2x8 cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by scott58, Feb 2, 2008.

1. scott58

scott58 Member

In my quest for a low watt amp I think i've found the head that will suit my needs.

http://www.drzamps.com/miniz_head.html

Now i'm trying to decide on a cabinet. I want the highest quality speakers I can get for around $750. This is also going to be a low volume setup for home practice only. I'm just looking for the best possible tone before the neighbors call the cops and not after. Size is secondary to quality. Just don't know if I'd be happier with 2x8's over 1x12 etc..in that price range. To may choices to wrap my brain around. I mainly play Zeppelin and floyd. Do other stuff, but like those the best. Don't know squat about speaker selection so any help is appreciated. thanks

2. bosstone

bosstone Member

As long as you have a good attenuator you can chose any size or number of speakers you want. The biggest drawback of 8" speakers is that there are very few to chose from. I have come to love 10" speakers. I have an Ampeg VL 502 that had a great built in attenuator and find that I can get any amount of loudness or quietness I want using an older Marshall 1965B, 4 X 10" cab. I have had many, many speaker/cab combinations and I don't think it gets a whole lot better than this. At only 44 lbs, moving it around is no problem and more speakers will generally have more harmonic content. These cabs can usually be had for about $300.00. Use the remaining money for something else that will improve your sound instead or wasting it on a high dollar cab that in all likelihood won't sound any better and probably not as good.

3. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

4. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

SCott!

I found a Satelite speaker in a gorgeous,yet old, mahogany cabinet that probably from a Magnovox style hi-fi ,the one you looked down and slid the tops one way to cover and expse the turnetable & receiver;a console.
    I removed the 12 inch speaker and put two 8'' alinico Jensens from a Organ I tore apart. I used this with a PT to PT 5f1 circuit my friend made me. IT was a great combo. You might want to look at making your own closed back OR finding a 1 X 12 cabinet, remove the baffle and make your own 2X8 baffle. Get a couple of 8" webber and call it a day. In fact[​IMG] her's on that sold on E-bay

5. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

WEll do a search on e-bay 2x8 on solds and you will find the 2x8 cabiinet this guy made for himself. I couldn't post the URL

6. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Earcandy makes a cool 2X8" cab!!

7. scott58

scott58 Member

Thanks. I'll check into it a bit farther. 4x10's would be to much for the space i have available. I've got 2x10's on my PA, 2x8's in my vox and 1x10 in my peavey (all SS). Space is becoming an issue. Although it's relatively cheap stuff i don't want to sell and i actually use all of it on a daily basis for a variety of different tones, but the stuff I like best I want to try and improve and move toward analog. I just don't have a need killer blow out the windows kinda stuff. Just want good quality. Thanks again.