3 EHX pedals broken

adamhopeless

Hi everyone,

I have 3 'big box' electro harmonix pedals that have broken within a week of eachother!

Deluxe Memory Man
Pulsar
Holy Grail

They all completely cut my signal off when pressed, with no sound or effect what so ever. With the holy grail not being true bypass, this doesn't let any signal through when bypassed also. The holy grail is only part broken and only does this sometimes.

I have been using a pedaltrain 3 hardcase and im wondering if they've been shook inside of the flight case which has caused them to go off?

any help would be great, ta!

axdxm

Silver Supporting Member
Power surge? You blew all the protective zener diodes out?

Whats the scoop on your power supply?

L0ki

If they are older units, I'd look to see if wires or solder joints are loose. I opened my micro synthesizer yesterday and the ground wire came off the solder joint pretty easily.

Three in a short time is definitely odd but could always be coincidence or like you said jostling.

mdmack

Sounds about right for the big box EHX stuff, I have had quite a few of those go out (DMM, Holy Grail, White Finger). They are really good about fixing their pedals. I have a friend that is pretty rough on his gear sometimes and he plays a DMM all the time, and I cannot tell you how many times he has sent it in for repair. Just call them up and talk to them about it.

thecornman

Seems odd for all three of them to go at one time! Saying that though there is no company out there that I have had more quality control problems with then EHX. Not even close.

DustyRhodesJr

Seems odd for all three of them to go at one time! Saying that though there is no company out there that I have had more quality control problems with then EHX. Not even close.
Me either. I have had to swear EHX off completely.

It is crazy how this is almost never brought up, but on other brands that
is all you hear.

I have already wondered what the quality of all those "Soul Foods" that
they are selling will turn out to be.

OHSOFUZZY

All the reliability things said......I can't find anything else that sounds as awesome as an original big box POG.

thecornman

Me either. I have had to swear EHX off completely.

It is crazy how this is almost never brought up, but on other brands that
is all you hear.

I have already wondered what the quality of all those "Soul Foods" that
they are selling will turn out to be.
Don't know about the Soul Foods, but I did take a chance on the Glove and it had problems on arrival. Will not be taking anymore chances with them again.

Black Dog

I currently have or have had in the past a big box DMM, 2 Holy Grails, NYC Big Muff, big box Small Stone and Small Clone, as well as a Soul Food, Hot Tubes Nano, LPB-1. I have never had a single problem with any of them? Maybe I just got lucky.

L0ki

Ive hadt quite a few, too, and they've all been good and reliable. Even the microsyth which is old, beaten and a little bruised with half of its sliders broken works perfectly except for me deciding to disect it, but that's an easy fix at that.

JSteed

Yeah, I've had a 5-6 EHX pedals over the years, no issues with any of them! (Cept for an old Small Stone that was DOA thanks to a dodgy Emporium deal.)

LaceSensor

barely a hiccup on my ehx pedals. the switches do fail... esp the older dpdt xwing ones.
This is my experience. Only issue I had was a stereo poly chorus with x wing. Add a proper footswitch, nay bother,

I own

Micro synth big box
Poly chorus big box
Q tron big box
Hog
Pog original
Big muff NYC
79 deluxe mistress
Worm big box

Probably more. No issues.

adamhopeless

Power surge? You blew all the protective zener diodes out?

Whats the scoop on your power supply?
Ah thats a good idea! although... I use a Voodoo Labs pedal power 2 which has power surge protection on my pulsar.

And i use the normal power supplies with the pulsar and the memory man.

What do you think this could be?

Cheers