2x12 open-back combo v head + 2x12 (Same amp...)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Random Hero, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

What will I hear between a Marshall JVM 2x12 combo and the same head with the matching 2x12, with the same speakers. Basically, everything equal aside from the combo having an open back.

I take it that it won't be as focussed? How about the low end and general tone?

2. Rockyrollercat

Rockyrollercat Member

I would think the combo would be smaller so less boomy plus a directional 2x12 would have to be cranked louder to fill the room so people right in front will get blasted. I had a JVM for about 2 weeks, was not impressed with the tone or functionality of the memory/switching ect. I would look at the Splawn Street Rod.

RRC

3. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

This is what I thought. What often sounds bigger? Brighter?

4. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I think it would depend on how good the combo cab sounds right now, and which 2x12 cab you would be comparing it to.

I'm doing this now with a longtime favorite amp, a 1x15 combo (Sewell Wampus Cat). Same speaker in the combo as in a 1x15 external cab, comparing combo operation to the amp through that external cab only ... no contest. The head cab arrangement wins bigtime. Wider sound, better bass, a much more open overdrive sound. In this case, the combo cab clearly constrains the sound, versus the (excellent) Jenkins cab I'm comparing it to.

Another 1x15 here ('60 Fender Pro) is very different. Light, responsive pine cab. I have tried it versus the external cab, but not with the same speaker. Here the combo sound has compelling virtues. I've not tried this with a 2x12 combo ...
    MD

5. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

Does anybody happen to know how the JVM combo cabs sound?

6. Rockyrollercat

Rockyrollercat Member

My JVM sounded about the same as my AVT.

7. Random Hero

Random Hero Member

That isn't the most promising review I've ever read.