 V30 and 1 G12H) and kept coming back to the stock configuration which seems to be dialled in just right for the Orange amps.

Chris

PS They look beautiful too and are built like a brick s*** house too!

13. Bajan

Bajan Member

I have one of those too and feel the same way. Mine has Webers. With the ability to run either open or closed back and having a parallel/serial switch, there is a lot of versitility with this cab, here's a pic:

[​IMG]

14. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Well I love my Burt V2x10 and my Mad Sound Detuned 1x10.
    Not sure if a detuned is the way to go for your style of music .. but it kranks low end! the Burt does those piercing high's better.
    Besides that these two cabs made my Bogner cube look like a sad piece of firewood ...
    I did have a 2x12 combo once by Holland amp and the sound from that was huge, but you'll be hard pressed to find any Holland cabs out there.

15. EchoGecko

EchoGecko Member

i bet those who own a bogner or thd 212 would disagree. i know that the bogner cube and the CAA 112 slay any other 112 and most 212s. i bet ed degenero will chime in here...there's a lot more to cab construction than you think. not that your avatar isn't great (tho i've never heard one)...but that's not the point.

edit: never heard anyone dog a bogner cube...except the above poster! lol, i didn't see that. but still he proves my point.

16. mike patrick

mike patrick Supporting Member

Hi all,
    pends on what your looking for,in case I have fuchs gear 100w tds 4x12 w/rwb's and a2x12 ported back w1265cel's and the 2x12 wins all the way around,but I like the rf sound and this put just the right seasoning in the mix .