2x12 for Kemper???

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by VESmedic, Jan 20, 2015.

1. VESmedic

VESmedic Member

I've been a kemper user for almost 3 years, and have been exclusively FRFR with my Yamaha DXR 12s . I love them, but lately I've thoufht about having the "real amp sound and feel" on stage lately. I've been playing real amps lately and just miss that at times, and wouldn't mind having that as an option, especially for smaller unmicd gigs where in my opinion , an amp on stage unmicd canoften sound better than a digital rig straight through the PA.

so, I'm looking for opinions. I will still use FRFR , and that's what I use to dial in my tones1, so I'm not worried about a 2x12 " coloring"u sound verses what is
    Going to the FOH AND in fact, I welcome that for my particular situation, as I know already exactly what I'm sending direct to the FOH.

so I'm playing mostly rock and country oriented stuff, mostly using m britt profiles for almost everything.

2. VESmedic

VESmedic Member

What would you guys reccomend? Alnico Blues? Golds? V30s? Greenback?

the tech 21 power engine is also an option, as it may satisfy my want for an amp on stage type of feel.

3. tnakari

tnakari Member

EVM12L's are good all-around speakers with Kemper. Heavy as hell, though.

4. charley

charley Supporting Member

I have a Matrix NL12. It is small, light, and very powerful. It sounds like a big big cabinet....almost 4x12ish. Matrix also makes a 2x12 called the NL212. I would love to try one someday (or 2). If portability is important, I highly suggest looking at the NL series from Matrix.....they are light and do not compromise on tone.

5. TheAmpFactory

TheAmpFactory Member

Search for montage cabs.. Extreme cheap, but they are one of the best ever cabs i have used.. I use 2x12 withe kemper with a gold & blue just fine.. With my new di profiles i cannot tell the difference at all between the real amp and kemper+di+cab

Goodluck. Glad you found your holy grail.

6. rnrmf

rnrmf Member

I like my EVH 2x12 with the Kemper. Though I go in and out on liking the cleaner profiles, the heavier/crunchier ones always sound great.

7. tvegas99

tvegas99 Silver Supporting Member

I have and Avatar 2x12 loaded with a Creamback H75 and a Celestion V30, the amp in the room sound is all there... I love it

I think having a cab with 2 Blues would be great choice

Lastly, MBritt uses a 2x12 with a Creamback H75 and a Clelestion Classis Lead 80 (I think) which is worth considering as well

8. Mr God

Mr God Member

I would personally use Fane Studio 12L's or something like that.

9. VESmedic

VESmedic Member

Thanks Andy, how do you like the blue/gold combo with your fentastic and fender toolkit? I know fenders are known to have " their sound" with Jensen and oxfords usually, and I use both of those packs from you quite a bit as well especially the deluxe and 58 pro. Those are some of my go to sounds as well so I'm curious what you think about blue/gold combo with those.

10. TheAmpFactory

TheAmpFactory Member

Well they are OK, but back then Profling for Live cabs was not an option really, (not like it is today) Fender are always best paired with Jensons.. - dont get me wrong, you can make them sound great, but some tweeking will be required..I'd recommend you hold off just a little longer..

Ive done some recent DI's of a Fender on a few test sessions recently, blasted through the Blue.Gold combo and they sounded really good.. not 100% Authentic (as a jenson would be required for that)..

FWIW, Blue/Gold Combo are for me the best paired speakers for live use, Alinco sparkle is really cutting in a mix, and those two types cover all the country/blues * classic rock.. they wont however suit a hot head gain amp such as a Marshall etc.but they cover the Low/med gain pretty much constant.

soon(tm) there will be a flurry of DI profiles for the Kemper (a lot from me too since I belive you are a CS User of mine) these will be the ones to take live rather than use the old format profiles, as for me they don't quite work too well, but the DI's are on a whole new level of authenticy

I profiled my ToneKing, Loaded a 1x12 cab with the same speaker, and literally, there was no difference, it even did the whole push/pull thing.. really incredible!..PITA though to sort out to sound perfect. but its doable!..

