2x12 Madness - help me out here.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by electronpirate, Dec 12, 2005.

1. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Been looking pretty solidly for a decent 2x12 to add to my Zinky 2x12. But it seems like 2x12's are hotter than 4x12's these days for the hacking musician.

My Zinky is a 16 ohm cab, and for the life of me I can't find another one. So I'm looking elsewhere.

Need a closed back 2x12, would like whatever Eminence speaker is closest to the Celestion G12T-75 (which one is that?...so confusing.)

I'm maybe the only person on the planet who doesn't care for V30's, I've had a Bogner and a Mesa cab with those in it, and both of them were too 'lasery' for me.

I don't really see closed back's on Avatar, and the Buzzbomb seems pretty pricey. There are some Randall cabs with the new NeoDogs, but they're still getting 4x12 prices for those.

Oh, I play in a variety cover band. We go from STP, Nine days, REO, Velvet Revolver, Vertical Horizon (augh!) you get the idea. So I need a versatile cab:

16 ohm
    150 + watts

Anyone chime in with suggestions.

EP

2. gulliver

gulliver Member

3. jzguitar

jzguitar Member

Hey

I'd recommend the Earcandy Buzzbomb - I've had one for a few weeks and it's great. Closed back, ported, and you can pick whatever speakers you want. Tim is a great guy and will help you choose the woods, finish, speakers, and whatever other options you want. They are really not too pricey when you compare them to some of the other high-end cabs. Check on eBay, too - they put some of their cabs on there pretty regularly. They've also got a lesser priced line (can't remember the name, though) - check their site. Good luck and have fun!

jz

4. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

I went through this recently, pretty much researched everything to a stupid, obsessive compulsive level..
    I have had Bogners, Mesas, Marshalls, etc.. in the past

ended up ordering a buzzbomb 2x12
    the reviews on Harmony-Central and on this site are very compelling

the chunk of a great 4x12 with the openess of a semi open back

75s have a mid cut to them, not sure which Emminences would be the best
    speak with Tim..
    there are always 75s on ebay and this forum for sale, just get two 8s and wire them in series...

5. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Yeah, I keep looking at the BuzzBomb's, but at $550 a shot after speakers, shipping, etc, it seems a little pricey.

I may debouch into a decent 1x12, and be able to point it for coverage...

EP

6. aquadog

aquadog Member

That would be a Man 'O War. Don't remember where, but I saw a direct quote from eminence saying this is the direct replacement for it. Maybe it was from Doug Roccaforte?
    Anyway, thats what I replaced my G12T-75 with- humoungous improvement. I did notice that there seemed to be a tad more sustain with the celestion, but not much, and the overall improvements definately justified the switch.

7. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

I just happened to jump on Ebay Sat night and did an earcandy cab search
    caught one at the last few minutes of the auction, got it for 330 with 2 Wizards, this is new from earcandy, couldn't pass it up

8. drjenkins

drjenkins Supporting Member

I cant say enough about my Splawn 2x12. $499 with the Eminence speakers in it. I got the Man O War and the Gov in mine and just love it. Excellent build quality and price. Really like the Eminence more than I ever thought I would.

dave

9. blong

blong Supporting Member

You can get a closed back Avatar 2x12 with Celestion G12T-75's for under $400. Why not get that? Or call Dave at Avatar and ask him which Eminence speaker fits the bill. You might be able to get it for around $350. I have a Custom Avatar cab in tan tolex and it matches my Rake head perfectly, not to mention I dig the tones.

Bob

10. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

The THD 2x12 is amazing - not sure if it's 16 ohms though...

11. bscepter

bscepter Member

+1 for Avatar. Dave'll do you right.

12. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

I've been lusting after the new Marshall 2061CX. It seems a bit pricey but I have heard nothing but good things about them.

13. Erik

Erik Member

I've got a Buzzbomb that I can't say enough good things about.

14. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    You can find dozens of custom and stock cab makers in my Big List here (just updated today with several new builders):
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&postid=720146#post720146