3 Channels.........50 Watts...............

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gainiac, Feb 7, 2006.

1. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

EL34's. Master Volume. Parallel FX loop. 50 Watts. Boost(s).

Channel 1: Chimey spanky clean, not necessarily authentic Fender, but brilliant round chimey sound that you can also get skinny and funky with. Let's call it Fender inspired.

Channel 2: Classic Plexi+, better, I want to cover 70's through 80's here, nice tight articulate and woody with plenty of thump.

Channel 3: Modded Marshall High gain lead channel with an obvious family resemblance to channel 2, just alot more gain on tap, a nice round brilliant sound when you are high up on the upper strings all the while retaining a nice tight percussive articulation on the lows. Definitely a single note channel.

Now, Their seems to be quite a few offerings in the 100 watt range, Bogner Ecstasy, VHT Ultralead, Framus Cobra, etc....

They key here is 50 Watts. 100 is way to much for most anybody and I think the dynamic range on most 50's is scaled way more to most realistic situaitons. I live, play, and gig in NYC and the surrounding area.

The least favorite alternative for me is buying a 100 watt model and pulling a pair of tubes which isn't an idea I'm to keen on. Unless I get assurance that tonally this isn't to much of a factor.

I'm looking to streamline my front end, I'm sick and tired of tapdancing every time I need to grab a lead. I want to hit ONE button and be where I need to be. I'd rather not invest in a switching system ala TC G-System (As much as it gives me gas).

This would free up my board for more unique FX instead of having the multiple OD's.

My current main amp is a VHT 50 ST which I really dig. I also have a Sewell Texaplex which is a one channel monster.

Thanks for any and all input!!!!

2. DodsonLP

DodsonLP Member

This may be an odd suggestion but if you can find an Ampeg Tri-axis VT 60 it may have the tones you are looking for. It doesn't exactly match your variables but it is worth a listen. I have a VT120 which is the 120 watt model of the same amp and it sounds a lot like a three channel modern Mesa amp. It has 60 watts, 3 channels clean, crunch and high gain, an f/x loop, spring reverb, pentode/triode switch, presence knob with a high/low damping switch and speaker outputs. The tubes are 6L6 but they sound great!

3. sws1

sws1 Member

Ecstasy has a 1/2 power switch. BAM. 50 watts.

4. 46and2

46and2 Member

Splawn Quick Rod w/ 1/2 power switch. Has 3 "gears" for different OD sounds.

5. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

A 50 Watt Demeter TGA-3 might float your boat. Thing is the clean is a little different than you describe as your preference. It is an amazing clean - astonishingly good clean. But it's more like fiery red hot clean, not a dark round clean. It's not too angular, though.

I guess the half power setting of the XTC doesn't make you happy?

But pulling two tubes might not be that big a tone issue; I suppose it depends on the amp, how you play, and what you want to hear. I haven't pulled two tubes that often, but when I have, I haven't had the experience of thinking the amp tone was ruined.

6. SFW

SFW Member

Rivera KHR 50. Enjoy!

7. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

I hadn't realized the half power was a seperate function from the class A/ AB switch..........So that makes the Bogner a contender.........I'd be interested in trying out the head version of the Nomad, the Ampeg seems to be a very rare beast........

8. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

I've really liked the Rivera's I've played!!! KR55 is opne I need to play somewhere.

9. beachwail

beachwail Member

rivera rake will get you pretty close. 55 watts and a pentode/triode switch.
    it's a tweaker though...

channel 1: definitely not super chimey, but very articule and very powerful eq, a bit fendery
    channel 2: growly like an old marshall, but maybe a little thinner in the low mids and
    slightly more modern sounding. again, eq possibilities.
    channel 1 Boosted: very TS-on-fender type of sound. Nice lead and rhythm tones
    esp when riding volume knob.
    channel 2 Boosted: not super-high gain, but thick and liquidy with lots of
    harmonic feedback potential.