The bad news is, this wont translate to joe bloggs, because he might not have the same speaker driver or cab etc.. so im a bit nervous about how DI's will get treated!.. as you cant guess, and have to setup for the speaker used at the time!..

11. db9091

db9091 Member

2x12 is nice! Some profiles need minor tweaks (I recommend fiddling with HI and LOW SHIFT parameters under CAB) but some don't.

It IS different than FRFR, but you adjust quite quickly after 15 minutes of playing. Bystanders don't notice the difference unless you A/B them.

12. JerEvil

JerEvil Supporting Member

Are you going to use your profiles with the cab sim turned off for stage reference? That's what I did at my first gig with the camper last night. Works fantastic. I had my Jet City 1 X 12 onstage loaded with Celestion vintage 30, but ran direct to front of the house as well.

The sound guys seemed very impressed with stage sound as well as direct. Two of them were guitar players who'd not gotten to hear a Kemper yet so they were stoked. I could see them making hand motions when I would roll the volume back on my guitar and after the show they kept commenting on how well he cleans up on the same profile.

I'm going to do some comparisons between the 1x12 and my Splawn 2x12. I may end up returning the 112, but maybe not it's nice for small gigs.

13. Viabcroce

Viabcroce Member

Well, of course a guitar cab will impress its signature to the sound. I'd say: choose the transducers that are the closest to the genre\sounds you like, that is the one you'd use with a real amp.

OTOH, a cab is much more than a box hosting some transducers, and its design and engineering will automatically translate into usability, practicality, versatility and sound
    I've fallen in love with the Dragoon cabs, that are very versatile and musical, and extremely light.
    The cab I've used here for testing the Ambrosi amp is equipped with 2 Celestion Century neodymium, 102db cones. 160 W, 80Hz-5KHz, 14 Kg.
    And lord if it's loud!

Disregard the clip's sound quality, of course both the Profiler and the cab sound spectacular!

Here are some professional demos, with comparisons among different transducers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnIoc0XdRo0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vssNPYihvI4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgMJom8M6pw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yuw0GD9QK9E

HTH

14. spyeman

spyeman Supporting Member

I use these in a ported Port City cab and it's fantastic!!!!

15. flcmcya

flcmcya Silver Supporting Member

I'll be checking out the Missions at Namm.

16. lonestargtr

lonestargtr Silver Supporting Member

I just picked up a tech 21 power engine this weekend and I concur. It's a really nice alternative to the FRFR p.a. type speakers. And it's fairly inexpensive. It bridges the gap a little between FRFR's and guitar amps. My profiles sound good and it feels more amp-like and looks it as well. There are eq controls and it gets pretty loud. I could see using one or a couple of these on a gig some time.

17. SkyhighRocks

SkyhighRocks Member

My first time around with the Kemper, I used a powered Alto 112. I didn't jive with that at all. It made it very uninspiring to play.

This time however, I have a powerhead and will be running through either my Marshall 4x12 or my Lopoline 212 for on stage monitoring depending on venue size. I'll still run the mains out to FOH but I just prefer a guitar cab on stage with me. I use IEMs too but I like having the cab there as well.

18. blackmonday

blackmonday Member

I'm using an HD500 into the "power amp in" of a Spider Valve 2x12. It sounds amazing. The Spider valves use Vintage 30s. You can get a SV on craigslist for very, very cheap.

19. goodkungfu

goodkungfu Member

Michael, can I ask about the 2x12 that you typically use? I thought you had it loaded with cl80's but a few posts back there was talk of a creamback in there with 1 cl80.

I'm looking to load an avatar 2x12 and just switched to your profiles exclusively (they kick ass by the way, Marsha SL? Fuggedabouit. ;-) and was thinking 2 cl80's but the post above has me wondering. What are you using for onstage monitoring at the moment if I may be so bold?

Also, have you tried any of the SS pwramps? Matrix, ISP etc.

Fanks.

GKF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. goodkungfu

goodkungfu Member

I'm hoping that the DI's will sound with a fairly neutral speaker such as the EV or a celestion CL80 for instance. I for one am v excited and can't wait to get in on the act.

Thanks for all the hard work. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk