3 Billion Fewer Wild Birds Than 1970

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by chrisr777, Sep 19, 2019.

1. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

People who think the loss of biodiversity is a laughing matter are, essentially, hiding from the danger in front of them.

You apparently think it's a joke that people are concerned about things like this. You apparently think it's an overreaction to try to do something about it. Hopefully you are not the kind who will go out and shoot a few Sage Grouse just to show those treehugging conservationists exactly what you think of their protections.

The Captain likes this.
  2. Juneaumike

Juneaumike Member

The loss of "biodiversity" is not a laughing matter, nor is it a fact. What is a laughing matter is people who think a guitar forum is a great place to push their overwrought, half-baked, politically driven, pseudo studies intended to sell a tired environmental narrative to people who have their own minds and their own eyes and are able to draw more rational conclusions from real science, unencumbered by the highly compromised Big E.

I know what you think you are doing here. You're just not very successful at it. Maybe we should stick to talking about music, whaddaya think?

ixnay, chirills and FLYING V 83 like this.
  3. Juneaumike

Juneaumike Member

@chrisr777, this guy was giving you good advice. Hopefully you'll pull your head out of the sand in time to take it. ;)

coltranemi2012 likes this.
  4. RhytmEarl

RhytmEarl Member

That's all I needed to read. Thumbs down.

5. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

Well, these are all certainly words. Wtf is “Big E”?

6. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

No, I think I'll continue to talk about real science and ignore the naysayers in the peanut gallery.

Roark and Ampedusa like this.
  7. Ampedusa

Ampedusa Supporting Member

You asked...:p

chrisr777, Juneaumike and Jason_77 like this.
  8. Juneaumike

Juneaumike Member

Yes, please do keep proselytizing your orthodoxy to the masses. Meanwhile, the earth's green spaces have grown, not shrunk, by 14 percent in the last 30 years. Our "biodiversity" is actually getting bigger and the sky appears to be taking its own sweet time in falling.

I love science. It's so, uh, flexible.

9. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

Although American vultures are doing well, the worldwide vulture population is in free fall. A big factor is poaching, where vultures are killed as a byproduct of big game poaching - basically the last thing you want if you've just killed an elephant is a big column of vultures signposting the fact whilst you're still in the area, so any animal killed by poachers is immediately laced with fast acting poison to ensure any virus that land don't take off again.

It's a catastrophe because vultures are critical parts of the ecosystem, cleaning up after everyone else and preventing the spread of disease that comes from animal remains bring let to rot. In India where vulture populations are also collapsing, the decline is having a profound effect on human health, because without vultures to clean up animal remains diseases such as botulism are finding their way into water sources that are relied upon for impoverished communities. So it isn't just the vultures that suffer.

Thumbs up to the good old turkey vulture though, those guys seem to be doing great. One of my favourite things about visiting the US is seeing circling turkey vultures everywhere, and I can happily watch them for hours. Amazing animals!

The Captain and chrisr777 like this.
  10. Ampedusa

Let me guess, you're not sold on climate change either?

11. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

That brings up the concept of umbrella species. Certain species that can be considered a linchpin in an ecosystem that other species depend on in a direct or indirect way for survival.

12. Juneaumike

Juneaumike Member

Yes, and you now have bald eagles common in Southern states where just a couple of decades they were rare to nonexistent.

13. chirills

chirills Member

Is this the same climate change they've been warning about since I was in 8th grade in 1989?

Juneaumike and coltranemi2012 like this.
  14. Juneaumike

Juneaumike Member

The fundamental problem with modern science is that one has a choice of either being "sold" on it or not. Science is not religion, nor is it a popular vote. If someone puts forth a scientific theory and other people are banished, punished, "othered" and have their career threatened for interrogating the theory, that's a good indication that something is amiss.

I'm "sold" on the free exchange of ideas and the rigors of scientific inquiry. When that makes its return, then people can actually have a reasoned discussion about a lot of things, including climate change. I frankly don't understand how reasonable people could draw any conclusions amidst a hostile landscape of climate science.

crhfish and FLYING V 83 like this.
  15. coltranemi2012

coltranemi2012 Member

It’s going to be no going back in 12 years since 1989

Juneaumike likes this.
  16. Ampedusa

Yes, Science, it's fascinating.

https://time.com/5652972/july-2019-hottest-month/

It will be 101 here next week, getting close to the latest 100 degree day recorded here. Fake news right?

Nevets, chrisr777 and Simon like this.
  17. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

So in the long run that kinda makes the Humans the culprit for not spaying and neutering the cats.
    I live in the country and some of my crappy neighbors just let them breed away and starve, or dump a bag of kittens on your road. Also Starving cats are not good hunters.
    People SUCK!!

pomfret likes this.
  18. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Gibson Geezer Silver Supporting Member

I remember the 1970 Newsweek cover warning of the coming ice age.
    Then All Gore said we're all going to fry.
    I think it's hilarious to worry about the birds & bees but not North Korea, but that's a whole other thread.

Simon and Juneaumike like this.
  19. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

RunninWDevil, The Captain and Nevets like this.
  20. nsureit

nsureit Old Guy...but not too old Silver Supporting Member

Human encroachment, environmental toxins, habitat displacement.