• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

3 Dustin Francis Fuzz Faces compared

Tiny Montgomery

Silver Supporting Member
At 9:10, it says “use Alkaline batteries,” but the Eveready black cat pictured is a carbon-zinc (which is common wisdom). Probably a mistake, but figured I’d give you a heads up, if someone hasn’t already.

Don’t the Dunlop Hendrix models have BC108’s stock? Is it just a matter of NOS TFK vs current production transistors?

Third Stone

Thanks! Mistake on my part. And you’re right the Hendrix has bc108 and sounds decent. I tried adding TFKs even to my Hendrix, (I’ve build a few FFclones before) but it wasn’t as good as what Dustin did.

Last edited:

tinkercity

Silver Supporting Member
Nice comparison there! Dustin is still in my opinion, the fuzz whisperer when it comes to the Dallas Arbiter circuit.

tinkercity

Silver Supporting Member
All of them sound great, I have a Bc183, if I had the money I would have bought a 108 too.
Totally agree. My favorite is the 1st one I got way back in the beginning, his Hendrix replica with NKT's but they're all so great. No one does what Dustin can do with the circuit, the look and absolutely most importantly the voicing.

PedalFreak

Silver Supporting Member
Awesome! Want one of these real bad. Had been talking to Dustin about them, planned on getting one to have him work his magic on then covid and all of it's craziness hit and haven't been able to do it. Someday hopefully!

EXP

Supporting Member
I tried adding TFKs even to my Hendrix, (I’ve build a few FFclones before) but it wasn’t as good as what Dustin did.
Matching the transistors is important but it’s the tuning that makes all the difference. Dustin has good ears and can finely tune each unit to the exact sound in your head.

Nice AYE. I was thinking about selling one of my Ivors but maybe I shouldn’t now. I usually keep the fuzz around 70% and volume maxed.

Tiny Montgomery

Silver Supporting Member
Matching the transistors is important but it’s the tuning that makes all the difference. Dustin has good ears and can finely tune each unit to the exact sound in your head.

Nice AYE. I was thinking about selling one of my Ivors but maybe I shouldn’t now. I usually keep the fuzz around 70% and volume maxed.
What specific “fine tuning” are you referring to? Bias, or modifications?

Mikeroesoft

Silver Supporting Member
I think more than anything, Dustin is obsessed with original fuzz faces, owns quite a few of them and knows them inside and out. He’s all about creating replicas of originals. He’s not optimizing these circuits with mods or changing the circuit but he’s taken good vintage FF’s and compared them to not-so-good ones and can consistently recreate the sounds and feel of the good ones.

Top Bottom