3 Billion Fewer Wild Birds Than 1970

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by chrisr777, Sep 19, 2019.

1. bluwoodsman

bluwoodsman Member

In some cases just about exactly the same way they do today. The Nationwide breeding bird survey was begun in the 60's if I recall correctly. I'll check...

Okra likes this.
  2. bluwoodsman

bluwoodsman Member

3. mdog114

mdog114 Member

How did they count the birds?

4. bluwoodsman

bluwoodsman Member

For the BBS:
    25 mile transects, stops about every 1/2mile, run during the breeding season, in the morning when birds are most active and vocal. Survey locations chosen to represent the range of habitat quality. Run year after year in the same place unless something major regarding safety or ability to hear along the routes change.

Count birds sighted and those they hear from each stop. Surveyers are trained-and/or are required to pass visual and auditory (bird song) tests, I believe.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    sundog964 likes this.
  5. Juneaumike

Juneaumike Member

In over 100 posts on the topic of a bird survey, the OP and others have managed to broach global warming, global cooling, "science deniers," biodiversity losses of catastrophic levels (false), the use of pesticides and their effects on several prey birds, the downfall of the Sage Grouse, the fate and prevalence of the Turkey Vulture, the Bald Eagle, illegal poaching, human encroachment, environmental toxins and habitat displacement, and even plastic rain. One guy even summed it all up by lamenting that it comes from "having humans involved." (1. we're not in charge and 2. who would you rather be in charge? Eels?) I'm sure I've missed a pet issue or two here, this is just off the top of my head.

In terms of environmental advocacy, I'd say the OP has hit a grand slam in pushing political issues that, by definition defy a "consensus opinion." And, how bout that, he even agrees with me:

So I'd say you need no help from me in "shoehorning" politics into this thread. It's infected by it. You've elbowed your way into a few conversations that I've been a party to and as I recall, its always in the service of one sentence trolling remarks. It'd be nice to hear a less guarded post from you that lasts longer than a snide remark in passing.

abadiemet, wetordry and FLYING V 83 like this.
  6. MrSteve

MrSteve Member

7. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

So based on this do you assume that the earths climate should never change?

We have so much data that it has always changed. Why are people so surprised that isn’t does.

coltranemi2012, SteveO and Juneaumike like this.
  8. chirills

chirills Member

Hopefully you're in the shorts are OK on stage camp...That's pretty warm, but you are in Texas.

9. The Captain

The Captain Member

Fixed it for you. Put a bell on that cat. They are ruthless predators.

10. The Captain

The Captain Member

So, here’s the thing. The acid rain was real, the problem was taken seriously and lots of things changed for the better to rectify it.
    How does that make a mockery of concerns about ecological problems that are also real ?
    Have a look at pics of European cities in the 70’s. The buildings were all filthy, cars everywhere, power lines, ugly.
    Now all clean and sparkly, lots of car free spaces, bicycles are proliferating, ugly poles strung with wires gone.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  11. RunninWDevil

RunninWDevil Member

But I know... it’s my own damn fault

Sidney Vicious likes this.
  12. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

But he could no longer sneak up on mice, moles, ground squirrels, rabbits....
    And you can "fix" that back.

Simon likes this.
  13. FlyingPickle

FlyingPickle Member

Consider the 'canary in the coal mine' argument. If a 3rd of anything had died off..people, bees, cats, dogs, fish, most would ask 'why' and worry about a danger that might lurk ahead. The argument that cats can predate on animals to this level, that have the ability to sit in a tree and fly away is silly and seriously 'anti cat'. The reasons are more likely reduction of food supply(insects/bees), pesticides, extreme cold/heat, declining fresh water sources, and increasing human encroachment into the natural habitat. While this will probably be lumped into 'Global Warming', the reality is that birds, like fish are pillars of the ecosystem..less birds, less fish, less fresh water, less clean air, all of which is raising more then idle curiosity among those who's business is forward looking.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    chrisr777 likes this.
  14. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Any more bickering, forcing politics into it or general breaking or rule #1 and the thread will be closed, after warnings are issued. Or concurrently whatever.

15. NotTheArrow

NotTheArrow Member

Ok.
    EVERYTHING has a shelf life.