2x12s.... Help!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Obi-Jon, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Obi-Jon

Obi-Jon Guest

We A/B'd my Egnater TOL 100 through my THD 2x12 and my buddies' CAE 2x12. I concluded that the THD does not have enough low end for me. I'm going for higher gain tones like ala Helmet. So I'll probably be replacing my THD 2x12 with another type of 2x12. Any suggestions? I've been reading good comments about the Orange 2x12....

2. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Helmut uses VHT amps, so look at the VHT FatBottom 2x12 perhaps...

Big fan of the THD 2x12 here...

3. westex

westex Disgruntled Optimist Silver Supporting Member

Two words: Bogner Oversized. Superior to a lot of 4X12s in "bigness". $5 - 600 used.

Wes

4. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Is your cab open or closed back. I think you should have better results with a closed back.
    Also not sure what speakers you have but a speaker change can make a big difference

5. Madsman

Madsman Member

I had the Bogner oversized cab and the THD at the same time, and preferred the THD, but you're right, for that kind of music, I'd prefer a 4X12 or the Bogner, CAE or VHT 2X12s personally.

6. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

check out earcandy
    there's one on the forum

that thing has BALLS

7. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I haven't experienced a 2x12 that seriously rivals a 4x12 in terms of "bigness" of the sound. It's not just a matter of air volume in the cab that constitutes that sound.

8. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Actually I had a detuned 1x10 sounded as big as a 2x12 but before I recommend a detuned cab .. they don't sound as good at high volume I feel...

9. Erik

Erik Member

Earcandy Buzzbomb 2x12...with the right speaker combo, it will rival most 4x12's. I A/B'd mine agains three 4x12's last night...a Recto Standard, a Recto Traditional, and a Marshall 1960. Truthfully, I want to run a 4x12 because my Splawn head looks wierd sitting on the Buzzbomb...but the Buzzbomb projects and cuts so well. The bass response of the Earcandy is what makes me stick with it...the other 4x12's sound about as good as the Buzzbomb, but the Earcandy's bass response is superior.

I can't play a 4x12 until I find one that sounds better than the Buzzbomb.

10. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

what speakes do you run in your buzzbomb?

11. martins3325

martins3325 Supporting Member

I agree with the above, dont believe the hype no 2x12 will sound as big as a good 4x12. That said the best 2x12 ive owned is the Marshall 2061CX ..looks bad ass and sounds big..because it is big --for a 2x12--. I took it one step further and had Swanson build me a custom 2061CX that has the same depth as a 4x12 (14in as opposed to 12in) and it sounds even bigger. But the 2061CX is still killer.

12. Erik

Erik Member

I'm using a V30 and an Eminence Man'O War. I'm probably going to put another Man'O War in there as it is a good match with my current setup.

Believe the hype...it's a very deep cab...16" deep. Like I said...I'd love to go back to a 4x12, but not until I find one better sounding than this cab.

13. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

I've got one on order...

got a few speakers to try in it
    I have a Mesa 90w celestion and a Weber silver bell 50w alnico I am going to try in it

I won it direct, new on ebay and the default speakers are wizards, I may get those or not, I didn't like the governors.. too mid focused and mushy on the lowend when pushed

Tim realy likes the wizards, I spoke with Swanson and he hates them, bu the got an early release pair and so he said maybe the newer ones are better.... who knows, fun to experiment

14. Erik

Erik Member

Exactly. I'd love to know your take on the Mesa 90w celestions...I'm thinking of trying them in there. Oh, one bit of advice with this cab, elevate it off the floor. This little honey throws A TON of bass...I found that elevating about 12 inches or so off the ground is the secret to making this cab really come alive (not that it needs it). This cab put my 4x12's on ice...and holds its own and then some against my other guitarist's 4x12.

Actually, maybe I should buy another Buzzbomb and run the two of them together...

15. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

I've got one on order...

got a few speakers to try in it
    I have a Mesa 90w celestion and a Weber silver bell 50w alnico I am going to try in it first, vertically, with the 90 on the bottom and the the silver bell uptop.. I think that should give a nice combo

I won it direct, new on ebay and the default speakers are wizards, I may get those or not, I didn't like the governors.. too mid focused and mushy on the lowend when pushed

Tim realy likes the wizards, I spoke with Swanson and he hates them, bu the got an early release pair and so he said maybe the newer ones are better.... who knows, fun to experiment

16. Badger71

Badger71 Member

I let the bass player have the "big bottom" sound. I like to fill the middle....and the THD does that just fine. I did hear a Genz Benz G-Flex that sounded rather full in the bottom, though.