2x12 w/ speakers for different amps/sounds?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ivan555, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Ivan555

Ivan555 Supporting Member

I've looked around alot online and haven't found a similar thread to what I'm looking for -

I've got a 2x12 oval-open cabinet and want to use it solely for close mic recording, but using each speaker for different amps/styles. I'm pretty set on getting a Celestion Gold for clean and breakup tones (for use with a Dr Z and Fender blackface type amp), but I'd like to get a second speaker for more heavy organic tones. Not modern metal/scooped stuff, more big fuzz/garage rock/grunge style tones.

My questions are: how much do I need to worry about matching the two speakers wattage if I'm close micing only? What suggestions do you guys have for a speaker that will do well for fuzzed out/grungy tones while retaining as much clarity as possible? Trying to avoid a muddy mess which happens pretty easily with that style...

2. Geeze

Geeze Silver Supporting Member

Drifting about Tennessee in Marshall Heaven
    The only issue I know of with 'matching' speakers is not to exceed the lowest speakers power rating. If you have a 15 watt and a 50 watt speaker you have a 30 watt rated cab so to speak - if you plan to push the amp most tube amps will put out up to 2X the rated power i.e. a 50 watt amp is 50 watts of 'clean' power. So a bit of commonsense saves speakers.

The sensitivity of the speaker may cause an issue - I've seen replies on this all over the map. I've mixed speakers with as much as 3dB difference and not noticed enough to worry about it. Close miced even less of an issue.

I generally have better success managing fat OD syrupy tones like you describe with larger magnet speakers. For me the ultimate is the EVM12L as it adds no [or very little] coloration of the amp output. Unfortunately this is an area that only you will know when you find that speaker. This is a great time to hit up your gear friends [or make new ones] to test all of their speakers before you throw down $$$. Or you can do what I did and throw down $$$.

Russ

RAG7890 likes this.
  3. Ivan555

Thanks for mindful advice Geeze - I'm mostly using under 30watt amps and not crankin them to 10 anyways so not too worried about blowing anything. I already have a couple cabs with WGS and Celestion speakers that I use live, but I want to use this one specifically for recording. I'll def check out the EVM12L

The Celestion Gold is 50watts and I'm not finding many other speakers around that wattage; just wondering if it even matters for only close micing. My only concern is that if one speaker is rated higher, and I'm micing the other (lower rated) speaker, would the louder one drown out the one I'm close micing?

4. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Supporting Member

Yes, a louder speaker will drown out a quieter speaker, but it has nothing to do with wattage ratings. It has to do with the sensitivity ratings. If you want a Celestion speaker that will match well with a Celestion Gold, a G12 H is a fairly common choice.

5. Geeze

I can't answer the close mic question.

The speaker watt rating isn't the thing to watch for 'loudness' - its the sensitivity, namely how loud the speaker is when powered with 1 watt [probably a test tone] measured at 1 meter away. Both the Gold and the EVM are rated 100dB sensitivity so that won't be an issue. I doubt a couple of dB is going to matter. You can always switch between speakers too - I would just to check on 'interference' from the non miced speaker.

Russ

6. Ivan555

Gotcha - haven't read/heard anything about sensitivity ratings before. I see sensitivity ratings on the Celestion website but don't see it on any other speaker brand's specs. Is is the same as SPL rating?

Just to clarify: for instance the G12-150H Redback is rated at 150 watts but has 100db sensitivity rating (same as Alnico Gold), so it won't drown out the 50w Gold when I'm close micing because the sensitivity rating is the same? I'm not married to Celestion speakers whatsoever, just want to get a Gold and something else that'll work for clear and open gnarly fuzzed out/grungy stuff...

7. Geeze

Yes, you'll be fine!

Russ