• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

3 or 4 channel tube amps?

Gearbuilders

Just wondering what's out there with over 2 channels...and I mean real channels, not 2 channels with a lead boost that they call a separate channel. :D

Thanks

Mike_E_McGee

The Boogie Mark IV has three seperate channels, but on the clean, and crunch channels the bass and mid controls are shared. I still consider it a 3 channel amp (especially with the graphic EQ switched in on the crunch).

tga-3

Gold Supporting Member
They are limited, but old Demeter TGA-3's are available every so often, one sold on ebay last week. Great amps in the ballpark of $1200-$1500. A wide range of tones ranging from users Clint Black to Sonny Landreth, Bonnie Raitt, John Hiatt, to the rip roaring Michael Ward and Stone Temple Pilots. It's all there and Demeter is very helpful if you should have any questions or help in keeping them up and running.
FWIW,
Rick

propska

off the top of my head (please correct me if I'm wrong)

Diezel - 4 channels
Bogner Ecstasy - 3 channels (I think?)
Cruise MQ4 - 4 channels (I'm not sure if they are still in business)

bikerdude2

Silver Supporting Member
Originally posted by propska
off the top of my head (please correct me if I'm wrong)

Diezel - 4 channels
Bogner Ecstasy - 3 channels (I think?)
3 channels of Bliss on the Bogner:dude

rjmmusic

Platinum Supporting Member
There aren't too many, are there?

I can think of:
Diezel VH4 (4 independent channels)
Diezel Herbert (3 independent channels)
Randall and Egnater modular heads (3 ch) and preamps (4 ch)

The Ecstasy has shared tone controls between channels 2 and 3, so it doesn't count if you're looking for independent EQs on each channel.

Any others?

bikerdude2

Silver Supporting Member
Originally posted by rjmmusic
There aren't too many, are there?

The Ecstasy has shared tone controls between channels 2 and 3.

Any others?
It also has pre EQ switches and a assignable plexi mode to help offset the shared tone controls FWIW.:)

K

kro

VHT Pitbull Ultralead has 3 channels, plus on the fly gain stacking. A very versatile amp.

rjmmusic

Platinum Supporting Member
Originally posted by kro
VHT Pitbull Ultralead has 3 channels, plus on the fly gain stacking. A very versatile amp.
Another amp with shared tone controls on channels 2 and 3, although the built-in EQ can make this a non-issue. Same for the VHT Hundred/CLX.

Another thread reminded me: I think the Mesa Nomad series has three channels with separate EQ for each.

Also: the three channel Mesa Dual and Triple Rectifiers.

TieDyedDevil

Originally posted by propska
I really hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes here, but if you see one of these... RUN AWAY!

There's a local dealer who's still stuck with one of two of those at fire-sale prices, and it has been at least a couple years since Cruise closed their doors.

Their amps look good on paper, but man... the execution just doesn't cut it at all.

Wayne

The Ampeg VL503 had three separate channels; each with its own volume, gain, EQ and reverb. There was also an overall master for the amp. Effects loop. Speaker emulated out. Casters. V30 speaker. It would run two EL34s or 6550s. Attenuator. External bias points. Designed by Lee Jackson.

http://www.leejackson.com/VL503.htm

Nice sounding amp but it had a very complex PCB.

Wayne

eaeolian

Originally posted by Joe
Mesa Boogie Road King is four channel.
The newer Rectos are three channels, as well, and both amps have a lead boost, and seperate gain/EQ and voicing for all channels.

Of course, the Road King has a million more switchable options for each channel. I've seen airliners with fewer controls.

Dave B

Exit... Dual Stage Left
Gold Supporting Member
Didn't GT make one a few years back? I'm remembering Clean, Mean, and Scream. Or was that for one of their rackmount units that went along with one of their stereo power amps?

JDouglee

Custom Audio 3+ preamp, with 3 independant channels, nothing shared. Plus that great switchable Tube EQ section for added presence & thump :AOK

baald

i had an ampeg vt-120 (i believe that was the model). Late 80s or early 90s production. It had 3 channels IIRC, though it might have had some shared eq. Unfortunately i took it apart as i was gonna use the iron for a bass amp for a friend, but the friend passed away and i think i stepped on the PCB or something.... (actually probably just "borrowed" parts knowing myself). the trannies on this thing were awesome though - actually had thick steel gussets on the power tranny. i wish it was still around. i know i thought it was a cool amp back in the day, but i wonder if i'd still like it....

baald

Legend

Hughes & Kettner Triamp MKII. 3 Dual Channels. Each channel has an A and B mode, with seperate gains, and shared EQs. So that's 3 seperate EQs, and 6 different gain selections.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom