2x12 For Low Volume Recording

alivegy

I've been working a lot lately on getting a better recorded tone from my guitar. I currently play a 2203 into a Port City 2x12 filled with 2 Warehouse Lead 80 replicas. I use an Aracom attenuator to bring the volume levels down and can get a tone in the room that I am very happy with. I currently mix a cascade Fat Head and an SM57 together for my mics. No matter what I do I always seem to get a boomy and boxy tone at the mics, no matter what the room sound is. I think that I am fighting the port of the cabinet. Because the port is on the front and fires up I think that I get a lot of boominess from it that is difficult to dial out.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good closed back 2x12 that records well at lower than ear splitting volumes?

alivegy

I think that one of the problems that I run into is that if I try to close mic the cabinets I start picking up some nasty high frequency resonance. I'm tempted to try some padding in the cabinet to knock down the boominess and some of those reflections as well as closing off the port for recording before I look into just replacing it outright. Because again, I like what it does in the room.

Top Bottom