2x12 suggestions..Orange 2x12's, EVH 2x12... Others?

buddastrat

Still hunting for the right 2x12 cab for me. An Orange has come up locally for sale, it looks similar to the Recto 2x12 which I had. I did not like that cab, too closed/congested and overly bassy. Quite hard to hear myself on stage as the speakers sit so low. I like how the EVH allows to be angled up easily.

I currently have a Bogner 2x12C, it's the big one and it sounds great. Just a little too big to fit in the jeep. So I wanted to find something a little bit shorter without giving up sound. This Bogner sounded every bit as good as my Vintage Marshall 4x12s.

Had a THD 2x12 and it was nice. Didn't have the punch/depth of the Bogner, but easily portable and had a good sound with that port. Also had a recent Marshall 1936, that was just okay. Nothing bad, but nothing great. The Bogner beat all these cabs, by a mile.

I know the size has much to do with the tone. I read about the Scumback 2x12 which is 4" shorter, but it is deeper compared to my Bogner. Also the ability to have the back open/semi open/closed. I love that flexibility. They are no longer making cabs.

....Still looking for the perfect 2x12 cab.

b80

I have an Orange 2x12 Open Back and I love it. It's not that heavy and gets a clear sound from any direction.

jpage

Vertical metal grille Mesa Thiele cabs are probably the #1 2x12 cab I see on big stages. Which is something since these things have been discontinued for 25+ years. I love 'em.

Neon_Equilibrium

Silver Supporting Member
I own a Orange 212 closed back cab. Had it for several years. Super heavy and packs a punch. Lots of low and low mids. I love it though. One of the best cabs ever made imho.

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
Look for a Bogner 212CB. Absolutely awesome cab! Size is smaller than the regular OS cab but it is much deeper sounding as it is a deeper cab. You should have no issue fitting it in the Jeep and it is very easy to move around. I didn't like the Mesa cab 212 cab either. I haven't missed my 1960AX for a minute after I got this cab.

Good luck with your search!

buddastrat

Look for a Bogner 212CB. Absolutely awesome cab! Size is smaller than the regular OS cab but it is much deeper sounding as it is a deeper cab. You should have no issue fitting it in the Jeep and it is very easy to move around. I didn't like the Mesa cab 212 cab either. I haven't missed my 1960AX for a minute after I got this cab.

Good luck with your search!

Thanks. I was googling that one yesterday and it seems no one stocks or talks about that Bogner short 2x12 cab. I can't even find them in stock in the USA. Crazy, Bogner has like four different 2x12s that I know of. Do you have a pic of it on your rig?

Others I'm interested in.- Stoneage comes up, but their big cab is same dimensions as my Bogner. They do have a smaller one but it's not any deeper.

Another one that interests me is the Friedman 2x12. These things are so damn costly...

dirtyfunkg

Vertical metal grille Mesa Thiele cabs are probably the #1 2x12 cab I see on big stages. Which is something since these things have been discontinued for 25+ years. I love 'em.
Huh? I never knew Mesa made a 2x12 Thiele. Can you send a link to some details? I've searched for thiele 2x12's and never found one besides I think the Z-Best cab.

I've been very happy with my Genz Benz G-Flex 212 cab as a great 4x12 substitute. I put 2 G12-K85's in mine but the original Genz Benz speakers are pretty nice also.

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks. I was googling that one yesterday and it seems no one stocks or talks about that one. Bogner has like four different 2x12s that I know of. Do you have a pic of it on your rig? Casters with it?

Stoneage comes up, but their big cab is same dimensions as my Bogner. They do have a smaller one but it's not any deeper.

Another one that interests me is the Friedman 2x12. These things are so damn costly...
I'll take one and post it up for you here. I've tried several of the others. The Friedman unit is very nice piece as well and very similar to mine but I compared the 2 side by side and listened to them both at my local shop and the Bogner is 14" deep whereas the Friedman is 12" deep. Comparing them through my XTC head and the Bogner was much deeper in the bass. Clarity was similar. Both had the same V30 speakers. I got a killer deal on it through one of our forum members and it was barely used. Honestly, I don't think a lot of folks even know this cab exists. It is literally the very bottom half of a 4x12.

