2x12 on floor or on stand?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by neastguy, Jun 10, 2008.

1. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

Ive been playing a lot with my 2x12 on a stand, is this just not right? I'm thinking about leaving it on the floor.. the only issue is when we play smaller places the sound is coming out at my calves (not on stage)... we dont mic our guitars so how is it going to be heard? I'm torn, also feel that maybe I'm losing sum thump at the same time .... what to do?

2. guitarvc

guitarvc Member

I put my 2x12 on its roadcase just so it is elevated. I do this because it is much easier for me to hear my using a semii-open the sound is spread out better than the very directional closed back cabs. As far as losing thump, I find that the differece in bass response is very minimal and the crowd doesn't notice. Also, my amp has plenty of bass response, so I makes up for any loss that occurs with the semi-open cab configuration.

3. neastguy

I didnt think it should make that much of a diff... I dont need it on a stand to hear it.. I can hear it fine on the ground.. I'm just more concerned if the people in the audience can..

4. stump

stump Member

I sometimes stand mine up vertically. It seems to still allow some of the Bass that you get from the floor. Other times I lean it back to point up at me. The majority of times I just put it flat on the floor, it's a semi open back and I can usually hear fine. A friend of mine puts his 212 on the floor and uses a 112 cab to monitor when the need arises.

5. neastguy

but do you guys mic your cab?

6. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

It depends on the situation, but often I elevate mine. Leaving it on the floor increases bass but it's not always good bass and it's often indistinct and lacking in definition.

But shooting your signal directly at the audience's ear isn't always a good solution either. The height of the stage, distance from the audience, and volume you're playing also have to be taken into account.

7. Norjef

Norjef Member

Illi-noise - governors making license plates
    Try Weber Beamblockers and keep your amp on the floor, preferably a few feet back.

You'll hear better, the room AND audience in front of your amp should will get a better balance of frequencies.

Spend a couple hours directly in front of anyone's laser beam of treble and you'll wanna carry extras to put Beamblockers on other peoples amps too.

8. Guitar55

Guitar55 Who was that masked man? Silver Supporting Member

+1 on the Weber beam blockers. They work great.

Also, try this: http://ampstandback.com/
    Inexpensive and easy to carry with you.

9. straticus

straticus Member

I was going to recommend Beam Blockers too but you guys beat me to it!

But yea, a big +1 for the BB's!

10. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I find you loose some bass when the amp is lifted of the ground I do have an amp stand but hardly use it, what I do use is the Ampwedge it keeps my amp on the ground but able to tilt it back enough to hear it better but still retaining a good bass response.

http://www.ampwedge.com/

11. Structo

Structo Member

I put my 2x12 on the floor but aimed sidways at me.
    That way the audience isn't blasted by the beam of sound.
    Depending on the venue I mic the cab so the stage level isn't too high.

I also have a slanted stand I can use for lower stage levels then I mic it.
    You will get less bass with it elevated but that can usually be compensated for with a twist of a knob.
    YMMV

12. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

ultimate genesis amp stand is cool. sits low and has an adjustable tube in the back for different size amps that you can screw a gooseneck onto for your mic. it folds up into a small enough package to fit in my gig bag and strong enough to hold my tremoverb. 30 bucks well spent.

13. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I rarely play my 2x12 out. When I have, it's been on a chair or washing across the stage. When I have had it behind me on the floor, I couldn't hear it.

14. neastguy

thats weird I never have an issue hearing myself when its on the floor or on a stand.. I think I might try the beam blockers

15. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I have that one..... very good stand!

16. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Most of the time I turn my horizontal 212 on its side so its like a vertical cab. It makes the cab sound wider, you still get the bass from the floor, and the top speaker is closer to my ear.

I have put it on a road case or chair before, but if I have enough space, I like to keep the cab on the ground....

17. LaXu

LaXu Member

I have to try turning mine vertical. I've been using it on a chair because I'm not a huge fan of having cabs on the floor because of floor reflections messing with the bass. This is the first 2x12 I've owned so it's bassy enough for me to begin with compared to the 1x12 combos I've preferred for a long time.