Mine may be for sale----
    Feel free to PM or email me.

10. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

Great Price.......Some cool clips on the site. The EVH clone made me laugh!! It's hard work to sound that close though!!!

The Rush "Anthem" clip was IMPRESSIVELY HOT...........Parkers really shine with the right amp.

The clean channel clips are kinda of blah though. Could be the recording quality, but it doesn't sound tight and brilliant at all on the cleans.

11. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

Wait a second, The Splawn is a 2 channel amp!!! Lots of options but 2 channels never the less. What's the deal with the OD1/ OD2 function? It seems that the 2nd channel (which is the OD channel) you can switch overdrive levels.......

12. Plan9FOS

Plan9FOS Member

If you have the bread, get the XTC ... and if you get the ClassAB/A option, you can cut the power down a bit more after the 1/2 power switch. I have never heard a better hard rock tone than an XTC on the blue channel ... what a great amp ... wish I still owned one ...

If you only use the 3rd channel for leads, look into a Shiva with the boost mod. You can separately control the volume of the boost, making it act like a 3 channel amp. The Shiva does not cruise like the XTC though ...

13. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

BUMP,

Anybody else have some input?

Thanks again!

Martin

14. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Here are my views on that.

I love Riveras. That is pretty obvious.

The KHR has a gain channel which is scooped, and has a particular sound, and it's sort of modern-only to my ears. If you like that sound, that's good news. I have a couple KHRs and I'm not in love with that gain channel.

So if you have played other Riveras the KHR does have a very Rivera flavor clean channel, and it's just fine. The gain channel is not that much like other Riveras. It's sort of like a smooth Mesa sound. You said you wanted a nice round woody gain channel. I don't really hear that with KHR.

The KHR has shared EQ for the two gain channels. If you use the third channel, that sort of forces the EQ settings and the second channel has to deal with that.

You really have to play one to find out whether it's what you want.

The guy who suggested the Rake - well, Rake is one of my favorite amps of all time. He makes a good point about using the boost of the gain channel to get your second and third sounds. I expect you could be happy with a Jake/Rake if you are OK with using the two channels and built in boosts to get the sound as opposed to three true channels (which is one reason I didn't suggest Jake/Rake in the first place). It's sort of the same deal as the shared EQ on the KHR, except that Jake/Rake has sounds closer to what you described.

15. Bad Back

Bad Back Member

Hello Riverastoasters,

If I rembember correctly, on a previous thread you described the differences in the Rake and Fandango.

I did a search but crapped out after a time.

If you have the time, perhaps you can direct me to it, or, perhaps describe it again here.

TIA

16. Ricker

Ricker Member

The Koch multitone 50.............
    I have a 100 watt MT but they all come with triode/pentode 1/2 power switches......so I run my MT in 50 watt mode triode............The 50 will then get you a pleasant 25 with no need for an attenuator............
    Channel 1 Clean,CH2 shares EQ with CH1 and is a marshall type crunchy bluesy...........and channel 3 for a Soldano type overdrive.............

Great amp
    just finished up recording with it....has volume boost on every channel with reverb and 2 effect loops...........(a serial and a parrallel)\

Cheers
    Rick

17. woude

woude Member

+1 try the 50w multitone if you can, preferably a head with another cabinet with greenbacks or g12H's to steer the sound further marshally.

18. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

MEsa MK IV can run EL 34s and has a 50 watt mode (as well as 85 watt, 70 watt, and 30 watt).

3 channels, EQ (5-band), reverb, programmable FX loop, all footswitchable (except the reverb).

VERY Flexible amp, can sound VERY Marshally, or not. Tweaker to the max, but once you find your settings, you're there.

19. norrin radd

norrin radd Member

20. MrMo

MrMo Member

I second the Mesa Boogie Mark IV suggestion. Sounds like exactly what you're looking for. Read the reviews on Harmony Central.

Mo