I'm actually pulling the V30s out of it an installing a couple of G12M-65 Creambacks in today. I'll take a few shots of that as well and post them up.

mikebat

^^ maybe he was referring to the vertical 2x12 with the metal grill. Closed back on the bottom and open back and angled on the top.

One came up for sale nearby.... and I hesitated....

edit: jpage beat me to the punch. That is the one. Two different types of speakers in two different types of enclosures in the same rugged cab

jpage

They these are the best stage cabs ever IMO. I have 2 of them loaded with an Emi Delta Pro cast frame in the bottom and a Mesa C90 up top. Great thump ('rock thump' lol, I am not a metal guy), great dispersion, great size and durability. Only issue I have is the casters, but since I have two I put all the wonky ones on one of 'em lol.

buddastrat

Nice pics and rigs.. I'm sure it sounds good, but that Mesa looks too big and I'm in the same boat. At first I thought it was a pic of a bunch of 4x12's. I want to downsize a little. That's the main thing. I think that shorter Bog PBGAS suggested might be the best for me, as it's a little deeper and will help keep a bigger sound.

buddastrat

I'll take one and post it up for you here. I've tried several of the others. The Friedman unit is very nice piece as well and very similar to mine but I compared the 2 side by side and listened to them both at my local shop and the Bogner is 14" deep whereas the Friedman is 12" deep. Comparing them through my XTC head and the Bogner was much deeper in the bass. Clarity was similar. Both had the same V30 speakers. I got a killer deal on it through one of our forum members and it was barely used. Honestly, I don't think a lot of folks even know this cab exists. It is literally the very bottom half of a 4x12.

I'm actually pulling the V30s out of it an installing a couple of G12M-65 Creambacks in today. I'll take a few shots of that as well and post them up.

this is really cool, you've actually AB-d them, and try in person. That's so hard to do. I like the Friedman specs, weight, size. I did notice it's not any deeper, but I thought maybe that port would help.

Bogner makes great stuff.. and I'm completely happy with the sound of this Bog cab, and won't get rid of it, until I find something that's at least as good. It has clarity, and a warm, woody tone. even the non China celestions. So it's gonna be hard to dump this cab! I did pull the casters and that helped a lot. So it's 24" tall now.

broken_sound

Silver Supporting Member
The best sounding 2x12 I've ever owned was my Divided by 13, versatile, spot on construction, and dimensioned perfectly for a big sound.

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
this is really cool, you've actually AB-d them, and try in person. That's so hard to do. I like the Friedman specs, weight, size. I did notice it's not any deeper, but I thought maybe that port would help.

Bogner makes great stuff.. and I'm completely happy with the sound of this Bog cab, and won't get rid of it, until I find something that's at least as good. It has clarity, and a warm, woody tone. even the non China celestions. So it's gonna be hard to dump this cab! I did pull the casters and that helped a lot. So it's 24" tall now.
One of the local more boutique retailers became a Friedman dealer in the middle of last year. They had this in stock with a couple of 4x12s as well as a few of the heads. I really loved the Dirty Shirley head! The Friedman cab sounded great, no question about that!

For comparison....my cab is 19.5 inches tall with the casters on.

buddastrat

those Bog cabs are just about non extstent! I do like the Splawn 2x12's, they are 20" tall and 14" deep, 13 ply birch...Sounds like very nice dimensions. they get good reviews too and are a bit less pricey compared to about every cab mentioned so far. the EVH is the only other one, but it looks like it's made with thinner wood. Doesn't look too beefy like the Bogners, Orange or Splawn. Reminds me of the Soldano cabs I tried, they were wimpy sounding with same speakers compared to Mesas. Looked like thinner wood.

Trending Topics